Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Ford GT worth $1,000,000 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2005-FORD-GT-AUTOGRAPHED-COLLECTORS-CAR_W0QQitemZ370102525935QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Trucks QQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370102525935&_tr ksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1 318

History behind the car
Chris Theodore had Ford use the sonic blue paint code from the Ford catalog to have a custom painted Ford GT done at the factory. When certain people found out they said no way, and the car was subsequently auctioned off at the Cattle Baron's ball for around $330k.

Worth 1M? in 15 years, easily.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
philip
Regular User

The cars are holding their value (list price). But this seems a little extreme. I couldn't tell if it sold.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

the main issue with me is Sonic blue is really not a pretty color on the GT
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
fabro_s
Regular User

I really loved tha color, looks beautiful!

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
pitfield
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2005-FORD-GT-AUTOGRAPHED-COLLECTORS-CAR_W0QQitemZ370102525935QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Trucks QQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370102525935&_tr ksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1 318

History behind the car
Chris Theodore had Ford use the sonic blue paint code from the Ford catalog to have a custom painted Ford GT done at the factory. When certain people found out they said no way, and the car was subsequently auctioned off at the Cattle Baron's ball for around $330k.

Worth 1M? in 15 years, easily.
You are off your tits my son.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
You are off your tits my son.
A 1963 Z06 will pull about 800-1m $

A 427 SC Cobra will pull 800-1.2 M

A R code GT350 will pull 800-1.5M

Why wouldn't a uber-rare GT pull some big numbers considering time v. inflation? It's already traded hands once for nearly 400...

That, and no stories GT's are still pulling 150-190 +
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
F250
Regular User

A 1963 Z06 will pull about 800-1m $

A 427 SC Cobra will pull 800-1.2 M

A R code GT350 will pull 800-1.5M

Why wouldn't a uber-rare GT pull some big numbers considering time v. inflation? It's already traded hands once for nearly 400...

That, and no stories GT's are still pulling 150-190 +
1. Shelby Cobras and Mustangs bring big bucks because Carroll Shelby is a Le Mans winning race driver and his cars won hundreds of races including an FIA World Championship.

2. Shelby's racing cars were driven by some of the best drivers in the world.

3. Shelby's cars have a racing pedigree.

4. Like him or not (I don't), Shelby has a loyal following. He is swamped with autograph seekers at $50 to $1,000 each.

6. J Mays' team just put the GT40 into a copier and set it on 110%.

7. The Ford GT does not have a racing pedigree.

8. The Ford GT will be as collectible as those Corvette Pace Car replicas people bought new 15-20 years ago and put away in their plastic wrappers. They sell a at Barrett-Jackson for original window sticker price - maybe.

KEEP DREAMING.

F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
1. Shelby Cobras and Mustangs bring big bucks because Carroll Shelby is a Le Mans winning race driver and his cars won hundreds of races including an FIA World Championship.

2. Shelby's racing cars were driven by some of the best drivers in the world.

3. Shelby's cars have a racing pedigree.

4. Like him or not (I don't), Shelby has a loyal following. He is swamped with autograph seekers at $50 to $1,000 each.

6. J Mays' team just put the GT40 into a copier and set it on 110%.

7. The Ford GT does not have a racing pedigree.

8. The Ford GT will be as collectible as those Corvette Pace Car replicas people bought new 15-20 years ago and put away in their plastic wrappers. They sell a at Barrett-Jackson for original window sticker price - maybe.

KEEP DREAMING.
just LOL

The new one is a reflection of the old one in many ways. Where to begin...

1st. Shelby's autograph money goes entirely to his charity.
2nd. The GT is a ground up highly advanced chassis that makes the LP560 look ameturish (according to a lambo chassis engineer)
3rd. The GT is the most drivable supercar... perhaps ever. All with zero aids. Engineering marvel by itself
4th It's faster than the Ferrari/ lambo / porsche of it's time/competitors.
5th The car is racing in ALMS GT2 without factory support better than the other cars w/out such support. A large part of the issue there is drivers
6th the GT3 version of the car is a VERY winning car.(w/out factory support) Pedegree is right there.
The GT is still a very desirable car; even with nearly 4000 produced (read, fewer than F430, or Gallardo) and is faster than anything produced at the time in terms of accel, and top speed.
7th, modifications haven't taken away any value of these cars. Nor much reliability!
8th - it wasn't Jay Mays team that built the GT. It was John Colletti, with Chris Theodore/ , Kip Ewing, Camilo Pardo, Jamal Hameedi, and others....
Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #9
philip
Regular User

just LOL

2nd. The GT is a ground up highly advanced chassis that makes the LP560 look ameturish (according to a lambo chassis engineer)
3rd. The GT is the most drivable supercar... perhaps ever. All with zero aids. Engineering marvel by itself
5th The car is racing in ALMS GT2 without factory support better than the other cars w/out such support. A large part of the issue there is drivers
6th the GT3 version of the car is a VERY winning car.(w/out factory support) Pedegree is right there.
The GT is still a very desirable car; even with nearly 4000 produced (read, fewer than F430, or Gallardo) and is faster than anything produced at the time in terms of accel, and top speed.
7th, modifications haven't taken away any value of these cars. Nor much reliability!
8th - it wasn't Jay Mays team that built the GT. It was John Colletti, with Chris Theodore/ , Kip Ewing, Camilo Pardo, Jamal Hameedi, and others....
I'd like to have a Ford GT. I was hoping they would start dropping like stones, they have not. There are 3500 of them so they will never be rare. They are not like F1's or GT40's where they made only 100 or so. I see them dropping to the 90's or 100's in a while especially if everyone keeps on making newer faster cars. I never thought I would see a Ferrari 355 in the 70's.

I agree this is like a Corvette pace car. Maybe worth in ten or twenty years 30% more than regular Ford GT's

BTW a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport will be auctioned in Phoenix in January. They only made 5. Look out.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
I'd like to have a Ford GT. I was hoping they would start dropping like stones, they have not. There are 3500 of them so they will never be rare. They are not like F1's or GT40's where they made only 100 or so. I see them dropping to the 90's or 100's in a while especially if everyone keeps on making newer faster cars. I never thought I would see a Ferrari 355 in the 70's.

I agree this is like a Corvette pace car. Maybe worth in ten or twenty years 30% more than regular Ford GT's

BTW a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport will be auctioned in Phoenix in January. They only made 5. Look out.
part of the problem now is most 1 GT owners are becoming fast 2 and 3 GT owners... they are hording them; where all that will be left are the salvage title cars... Watch out for title washing!

Also, the car is legal to drive all over the world, so there are cars that are going to other countries besides staying in the USA. 3500 may seem like a lot to help something drop like a stone: but without a "new" super Ford, it also makes it tough. The GT is an interesting animal, to be sure!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
philip
Regular User

where all that will be left are the salvage title cars... Watch out for title washing!
yeah all you have to do is go to "wrecked exotics.com" and see the used cars we will be buying in a few years. idiots.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
yeah all you have to do is go to "wrecked exotics.com" and see the used cars we will be buying in a few years. idiots.
There are some reputable people to use. GT's need PPI's just like any other exotic. The only bit is only one group should do it. If your interested in any GT... but a Salvage GT in particular is is have the "GT GUYS" inspect it.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
mayer
Regular User

Love the GT and can see a few examples commanding $1 million someday, like maybe the first one off the production line? Buy come on, what's so special about this one other than the Sonic Blue color? You can't have two #1 GTs or last GT off the line, but I can't see why someone can't just pay a really good shop to repaint their GT into a Sonic Blue color.

If I wanted a Sonic Blue GT badly, I'd just buy a red one and have it repainted.
mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I can't imagine it fetching high price either. It may be the only GT with Sonic Blue paint, but Sonic Blue itself isn't special. It might even be worth more if it was painted in Gulf livery and get Jackie Ickx to sign the car.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
F250
Regular User

just LOL

1. Please take a look at the financials for Shelby's "charity". Lessthan 5% has been given to children. Haven't you noticed that even Barrett-Jackson and Ford Motor Company have stopped donations to his charity at the B-J auctions?

2. When Shelby was building 427 Cobras, he ordered 100 chassis from AC Cars to build competition models. The sold slowly and many were given minimal street equipment so the could be sold to regular customers. These were the now iconic 427 S?Cs. The 1009 car run was never completed.

In the early 1990s, Shelby claimed he found the "remaining" unfinnished original 43 chassis from that 100 car run in his Gardena, California warehouse. He was coing to complete them as 1965 models because they were the oriuginal chassis. He signed affidavites with the California DMV claimi8ng he has lost the oiriginal titles and requested duplicates. Finishing the cars as 1965s would have exempted them from modern safety and smog requirements.

He started taking orders at $500,000. the LA times found out that the 43 chassis were built by Cobra restorer Mike McCluskey in Torrance, California. AC Cars sued Shelby - they never built or delivered those 43 chassis back in 1965. The California DMV investigated Shelby for falsifying those 43 applications for replacement titles.

As far as I know, Carroll Shelby is the only car manufacturer that's been accused of counterfieting his own cars.

Yeah, he's a swell guy!

3. J Mays is VP of Global design at Ford. He brought his "retro futurism" to Ford after being credited for the Audi TT and Volkswagen New Beetle. He's in charge, just like Harley Earl was at GM.

4. There is no comparison between Shelby's racing history and the Ford GT's. You're nuts, or maybe just to young to know bette.r

5. It took way longer than 15 years for Shelby Cobras to be anything more than used cars.

7. I've driven Ford GTs, including the one in my photo and three original 427 Cobras (one of them was one of the cars used in the movie The Gumball Rally). The Ford GT will never become 20% as collectible as a Shelby Cobra.

Forget the pedigree and history. drive both and you'll instantly realize why the GT won't sell for $1,000,000 in 15 years.

One more time. These are collectibles:

This is a used car:

F250 is offline   Reply With Quote