Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-18-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Boston is congested and over-crowded.. ;)

Got into Boston this evening... Apart from a half-dozen shiny new sky scrapers - what a confined, congested, decrepid city..

I was sposed to head south to I95, and accidentally found myself driving up 1A into Salem and some other small olde townes.

I forgot how cramped and convoluted small European style villages can be.

I can see why y'all don't like big crew-cab duallies and fast high-hp sports cars.

Cops everywhere - and roads that are either to narrow to fit a pickup truck and two rows of parked cars - or the roads are to bumpy and in disrepair for sports cars.

I could not live up here this north east area - besides the fact that I boarded the plane in 85 degree heat in Houston and stepped out into 55 degree cold in Boston - it's just far too crowded - and the locals are grumpy sullen mother fuckers...

I would like to run my obnoxiously loud car through the mile odd long Sumner Tunnel -
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

northern mid-west is quite cold as well... but not so overly crowded i cant say ve been to boston yet.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
Toronto
Regular User

i heard they want to build all the main roads in downtown underground? I think they already started but I might be wrong.

anyways RC, you going to game 5?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Boston at this time of year is always crowded because of the many colleges in the area.. about half a million kids flood the city each school year... I myself is one of those kids. You start to realize how ridiculous it is when every party you go to is so packed you can barely move let alone fill your keg cup more than once!

Originally Posted by Toronto
i heard they want to build all the main roads in downtown underground? I think they already started but I might be wrong.
you're thinking of the "Big Dig" which is a 15+year plan to construct an underground highway i95 and 90 i think... They started bout a year or two ago.. i wouldnt be suprised if the mafia was behind it
dutchmasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Boston at this time of year is always crowded because of the many colleges in the area.. about half a million kids flood the city each school year...
I wondered why there ere so many - uhm, how should one say - nubile girls at every turn..

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Originally Posted by Toronto
you're thinking of the "Big Dig" which is a 15+year plan to construct an underground highway i95 and 90 i think... They started bout a year or two ago.. i wouldnt be suprised if the mafia was behind it
Ahhh - another long distance tunnel to assualt peoples hearing with an obnoxiously loud exhaust...
Old 10-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Oh - and where the hell do you north-easterners hide your freeking gas stations?

No wonder gasoline costs so much up here - it is simple economics.. supply and demand.. No supply and a frustrating demand - I had to drive 3 miles to find a gas station - and then when I got there, I had no choice.

Instead of 4 gas stations at the intersection, with a different brand at each corner offering competively priced fuel, there was just a single robber-baron gouging $2.27 a gallon.

In Texas thankfully, you will find about 15 in a 3 mile radius of my house. I say this whole "gas crunch' is all fabricated by the liberal tree-huggers... they should step aside and let us have our cheap gasoline on every street corner..
Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

the last few times i went to boston it was just a giant building site
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
CMonakar
Regular User

I remember reading an article that stated 1 out of every 4.25 people in Boston is a college student. Having done both my undergrad and law school in Boston I have to say it's great when you are one of those college students, but after that you start to feel a bit old.

A lot of the roads are in bad shape, but a positive thing is the city isn't laid out as a grid like NYC so there are a bunch of interesting curves if you know where to look. There are a lot of police officers here, but I have found them to be much more forgiving than NY, NH and CT police with regard to speeding.

My biggest gripe about Boston is that there is NOTHING outside of it worth visiting. In sum, I think it's a great place to go to school, but not a great place to settle down.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
FerrariKiller
Regular User

Greetings from another college student in Boston. Your best bet, park your car for the duration of your stay because you can walk, take the T, or the commuter rail most everywhere you need to go. And yeah the people here are grumpy... they're red sox fans.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by FerrariKiller
Greetings from another college student in Boston.
Hola...

Your best bet, park your car for the duration of your stay because you can walk, take the T, or the commuter rail most everywhere you need to go.
I am guessing downtown - but drive 10 miles out on the Interstate and it is the boondocks..

I am guessing around these here parts "10 miles out" is a day or two trip requiring planning and arranging for the neghbours to collect your mail and water your plants and the police to keep an eye on your house..

And yeah the people here are grumpy... they're red sox fans.
Grunpy is one thing - but where the fuck do y'all hide the damn restaurants... A couple hole in the wall eateries and the a few franchise Chili's and Bugaboo's and that's about it.

So everything worthwhile is within a 1 mile radius of dowtown? ??
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

So everything worthwhile is within a 1 mile radius of dowtown? ??
... mabey if its detroit hahaha
Old 10-19-2004, 12:08 AM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i wouldn't mind visiting Boston. Old historic cities like that intrigue me. not to mention the scenery out in the country must be breathtaking.

Before you retort RC, no i don't know what New England is like since i've never been there, but i see that as one of the best reasons to visit.

i was going to move to PA but it was like late March/early April and still snowing so i figured screw that

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #13
noliebro
Regular User

AHHH, I love LA, a little crowded, but not that bad, and you always will at least see a Rolls Phantom or Lotus Elise on a casual drive, Oh and did I mention that I went to the beach in Setember. Sorry just had to rub it in your guy's face.

In a Porsche 911, you're going to have a very good time actually driving the thing, but everyone is going to hate you. They're going to give you dirty looks as you drive by, call you names at the lights, vandalise your paintwork in the night and never, ever let you out of a side turning. That's a given.

In the Vantage, everyone's going to want your babies.
-J.C.
noliebro is offline   Reply With Quote