Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #16
Kissyface
Regular User

Default more 4 paddle talk

It is believed that Renault have a similar system but haven't refined the technology enough to exploit it or perhaps it isn't that advantageous to begin with.

From my understanding it works like this: engine mapping can increase or decrease torque and so by modifying the engine torque on certain parts of a circuit wheelspin is reduced to increase grip on corner exit. For example, you could exit one corner in 3rd gear at 120 mph and 9500 rpm and exit a different corner in the same gear at the same speed at 8500 rpm. It's possible that these settings could be modified during the race to compensate for the changing handling characteristics based on factors such as fuel load and tire wear so the driver can achieve a more balanced performance by offsetting these changes with different engine torque settings. Setup then becomes key on the days leading up to a race where the driver has to run the car at different fuel loads so as to build a database of engine output on that particular circuit then the engineers can determine where the most advantage can be gained.
I will continue to research this and update my findings so at obtain the most accurate information.
Shnitzel

Last edited by Kissyface; 07-24-2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: modified to effect speculative tone
Kissyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #17
waggles
Regular User

I believe that F1 cars do have a clutch, activated by a paddle.
waggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #18
CarlZ
Regular User

^it's automatic
Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #19
turpija
Regular User

seems like they had this system a long time ago but maybe they just now got it sorted out
http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/9536/900/
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #20
Kissyface
Regular User

seems like they had this system a long time ago but maybe they just now got it sorted out
Yes I think that is the case.
Shnitzel
Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #21
Sapetoku
Regular User

Originally Posted by waggles View Post
I believe that F1 cars do have a clutch, activated by a paddle.
That's what I thought too. Think I've seen it on that autocar.com video when they tested a F1 car on Silverstone, don't remember the name of the journalist. Or maybe when Tiff Needell drove the BMW Sauber F1... Pretty sure one of those paddles is the clutch.
Sapetoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #22
Kissyface
Regular User

Yes they do and instead of the steering wheel release as my diagram shows I think that is the clutch. Not for shifting gears but to keep the car running in case of an off-track departure.
I'll update my diagram to reflect this. I still think the upper four paddles operate the gears and torque settings though.

Shnitzel

Last edited by Kissyface; 07-24-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: posted corrected updated picture
Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 AM   #23
waggles
Regular User

By the way, it was Chris Harris who tested the F1 car at Silverstone.
waggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #24
mackid343
Regular User

Originally Posted by Kissyface View Post
Yes they do and instead of the steering wheel release as my diagram shows I think that is the clutch. Not for shifting gears but to keep the car running in case of an off-track departure.
I'll update my diagram to reflect this. I still think the upper four paddles operate the gears and torque settings though.

i believe they have an anti-stall system that kicks in if they spin or lock the rear wheels in order to keep the engine running while they are on track. the clutch is just for getting the car moving from a standstill as its a sequential seamless shift gearbox. both bottom paddles i believe are clutch and the driver can use either one as far as i know
mackid343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #25
pitfield
Regular User

there are apparently 2 hand clutches, one on each side, on is to completely disengage, once the first is off the car holds against the brakes. The second graduates wheel spin when leaving the start grid.. This is according to this month's EVO mag.