Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
ViperASR
Regular User

Default Corvette ZR-1 Dealer

http://jalopnik.com/396780/dealer-go...rice-of-413000

Seems the mark-up on the ZR-1 makes the $30,000 markup on the GTR reasonable.

The sad part is, people are going to pay this price for the car. Seems Corvette fanboys are just as bad as GTR ones.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Hiyooooo!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
ViperASR
Regular User

Theres a picture floating around somewhere of the window sticker in a ZR-1 with a huge dealer markup on it.

*Edit, found it:

Thank god Standard Equipment is included or that would have been a deal breaker

So does that make Chevy more shameful than Nissan for allowing it to happen?

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis

Last edited by ViperASR; 10-03-2008 at 10:51 AM.
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Spiffu
Regular User

I've seen just as much markup on GTRs which would make them more expensive than a ZR1 in MSRP.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

instead of Adjusted Market Value...should substitute "Dealer's Greed".
Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Hooray for capitalism!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
F250
Regular User

I'm guessing none of you guys are old enough to remember the market price of the first ZR1.

Blame the dealers all you want, but this is supply vs. demand. The real blame is with GM not making enough ZR1s. (Maybe GM can't make many more ZR1s. Maybe they are losing money on each one. Maybe more ZR1s would drop the company's C.A.F.E. too much.) On the other hand, I do recall reading somewhere that GM could ramp up and build more.

There is no reason for dealers not to mark up the price $300,000. In the linked article, the gentleman who plunked down deposit #1 was told his dealer's allocation was 4 cars. Theoretically, if the dealer could sell all four for a $300K markup each, from a business standpoint, he'd be a fool not to.

Maybe the federal government should put togewther an agency to police automobile market prices. You, know, that way poor Obama supporters could afford to buy ZR1s. It would be just like the federal government helping poor people buy homes witrh variable rate no money down 100% loan to value loans.

We could call the new agency Freddie-MSRP.

I love it when guys who can't afford the car,or don't even want to buy one bitch about the fact that others are ready and willing to buy. It makes you all sound jealous.

Finally, there is not one person on this board who would walk away from an extra $300K per car if you could get it.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Spiffu
Regular User

Bull, I've seen plenty of GT500's in show rooms. All had at least a 200% mark up on them. $50k on top of the $44k msrp on almost all of the ones I saw. And I saw a lot of them.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
I love it when guys who can't afford the car,or don't even want to buy one bitch about the fact that others are ready and willing to buy. It makes you all sound jealous.

Finally, there is not one person on this board who would walk away from an extra $300K per car if you could get it.
I have a feeling you're assuming someone who can buy a $100,000 car can buy a $300,000 car. And no one in there right mind would buy a car that is suppose to be half the price of its competitors for a third more than its competitors. The people that have the ability to buy a $300,000 car tend to avoid bad investments, could you imagine the devaluation percentage when it drives off the lot, something close to 50%. Back to my original point, this guy who put a deposit down probably can afford the car now due to its inflated price and that's after making a deposit 2 1/2 years ago. You better blame the dealers for this crap, this guy had a verbal agreement to pay slightly over MSRP and they screwed him...as simple as it sounds it's just wrong. Oh, and I have yet to hear someone actually buying the car for this ridiculous price so who's ready and willing? The Brits are complaining about the 100k pounds (twice as much as a Z06) they have to pay to get into a ZR1, and that's GM's pricing. Stop making ignorant assumptions...

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
F250
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z View Post
I have a feeling you're assuming someone who can buy a $100,000 car can buy a $300,000 car. And no one in there right mind would buy a car that is suppose to be half the price of its competitors for a third more than its competitors. The people that have the ability to buy a $300,000 car tend to avoid bad investments, could you imagine the devaluation percentage when it drives off the lot, something close to 50%. Back to my original point, this guy who put a deposit down probably can afford the car now due to its inflated price and that's after making a deposit 2 1/2 years ago. You better blame the dealers for this crap, this guy had a verbal agreement to pay slightly over MSRP and they screwed him...as simple as it sounds it's just wrong. Oh, and I have yet to hear someone actually buying the car for this ridiculous price so who's ready and willing? The Brits are complaining about the 100k pounds (twice as much as a Z06) they have to pay to get into a ZR1, and that's GM's pricing. Stop making ignorant assumptions...
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A VERBAL CONTRACT FOR ANY AMOUNT OVER $500.00.

This is why a dealer cannot keep a deposit on any car without a fully executed contract that includes a VIN. Any deposit receipt from a dealer includes language that specifies that NOTHING, including price is guaranteed and that the deposit does not guarantee the delivery of a car at a specified price at any time.

Blame the dealers? You have to be kidding. If you are a Chevrolet dealer and you get 4 ZR1s and you can sell them for $400K each, you would have to be a raving lunatic to sell them for less. If the dealer gets four cars and can sell all them for $400K, that is where supply = demand and the market is in equilibrium.

It's Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price for a reason. I don't care who buys ZR1s for $400K. I don't care if they are smart, stupid, investors or just have too much money to give a damn. The only thing that matters is getting that last marginal dollar for each sale.

If Walmart can maximize profits by raising the price of paper towels 4 cents, they will. If those extra 4 cents drive customers to Kmart, Walmart will leave the price where it is.

Whine all you want. If you don't like it, move to North Korea or Cuba where you can enjoy the benefits of a planned economy - and a black market to get around the planned economy.

Once again: Why would you sell anything for one penny less than someone is willing to pay?

Read this now and understand it later. If I have four ZR1s and four buyers willing to pay $400K, I DON'T CARE if there are thousands of people unwilling to pay $400K bitching.

Stop it! I was born in Chicago and your post makes me embarrassed to admit it.

Last edited by F250; 10-04-2008 at 12:02 AM.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #11
loliea
Regular User

On eBay you can get a zr1 at 150k and a gt500 for 50k brand new from dealership. Still over MSRP by more reasonable.

loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #12
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A VERBAL CONTRACT FOR ANY AMOUNT OVER $500.00.