Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default Martin Brundle's road test of the Super Aguri SA06

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?T...le&PO_ID=38599

ITV Sport was given the unique opportunity to test drive a Super Aguri back in January, and unsurprisingly, Martin Brundle jumped at the chance.

Not only did it give him an opportunity to recalibrate his sharp and incisive views ahead of the 2007 season, the car's sheer performance also blew him away!

Look out for a full feature on Martin's special test during coverage of the Australian Grand Prix on ITV1, but in the meantime, here's some of his thoughts on the day.

The opportunity to drive a state-of-the-art Formula 1 car doesn’t come along very often, even for retired grand prix drivers like me.

Being invited to take one around Silverstone’s full Grand Prix layout almost never happens.

So I jumped at the chance when I was offered a drive in a Super Aguri SA06 in January.

And while we are talking about a car that was one the slowest on the track for most of last year until its startling performance in the final Brazilian GP, this one was also equipped with the same engine and gearbox that Jenson Button and Anthony Davidson will be running in 2007, as well as the latest control Bridgestone tyres.

So this was a unique chance to bring myself as a commentator, and you the viewers, right up to speed with the latest kit the drivers are using.

First impressions

The first thing that struck me when I pulled out of the pits was just how intrinsically good the car was.

The engine and gearbox were the peachiest things I have ever driven.

I was expecting the engine to be really peaky – almost like a hyper sports motorbike.

But straight away the power delivery was linear and easy, especially with the traction control on.

When I drove the Red Bull for our technical pieces on the show last year, I used the “full-fat” 900bhp Cosworth V10 – not the restricted engine Toro Rosso had last year – and that really did have some top end kick in it.

Obviously the V8 was missing that punch.

But in its place was a much more manageable delivery of power. At no point did it kick me in the ribs.

What also impressed was how the power seemed proportional to the amount of throttle applied.

Now that might seem obvious but it’s difficult to achieve in a racing car, and is thanks to highly refined mapping of fuel, ignition, gear selection, and throttle angle.

I instantly felt comfortable knowing how much throttle to apply so as not to let the back step out or induce too much traction control which hinders acceleration.

My immediate impression was that if this was what Jenson and co have got to work with, then they’ve got a great power and transmission package.

Seamless shift

This was my first experience of a ‘seamless-shift’ gearbox, now de rigueur in modern F1, and it blew me away.

Seamless-shift is a misnomer of course because under the regulations there has to be a clear point where the gearshift takes place, otherwise it would be considered constantly variable – which is against the rules.

But Honda’s may as well be seamless because it is so fast you don’t notice it.

You basically don’t actually feel the gearshift, you just hear the revs drop.

Gripping ride

The car itself amazed me.

It was so forgiving. I clipped a kerb through Copse corner and another in the Becketts complex. I grimaced as I did so and got ready to sort out the ensuing mess but nothing happened.

Within four laps I was flat in sixth through Bridge corner. The thing just stuck.

The track was wet in places, particularly at Becketts, but the reassurance, the poise and the grip the car provided was just extraordinary.

I admit it took a while to find my confidence through Copse corner to start with.

I quickly got it up to flat in sixth, but I wasn’t flat in seventh like the F1 boys are, mainly because I couldn’t quite see the corner properly!

At 47 my eyes are not quite as good as they were and when you approach Copse at 190mph, it’s very difficult to pick out the exact line of the corner.

There is a barrier at the end of the pits that hides the turn in and apex. And with all the asphalt run-off on the outside you don’t really see the corner until you get there, and it all looks very grey.

Becketts was extraordinary.

McLaren test driver Gary Paffett told me that you’re supposed to go full throttle through the opening right-hander of the complex, and then just lift and down-shift, using that drag to slow you enough for the following left flick.

I thought he was showing off, but now I can well believe that that is possible.

A different world

Lots of drivers said they took a different approach to cornering in 2006, thanks to the onset of the torquey V8s. And driving the Aguri I could instantly see what they meant.

You arrive at the corners slightly slower, because of the power reduction from the V10 era, but you have got more driveability and grip so your minimum corner apex speed is definitely higher.

At Stowe you virtually pass the apex before you lift off and brake!

Needless to say after 20 laps of this I was struggling physically, because it just wrenches your neck and your shoulders.

It is a really pathetic feeling.

You charge into Bridge and everything is easy. You wouldn’t give lifting-off a second thought, but give the wheel just a little more lock to bring the car in line for Priory and all of a sudden your head just falls over and there is nothing you can do about it.

Stopping power

Unbelievable as it may seem, this was the first time I had ever left foot-braked on the limit.

Because there is only enough space for two pedals and not even a left foot rest, your feet just plug into the pedals as if there was suction on them. It’s instinctive.

The problem I have is that I knocked my left foot off my leg once [in a crash at Dallas in 1984], so it doesn’t always work so well. But the brakes were supremely powerful yet progressive, so I got away with it.

What I do know is that if I could right-foot brake, and I was given a couple of days to get my neck up to speed, I would be reasonably close to the pace, mainly because these cars are so driver friendly.

Black magic

I was one of the first people to try out Bridgestone’s 2007-spec tyres.

I have to say they were better than I expected.

You get into a mindset that control tyre equals hard tyre with no grip, but of course they weren’t like that at all.

The rear tyres grained because it was a bit cold, and I was coming in with colder tyres than I left the pits with, which is actually quite normal for winter testing at Silverstone.

In fact David Coulthard gave me a good tip to try and keep the tyre temperatures up.

He said: “You’ve got to keep your left foot on the brake down the Hangar Straight on your out-lap to keep some kind of brake and tyre temperatures up, then nail it big time through Stowe and thereafter. If you don’t, by the time you get to the start/finish line the car will be undriveable with low tyres temperatures and therefore pressures too.”

He was absolutely right!

Super team

I’ve gone on record as saying what a great job I thought Super Aguri did in 2006, and this test only served to reinforce my opinion of them.

It’s not McLaren, but then they simply don’t have the resources of a big team as a start-up operation.

But there is a lot of enthusiasm and knowledge there.

My contact with the team was that we had a seat fitting then a day in the car filming and it all ran faultlessly, which is quite unusual actually.

That in itself says a lot about them as a team.

I will be amazed if they don’t score points this year.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

Wow, very insightful. Great Read. What a nice way to wet my appetite for this weekend's race.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Max Power

its too bad u (the fans) can't this kind of insight from the actual drivers
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
gangajas
Regular User

Great read, F1 cars are at the pinnacle of technology
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ Yep!

Nice read indeed, very interesting to hear it from somebody who is closer to the fans..!