Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-25-2003, 10:14 AM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Ferrari is let down by bloody bridgstone. They still have the best chassis, and the best engine, but the tyres are bad. Bridgstone needs to get their act togheter because they are letting down the #1F1 team of the last 3years.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #17
draak666
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Ferrari ... still have the best chassis, and the best engine, but the tyres are bad.
Just the tires? Ask Barrichello how he liked his rear suspension yesterday.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #18
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by draak666
Ferrari ... still have the best chassis, and the best engine, but the tyres are bad.
Just the tires? Ask Barrichello how he liked his rear suspension yesterday.
THat was just weird, never happend before. Its the tyres fault lol.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:38 PM   #19
fedezyl
Regular User

I meant as far as Renault coming back as a whole team, it's their first win since they came back isn't it?

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:46 AM   #20
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

I reckon Webber is getting better,Consider the jagaur isn't up their with BMW,Mercedes and ferrari,To qualify 3rd then get beaten by Renault,BMW,Merc came 6th and didn't get lap is pretty good effort.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:25 AM   #21
tekwar
Regular User

Ferrari is let down by bloody bridgstone. They still have the best chassis, and the best engine, but the tyres are bad. Bridgstone needs to get their act togheter because they are letting down the #1F1 team of the last 3years.
i serious doubt that the new rules are the main reason why this season is more exciting. The other teams have just caught up to ferrari and michelin have a much better tire this year. Just look at the race pace of the ferrari and you can tell they have no where near the advantage they had last year. I credit that mostly to the tires.

Also you can argue about ferrari having the best chassis. Alot of people think renault have the best chassis which is let down by the lack of engine power. Also the best engine is still the BMW, they have the most power, good reliability this year. Ferraris main advantage was the tires last year like i said, and when they lost that, they are back down to normal again. All the top michelin runners, Mclaren, BMW, and Renault have all been fighting for wins now, which has made life difficult for ferrari.

Its been a great season so far, definitely the closest season i have ever seen. top 3 separated by just 2 points, you cant ask for a much better turnaround from last years "parade" season. Lets hope the top guys keep it going till suzuka for a grand finale.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #22
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by tekwar
i serious doubt that the new rules are the main reason why this season is more exciting. The other teams have just caught up to ferrari and michelin have a much better tire this year. Just look at the race pace of the ferrari and you can tell they have no where near the advantage they had last year. I credit that mostly to the tires.

Also you can argue about ferrari having the best chassis. Alot of people think renault have the best chassis which is let down by the lack of engine power. Also the best engine is still the BMW, they have the most power, good reliability this year. Ferraris main advantage was the tires last year like i said, and when they lost that, they are back down to normal again. All the top michelin runners, Mclaren, BMW, and Renault have all been fighting for wins now, which has made life difficult for ferrari.

Its been a great season so far, definitely the closest season i have ever seen. top 3 separated by just 2 points, you cant ask for a much better turnaround from last years "parade" season. Lets hope the top guys keep it going till suzuka for a grand finale.

I agree that renault has awesome chassis. Probably second best on the grid, but even all the other teams agree that ferrari has the best chassis, and it's let down by the tires. Other drivers are even saying it in interviews.

Bridgstone is even saying that they are going to change their tire shape similar to michelin. They just fucked up. And its a good lesson for them, next time they will think twice.

I agree the season is exciting, I hope that they fight to the end(suzuka), but I dont think that its a fair fight because bridgstone fucked up bigtime, look at all the bridgstone runners, all of them are in the back of the grid.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:49 PM   #23
tekwar
Regular User

well you cant forget that bridgestones biggest flaw is that they only have 1 major team doing testing for them. The rest of the teams running bridgestone would still be at the back of the grid regardless of the tires. While Michelin has 3 top teams (renault, bmw, and mclaren) all putting in major testing times for the tires. The combined effort of those 3 teams really helps to speed up development. Bridgestone concentrating on just one top team is their biggest mistake in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:57 PM   #24
initiala4
Regular User

this is going to be an interesting next race with 3 ppl within points of each other...i wonder who would be crown as world champion
?
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:09 AM   #25
draak666
Regular User

Originally Posted by tekwar
well you cant forget that bridgestones biggest flaw is that they only have 1 major team doing testing for them. The rest of the teams running bridgestone would still be at the back of the grid regardless of the tires. While Michelin has 3 top teams (renault, bmw, and mclaren) all putting in major testing times for the tires. The combined effort of those 3 teams really helps to speed up development. Bridgestone concentrating on just one top team is their biggest mistake in my opinion.
Yet, Ferrari and Bridgestone claim quite the contrary, i.e. that their close cooperation is their strongest asset.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:51 AM   #26
tekwar
Regular User

nothing can beat testing millage which is what bridgestone doesnt have much of compared to its competitor.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:09 AM   #27
draak666
Regular User

On the other hand, Bridgestone can focus on one car, while the results of Michelin's test milages are somewhat biassed by the different cars' characteristics.

Also, it was only two seasons ago when Bridgestone provided the whole starting grid of tyres. And now they have already lost all of their advantage??? I don't think so. Face it, since last season the other teams simply have made greater progress than Ferrari.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:13 AM   #28
Jabba
Regular User

I would also suggest changing the qualifying rules may have had something to do with it...after Ferrari walked it last season...and all the other teams started crying....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #29
draak666
Regular User

I don't believe that has changed a lot, Jabba. Perhaps it has on tracks where it's difficult to overtake. But then again, the rules are the same for everyone and every team has to choose the best racing tactics for their cars. Mind you, I hate the way they changed the qualifying rules. Last year it were the races that weren't exciting, now it's the qualifying sessions, since you can't judge the drivers' times because you don't know what their pitstop streategy is. Today, even the slowest driver can grab pole position on a nearly empty tank of fuel. Should be a good idea for Minardi, it's a great and easy way to get publicity...
Old 08-27-2003, 08:46 AM   #30
Jabba
Regular User

are you saying that they would have changed the rules even if Ferrari had not won so easily then ???? I remember everyone saying they were not going to watch F1 anymore last season as Ferrari always won.....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote