Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 08-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default New show from the people behind Top Gear

Originally Posted by DigitalSpy.co.uk
Neil Morrissey has landed a presenting deal for a new BBC Two series.

The former Men Behaving Badly actor will host Petrolheads, an entertainment show which is being described as a cross between Have I Got News For You and Top Gear.

"I wouldn't describe myself as a petrolhead because I'm not geeky about cars," Morrissey told The Mirror. "But I enjoy driving and am definitely interested in the subject. I got a real kick out of racing the reasonably priced car round the Top Gear circuit."

The show will be given a Friday night slot and is expected to begin airing in February next year.

One source added, "It's basically a comedy/entertainment show about cars. It's being made by the people behind Top Gear and it's likely to include some of their line-up."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23448.html

Hmmmm i don't know what to make of this, it could be good, but i don't think morrisey is the right person to do it Clarkson or somebody presenting it on the other hand and it could be a laugh. Have to wait and see
Old 08-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Toronto
Regular User

sounds good. but without JC I don't know how gppd it could be?
maybe if it was james may, or mr. bean 8)
Old 08-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

It's their attempt to "make the show more responsible".

A clever way to cancel Top Gear without anyone noticing...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
Anonymous

Originally Posted by RC45
It's their attempt to "make the show more responsible".

A clever way to cancel Top Gear without anyone noticing...
cynic nahhh i just think its a way to reuse top gear footage Maybe they will sack morrisey and use it as a vehicle for the semi crippled clarkson remember the BBC doesn't generally cancel good rating shows even if they are a bit controversial (with a few green losers in this case ) If its the highest rating show on the channel its considered in the public interest i guess
Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
xxe36m3xx

Originally Posted by Toronto
sounds good. but without JC I don't know how gppd it could be?
maybe if it was james may, or mr. bean 8)
if you'd ever seen 'men behaving badly' you'd know Neil Morrissey can be pretty damn 'mr bean' ish
Old 08-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
AlienDB7
Regular User

Interesting, not sure how the show will turn out. 5th Gear is produced by people behind (old) Top Gear and it's no where as good as Top Gear under mr. Clarkson.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
HeilSvenska
Regular User

or mr. bean
Rowan Atkinson would be fantastic. But instead of having this, why not make Top Gear 2 hours long? I thiink it'd be better.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Probably it'll be more about "normal" cars, while topgear will remain performance cars...
That's what I'm thinking. It may be geared more to more 'responsible enthusiasts'. But it's good in a way. That time slot could have been filled with yet another reality TV show. As far as 'Top Gear' being shelved, I think the show would have to be in serious jeopardy before that happens. That show has been around far too long, it's a TV icon. Look how well this season was? The most entertaining car show-period.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #9
Anonymous

Originally Posted by FoxFour
Originally Posted by thamar
Probably it'll be more about "normal" cars, while topgear will remain performance cars...
That's what I'm thinking. It may be geared more to more 'responsible enthusiasts'. But it's good in a way. That time slot could have been filled with yet another reality TV show. As far as 'Top Gear' being shelved, I think the show would have to be in serious jeopardy before that happens. That show has been around far too long, it's a TV icon. Look how well this season was? The most entertaining car show-period.
well it happened before so lets not be too quick to write the chances of it being cancelled off. It was far from certain it would return as top gear or with the empthasis on performance cars as it is now However its been doing so well in the ratings i think its unlikely the greens will win I'm pretty sure ratings were slipping after jeremy left hence it was taken off the air for a rebrand as it turned out

Also as its neil morrisey presenting i doubt it will be to serious or grown up
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
FoxFour
Regular User

Top Gear was cancelled before? Wow. These enviro wackos have nothing else better to do. Heard about what they are trying to do in your homeland? They want to ban cars that are idling because that represents an environmental hazard 0X
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...732598,00.html
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
Anonymous

Originally Posted by FoxFour
Top Gear was cancelled before? Wow. These enviro wackos have nothing else better to do. Heard about what they are trying to do in your homeland? They want to ban cars that are idling because that represents an environmental hazard 0X
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...732598,00.html
yeh it went a bit shit when Jeremy left IMO still better than 90% of car shows tho, hence the sacked team were snapped up for 5th gear by channel 5

And no i hadn't seen that article, if its just for waiting long periods then thats maybe it can be justified if there is some flexibility I mean if your cars playing up sometimes its best not to in my experience but well if its freezing i'm not switching the engine off for anyone

Anyway I'm far more worried about some of the other crap they want to introduce, pay per mile etc, especially as its a short step to instant speeding tickets. I doubt any government would have the guts to actually implement it, can't see the public going for that one myself.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
Anyway I'm far more worried about some of the other crap they want to introduce, pay per mile etc, especially as its a short step to instant speeding tickets. I doubt any government would have the guts to actually implement it, can't see the public going for that one myself.
Assuming they go for the chip-in-license-plate plan, I foresee a lot of license plates regularly 'falling off' in the future.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote