Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
blinkmeat
Regular User

Default Mac DVD : Region Free firmware question

Shame on Apple for putting shitty DVD Roms in for honest DVD buyers ... Hopefully someone can help me solve this.

As you may or may not know DVD's have regional codes to negate piracy - Long story short ROM in the new Macbook won't read all of them

I've been reading this http://www.powerbook-fr.com/dossiers...article30.html

But I'm not sure if this is really worth doing -- I tried "Mac the Ripper" but it wont read the disc either so I'm screwed it seems.

Has anyone around here fixed this problem?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

I do not know much about macs, but in windows there are something like this

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

Maybe this will be better help

http://macnewbie.wordpress.com/2006/...ws-xp-machine/

http://creativebits.org/toolbox/how_...ds_on_your_mac

Last edited by 5vz-fe; 12-09-2007 at 09:20 PM.
5vz-fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Don't buy Mac?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
fabro_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Don't buy Mac?
LOL, I think the macbook its really cool, it has lots of functions that makes your life easier in a computer, but then again mac is expensive as hell, I hope microsoft makes Windows like that someday...

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fabro_s View Post
LOL, I think the macbook its really cool, it has lots of functions that makes your life easier in a computer, but then again mac is expensive as hell, I hope microsoft makes Windows like that someday...
I have yet to find 1 single function/feature making the Macbook a sensible purchase.

And before you think I just "hate Macs" (which I do) I also have not 1, but 2 iPhones. They had 2 features worth getting over other WIndows based phones - voicemail stored on the phone and visually playable, and a very good touch screen.

But the actual laptops and computers from Apple..?? Nah - not a single feature worth buyign them for.

Can you name one?

And we know it wouldn't be region free DVD hardware hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
fabro_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I have yet to find 1 single function/feature making the Macbook a sensible purchase.

And before you think I just "hate Macs" (which I do) I also have not 1, but 2 iPhones. They had 2 features worth getting over other WIndows based phones - voicemail stored on the phone and visually playable, and a very good touch screen.

But the actual laptops and computers from Apple..?? Nah - not a single feature worth buyign them for.

Can you name one?

And we know it wouldn't be region free DVD hardware hehe
Yeah well I have to agree with you on the iphone statement, is a masterpiece its great, but getting an iphone here in Mexico its almost 1000$ us dls. Its expensive as hell, or you can go and get it cheaper in the US, but with the costs of getting from for example where I live to lets say Mc Allen or San Antonio Tx you will be getting it almost at the same cost as you get it here in Mexico, so I have to say 1000$usd for a cell phone?, not worth it..... you can get a decent Laptop with that money...

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote