Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Ricky & Ronnie's! I <3 their chili fries!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Wow, just wow.

Where did all this hate on Carol Shelby come from in this topic? Seems you were just looking for an outlet to offset your frustration.

Why did I pick 15 years? It's an arbitrary number by all accounts.
1 Million. Adding in inflation, I believe it will be there within our lifetimes. There are sticklers out there who want the rare "only" car OEM of some paint code, and they live for that. There are usually enough of those people to bid up, and out-bid the other guy in Prime Time.

Jay mays wasn't directly involved on this one. Chip Foose was more involved than Mays.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
philip
Regular User

Cant have this post with out a photo of Ole Shel. He's getting really old. I took this a couple of years ago at Barrett-Jackson. He was auctioning a Mustang off for "Charity".
I joined his "club" last year, cause the girl was cute behind the table. I don't think they have sent me a single thing since.

Shel doesnt have a good reputation for being a by the book kind of guy, but thats part of his charm. If you play with cobras, whose fault is it if you get bit.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #19
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
One more time. These are collectibles:

This is a used car:

Give me 30 years, then we'll talk.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #20
F250
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Wow, just wow.

Where did all this hate on Carol Shelby come from in this topic? Seems you were just looking for an outlet to offset your frustration.
Hate? I posted Shelby charges for autographs. You posted the money goes to charity. I posted his charity is suspect enough to have lost B-J and Ford as backers. I hate people with questionable charities.

Kinda makes you wanna buy the next genuwine owned and driven by ShelHisOwnSelf Mustang or Cobra at Barrett-Jackson, don't it?

F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #21
sameerrao
Regular User

I don't see Ferrari 430s or Ford GTs or Lambo Gallardos appreciating so much. To me they are mass produced supercars. No rarity value or USP either. The race cars have pedigree and would always be above $1 MM.

I think their values will be in the (2008 Dollar value) $100,000 range in future max.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao View Post
I don't see Ferrari 430s or Ford GTs or Lambo Gallardos appreciating so much. To me they are mass produced supercars. No rarity value or USP either. The race cars have pedigree and would always be above $1 MM.

I think their values will be in the (2008 Dollar value) $100,000 range in future max.
The Ford GT is no F430; or Gallardo

What do you base this assumption on? 2005 GT's are still pulling 180+

Meanwhile, 2004/5 Gallardo's aren't selling for 120 now
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
The Ford GT is no F430; or Gallardo

What do you base this assumption on? 2005 GT's are still pulling 180+

Meanwhile, 2004/5 Gallardo's aren't selling for 120 now
I think it takes a very special car and lots of time for it to go up 8 times in value ($150k to $1MM).

The Ford GT is a great car but it isn't that rare or unique. It doesn't have race cred - Speed World Challenge is a new occurrence. Also you can manufacture a GT40 replica with A/c for $80-150K. So the GT is kind of attacked on the upper and lower price end.

Also while its performance is fantastic now, it may be ordinary 15 years from now.

Look at the cars made in the 80s - they would be ~ 20 years now. How many of the 80s cars are in the million dollar price bracket today? Hardly any. Even Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos made in the 80s do not make the cut - the F40 retails for $500K and lesser now. Give me an example of a car that grew from ~$150k to $1 MM in price.

15 years is too short a time frame for a limited production production car to jump this much in value.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao View Post
I think it takes a very special car and lots of time for it to go up 8 times in value ($150k to $1MM).

The Ford GT is a great car but it isn't that rare or unique. It doesn't have race cred - Speed World Challenge is a new occurrence. Also you can manufacture a GT40 replica with A/c for $80-150K. So the GT is kind of attacked on the upper and lower price end.

Also while its performance is fantastic now, it may be ordinary 15 years from now.

Look at the cars made in the 80s - they would be ~ 20 years now. How many of the 80s cars are in the million dollar price bracket today? Hardly any. Even Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos made in the 80s do not make the cut - the F40 retails for $500K and lesser now. Give me an example of a car that grew from ~$150k to $1 MM in price.

15 years is too short a time frame for a limited production production car to jump this much in value.
FIA GT, the Ford GT3 is one of the winning cars all over Europe.
ALMS GT2 is not a winner, but it isn't the slowest on the grid of GT2 cars... unless one of the Robertson's are driving.

Again
The car in question is the only one painted in Sonic Blue (which I don't think looks particularly awesome) started life as a $300,000 car. In 15-25 years time, this will be one of the saught after Ford GT's even within the Ford GT community.

Current owners are quickly becoming a vast array of multi GT owners, hording all the best cars with low miles, no stories, and rare options. Yet, there aren't any other cars for sale that are "one of a kind" factory options. All you have to do is look at the history of Domestic sportscar auction to see the wild array of prices in the astronomical zones to see that the asking price on this one isn't far fetched, if not very timely.

Ferrari 360's, come go, and replaced by F430's, F480? etc.

The Ford GT while not "extremely" rare, is not a beast that has been, or will be replaced. Nor will it ever be turned into a Kit Car. The Kit's are so expensive that they aren't very diminishing against either the Modern GT, nor the original small production run that exists.

Note, there are very clever clone/ kit 288 GTO's, 250 GTO's, 250 Cali Spiders, P4's, 917's, etc. etc. What have those done to the market of the real deal?

Your arguements just don't fit the mold you are attempting to paint, Sameer.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
1. Please take a look at the financials for Shelby's "charity". Lessthan 5% has been given to children. Haven't you noticed that even Barrett-Jackson and Ford Motor Company have stopped donations to his charity at the B-J auctions?

Barret just sold another car to Carol's Children's charity today.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
gobs3z
Regular User

The only reason the Ford GT would appreciate (which i think all will), is if Ford does not do another iteration of it. Ford does not make supercars, and it's been 50ish years since the GT40 and the Ford GT turned out to be a great car (at least from everything i've read). The value of the car comes from Ford showing they can compete if they want to, it's a very symbolic car like the GT40; not nearly as symbolic as the GT40, but important for the company nonetheless.

Now to the Sonic Blue one....I think it will appreciate greatly because the Ford GT will probably be the last gas powered non-hybrid supercar Ford will ever make, IMO that makes it a rare car in the timeline of Ford cars, and having a facory color that no one else has will get it big money it's just how it works. And $1 million cannot be far off if Ford doesn't make any other type of supercar for the next 15-20 years.

P.S. I think the Ford GT that'll make more than any other is the GTX1 prototype, I feel that'll be the most wanted out of any other...

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow

Last edited by gobs3z; 01-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z View Post

P.S. I think the Ford GT that'll make more than any other is the GTX1 prototype, I feel that'll be the most wanted out of any other...
There are 28 GTX-1's out there, I believe not including the orange prototype. That was held by Kip Ewing for a while, but it has since sold as a non-legal road car (without a valid M plate).

Additionally, the Nardo car sold at auction in Sept. this year, and sold for nearly $300k. The "First" Ford GT (first engineering prototype for use with testing and validating EPA and SMOG) was also sold at the same auction; pulling in slightly less. That car is beat up, and would at the very least need a respray.

Finally, there are three or four other highly collectible GT's out there. The 1st customer car; which I believe is owned by Leno. The Last production GT, and the Camilo Pardo edition car(s)... and another "one of one" factory optioned colors by Ford Exec's.