Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-20-2004, 05:22 AM   #1
SDK2003
Regular User

Default Ultima GTR World Record

640bhp GTR smashes 0-100mph-0 time by half a second.

The Ultima Factory yesterday smashed the production car world record in an Ultima GTR for sprinting to 100mph and back to zero again beating times set by all manner of supercars.

Driven by Ultima Director, Richard Marlow, the factory built Ultima GTR set a new world record time of 10.3 seconds to achieve 0-100mph-0 smashing the previous record by half a second. The British built super car stormed from 0-60mph in 2.8 secs and reached 100mph from standstill in an incredible 5.9 secs before coming back to rest a mere 4.4 secs later.

All of the times were set by a standard, factory built, fully road legal, road tyred Ultima GTR built using all of the high spec factory specified and proven parts. The car was even equipped with a few luxuries such as air conditioning but no traction control devices; launch control systems or ABS braking aids were used.

The car was fitted with its recommended Porsche G50 5 speed transaxle and normally aspirated 640BHP 377ci Chevrolet V8 engine which is a standard offering by the factory from its official engine suppliers American Speed.

Ultima are particularly proud that their record time beat the legendary £630,000 McLaren F1 road car by well over a full second at less than one tenth of the cost!

Richard Marlow, Director of Ultima Sports Ltd said “The 0-100mph-0 test is believed by many to be the ultimate test for any car and is a true indicator of a cars all round performance ability. We haven’t strapped any timing gear onto one of our cars for a few years now and decided that the time was right to demonstrate to everybody how we have been successfully developing our product over the years and gained a world record in the process."

Bouyed by his success, Richard continued, "We also wanted to go on to measure the 0-200mph-0 time at the relatively short Bruntingthorpe runway on the same day however severe rain and thunderstorms curtailed this for now but it didn’t stop Ted from achieving a rather interesting 192mph pass in the wet on standing water with over 1500rpm still available!”

The test was conducted, overseen and verified by an official from Datron Technology and the latest state of the art GPS timing gear was utilised to achieve and ensure maximum accuracy.
A submission has been made to Guinness Book of Records.
Not bad hey

Videos here

|| Canon 20D x2 | 17-40L | 24-70L | 100 USM Macro | 100-400L IS | 580EX ||
SDK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:29 AM   #2
davide
Regular User

That's just sick!

In a recent car mag, the Enzo managed to top the speed to 355km/h and came up to 200km/h on a mere 10.3 seconds.

I thought that was fast
Old 08-20-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
Ian_yamaue
Regular User

Originally Posted by davide
That's just sick!

In a recent car mag, the Enzo managed to top the speed to 355km/h and came up to 200km/h on a mere 10.3 seconds.

I thought that was fast
Damn it was, tell me please, in what mag did you read this?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Nik^XeN
Regular User

omFg, than its a really good car IMO, even if I dont like it... and I don't like it!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Regular User

I admit its fast........but would you live with one?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Achievements like this, and even the continuation of producing cars is a great job for these such small or handmade companies such as Ultima, Noble, TVR, Pagani, Koenisegg....once as in the life in general, a small company has got less resources in every sense than any known and big companies such as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini........
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:23 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Hhhmmm....

I wonder what the HP/l numbers are for that engine?

After all - GM small blocks are the worst choice of motive power...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Amazing work and amazing car. Too lazy to dig history, but how long have they tested this 0-100-0 test? It is a good show case for a car, but I don't remember it having so much value earlier? It used to be just 0-100km/h or am I totally wrong?
This test has been there at least for 40 years if not more ... One of the famous 0-100-0 was the Cobra 427 with Ken Miles at the wheel - it did it in 13.x secs then

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Amazing work and amazing car. Too lazy to dig history, but how long have they tested this 0-100-0 test? It is a good show case for a car, but I don't remember it having so much value earlier? It used to be just 0-100km/h or am I totally wrong?
I believe since the 1960s...the boys at Aston Martin came up with the idea to show how powerful and fast their cars were. It's been a pretty important performance number for a while (well in terms of magazine racing numbers ), you just don't hear about it as much because its a bit of a production to do.

Unlike 0-60mph where you can just go to any deserted stretch of highway or drag-racing strip, make sure you get your launch down...and 5-10 seconds later its finished...0-100-0mph takes more skill, time, space and courage. So while nearly every test someone does of a car includes a 0-60mph run...not everyone has the time or inclination to do a 0-100-0 run, hence why its not quoted as much.

Also, until recently (last 10 years) when cars started getting real brakes and real power it used to take 25-30+seconds and over a mile of straight road...not exactly the most common road condition.

I think its a good test (especially in brakes area), but it shouldn't be over-emphasized. I do think it means a lot more than 0-60mph...which is kind of a moot point among current super cars, 0-100mph is a much better representation of acceleration...because up to 60mph its all about traction and if you have to shift or not...but wind resistance builds up nicely at 80-90mph, so if a car is quick to 100mph its a better indication of whether its 'fast' or not...and stopping from 100mph puts some real stress on the brakes and they show their true colors a bit more.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
BADMIHAI
Regular User

How the fuck can this be a test of all-round performance when it only tests accelleration and braking? I betcha the Ultima is a pig in the twisties.

Links to vids:

edit by TT. no need to leech them with direct links the link to the video page in the first post is fine enough
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
How the fuck can this be a test of all-round performance when it only tests accelleration and braking? I betcha the Ultima is a pig in the twisties.

Links to vids:

edit by TT. no need to leech them with direct links the link to the video page in the first post is fine enough
You are just pissed because it has a push rod Chevy small block providing the power..

I guess because it has an American push rod engine, it can't handle now..

Face it... a Chevy powered kit car destroys the Enzo...

I would say that qualifies as PWNED!!!
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
BADMIHAI
Regular User

You are just pissed because it has a push rod Chevy small block providing the power..

Yes! DAMN IT! I admit it! I've always hated Chevy small blocks. :roll:
Old 08-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
BADMIHAI
Regular User

In among normal cars the turbo diesel cars are champions in overtaking.

What the fuck? NO NO NO! Petrol cars still own Diesels.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #14
Vansquish
Regular User

I think the first car to record a 0-100-0 officially was an Aston Martin DB4 and it did the job in about 24 seconds...the same sort of time it takes a Ford Mondeo to do the same these days.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #15
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Hhhmmm....

I wonder what the HP/l numbers are for that engine?

After all - GM small blocks are the worst choice of motive power...
I knew that was coming as soon as I read it was powered by the small block!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote