Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default 2009 F1 cars?

Williams ran one of the smaller and higher rear wings during testing at Jerez in Spain last week as part of their evaluation of a 2009 rear end.

And although the new-look wing caused a few raised eyebrows in the paddock and among fans who saw photographs, Brawn believes that it will not take long for the sport to accept how 2009 F1 cars look.

"They don't look bad to me, you get used to them," said Brawn when asked if he felt next year's generation of cars would not be as good looking at this year's models.

"It is like when we had narrow tyres and grooved tyres, they looked weird when they started but then you adjust. So it is a bit difficult for me to comment completely.

"I think they look okay - and they look in many ways nicer because the bodywork doesn't have all this furniture, the vortex generators, fins and wings. The bodywork is relatively clean. It is a much bigger front wing and smaller higher rear wing, but we have had things like that in the past."

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Almost looks in proportionate. Or even photo shopped in the first pic! I knew this was coming though..
Cleaner bodywork, but a pissy smaller rear wing.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
silentm
Regular User

weren't full slicks announced for next year? if yes why are they testing with the grooved tyres?
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
weren't full slicks announced for next year? if yes why are they testing with the grooved tyres?
Good question. I thought I read somewhere that Williams were testing the 09 rear, with the 08 front?

Probably to do a comparison beween this years car (and data) and measuring the impact and affects of the new rear. No doubt we'll start seeing full 09 kit, w/ slicks coming in coming weeks / months.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

They look... silly. I miss 70's F1 car design.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
04RCSTI
Regular User

I think they look awesome, its like a mix of group B,C , older F1, newer F1. Although the wing does look a little rediculous in the first pic.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Juho
Regular User

Err.... what?
The second pictures makes it actually look good(ish).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Spiffu
Regular User

I thought an aero package was being proposed where the wings when over the tires and a down slopping trailing edge went down between them.

The FXX I think was a test experiment for this (pretty successful I'd say)

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #9
blue8
Regular User

Yeah, slicks will be reintroduced next year

Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
How about because Bridgestone hasn't made any 2009 F1 slicks yet.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Cleaner bodywork, but a pissy smaller rear wing.
Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
I thought an aero package was being proposed where the wings when over the tires and a down slopping trailing edge went down between them.

You can thank the new F1 Technical Regulations for the smaller wings. The wings over/behind the rear wheels don't meet either the 2008 or 2009 Regulations.

2008 Regulation:
3.5 Width behind the rear wheel centre line :
Bodywork width behind the rear wheel centre line must not exceed 1000mm.
2009 Regulation:
3.5 Width behind the rear wheel centre line :
3.5.1 The width of bodywork behind the rear wheel centre line and less than 200mm above the reference plane must not exceed 1000mm.
3.5.2 The width of bodywork behind the rear wheel centre line and more than 200mm above the reference plane must not exceed 750mm.

Cost?, speed?, more control to the driver? I don't recall the reason(s) for this change but all the teams will have these narrow wings next year.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
arguapacha
Regular User

Made me remember that Chaparral at Can-Am... only that this one looks silly.

By the way... wouldn't that punish the grip at the back of the car? seems to me like we will have some lack of downforce and a lot of spins at the corners

Another question... Does FIA test this kind of ideas at the track too? simulating overtakings and all that?

Maybe they should take wings altogether from the cars... maybe that way they could look more like those beautiful machines of the 60's
arguapacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
gobs3z
Regular User

I'm pretty sure this was all done to get rid of dirty air, basically not having any downforce when drafting behind another car, and the pic of the car with a spoiler behind each wheel would have done the job, so I'm sure if this still somehow does the job. Maybe the outer portions of the front spoiler of the trailing car (still following?) will get the get more downforce now. Very interesting...i'll get used to it like i have everything else they've done to these cars.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
blue8
Regular User

During the Barcelona test:
BMW Sauber with full 2009-specification front and rear wing

Williams:

Ugly!
I heard these specifications are supposed to help overtaking so it might be good anyway.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
yellky
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
holy shit