Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 11-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Anyone in the US subcribe to UK magazines?

Well, I don't. I figured that it costs too much for me to do so.
It's not like I don't read those magazines, it's just that subcribing to them, instead of picking them up at your local store each month costs a lot, in my opinion. Observe

In a year, 12 issues of Top Gears will cost me around $103.
If I had subscribed to it, it would cost me $138! It actuall costs more to subscribe to it! How can it be? I don't know. But it's same for other magazines.

CAR
$120 to buy individual copies, $135 (well, $102 with the discount they have now) to subscribe

Evo
$129 vs. $135 to subscribe

I suppose the difference is very small, but for a poor college student without a job, it's big enough to be noticed.

I suppose all the delivery fees and other junk is going to add to the price, but still too weird for me. I'm actually used to saving money on magazine subcriptions...$10 for a year's worth of Motor Trend etc...Then again, Top Gear is ten times better than Motor Trend.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Vansquish
Regular User

I've got a subscription to Autocar, I know it's sort of the ugly duckling around here, but in my experience, I've been quite happy with most of their reporting despite the fact that their reviews are occasionally a bit biased.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

I started subscribing to F1 racing this year.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

F1 Racing, I found, was actually cheaper to subscribe. But I'm not going to do that.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
callen
Regular User

id like to subscribe to EVO, but again its too much money, plus being a student and having a few addresses, i figure its too much hassle to give em the notice to change the address all the time.... when i am finished school, i will definitely subscribe to some of the european mags, they are much much better
Old 11-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
jon_s
Regular User

I wounder how much it would be for me to subcribe and then send on the Mag

Well, just to annoy you all, I subscribve to EVO. Something silly like £16 every 6 months. 8)
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

I had a subscription for EVO up until last April and I cancelled it because of the price....I regret it now obviously. I love that magazine...I managed to get a hold of al of the issues EVO published leading up to last April..its nice to be able to go back and read old articles in the earlier issues
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote