Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 01-27-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
he7lius
Regular User

Default Are rotary engines alowed in F1??

The same way Mazda won Le Mans with the rotary engine could a F1 team use it as well??
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
nchs09

i dont know.... i dubt it, they probably dont, since you dont see them, or mazda cant make the performe better than normal engines
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
FerrariKiller
Regular User

I'm sure if Mazda created a competitive package that didn't have an unfair advantage it would be allowed. There's no rule against it so they have no reason to ban it outright. Of course I doubt the issue will ever come up.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Toronto
Regular User

no F1 will not allow a rotary engine, it is not in the formula, check out FIA site if you want to know more,
the reason mazda was allowed to in lemans was it was in the unrestricted class, f1 cars must have engine blocks and so one, and so many valves per cyl. in lemans it is engine displacement
Old 01-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
AlienDB7
Regular User

Interesting, I just saw a mazda commercial tonight claiming they have "the same" engine in a F1 car as in RX-8. Maybe it wasn't a F1 car or it's simply marketing trick.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:35 AM   #6
MontoyaWannaBe
Regular User

Interesting, I just saw a mazda commercial tonight claiming they have "the same" engine in a F1 car as in RX-8. Maybe it wasn't a F1 car or it's simply marketing trick.
that wasn't an F1 car... and fince the FIA rules call for a certain number of cylinders, valves, etc, and a rotary engine was no cylinders, and lacks a lot of the things that a traditional internal combustion engine has, it technically could never meet the rules...
MontoyaWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #7
yg60m
Regular User

The rules are very stricts in F1 : 10 cylinders , before the number was free, Toyota prepared a v12 for its arrival in f1 but the rumour says that Ferrari intervened to make prohibit an architecture which was representative of him and they did not want to remake a v12 whereas they had invested so much on the v10.
It is said too that Renault wanted to make a v8 but now it's prohibited.
No ovals pistons too (like in the Honda NSR 750, who remember it ?). 4 valves per cylinder ... not really place to innovations, at least for the architecture.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:48 AM   #8
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by AlienDB7
i think i know what ad spot you are talking about, it goes "non of these cars have ever, cracked a valve......" and the show pics of the Le Mans cars.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:48 AM   #9
deth
Regular User

that all sounds rather stupid...i thought F1 was a place where new tech and ideas could be implemented and tested
Old 01-28-2004, 03:04 AM   #10
yg60m
Regular User

that all sounds rather stupid...i thought F1 was a place where new tech and ideas could be implemented and tested
Yes, it's my opinion too but it's the herd instinct, when they see something works well they follow. But when someone comes with a new idea, he can't do it in F1.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:07 AM   #11
deth
Regular User

well i dont know about that...i think its teams have too much control, as you mentioned before ferrari strongarming teh FIA to implement certain rules. again money makes the world go round.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:26 AM   #12
AlienDB7
Regular User

This is the commercial I was talking about: http://users.pandora.be/draak666/RX8...Car_Engine.zip
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:59 AM   #13
levensnevel
Regular User

It's a "Pro formula Mazda" series single seater if I understand the voice over correctly..
Seems these cars will be equipped with the Renesis rotary engine this season
http://www.formularacer.com/smp.html

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
he7lius
Regular User

F1 is at the peak of motoracing, in almost every part of a car. If we take the ceramic brakes for example, before they appear on every supercar at the moment they were used in F1.

By imposing rules aren't FIA limiting the development of new technology??
Fossil fuel will finish, and should it be allowed a F1 team use for example a hidrogen engine if they think that would be competitive??

Should FIA impose some rules in terms of lets say weight of the engine, or can only consume a max of X amount of fuel???

What do you guys say??
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:28 AM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I highly doubt that a rotary would be succesful in F1.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote