Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-03-2004, 04:24 AM   #46
mindgam3
Regular User

did anyone really think otherwise?
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:00 AM   #47
dons5
Regular User

obviosuly not
Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #48
sameerrao
Regular User

Provisional 2005 Calendar - 19 races

6th March: Melbourne, Australia
20th March: Sepang, Malaysia
3rd April: Sakhir, Bahrain
17th April: Imola, San Marino
24th April: Nurburgring, Europe
8th May: Catalunya, Spain
22nd May: Monte Carlo, Monaco
5th June: Montreal, Canada
12th June: Indianapolis, America
26th June: Magny Cours, France
3rd July: Silverstone, Britain
17th July: Hockenheim, Germany
31st July: NEW ROUND: TURKISH GP
21st August: Hungaroring, Hungary
4th September: Spa Francorchamps, Belgium
11th September: Monza, Italy
25th September: Shanghai, China
9th October: Suzuka, Japan
23rd October: Interlagos, Brazil

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #49
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Provisional 2005 Calendar - 19 races

6th March: Melbourne, Australia
20th March: Sepang, Malaysia
3rd April: Sakhir, Bahrain
17th April: Imola, San Marino
24th April: Nurburgring, Europe
8th May: Catalunya, Spain
22nd May: Monte Carlo, Monaco
5th June: Montreal, Canada
12th June: Indianapolis, America
26th June: Magny Cours, France
3rd July: Silverstone, Britain
17th July: Hockenheim, Germany
31st July: NEW ROUND: TURKISH GP
21st August: Hungaroring, Hungary
4th September: Spa Francorchamps, Belgium
11th September: Monza, Italy
25th September: Shanghai, China
9th October: Suzuka, Japan
23rd October: Interlagos, Brazil
they are going to keep brazil around yes i thought this year might of been the last one
Old 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #50
racingfreak
Regular User

I can see why they would want to take silverstone out of the pic...cause its old and not up to modern standards, but imola is a classic and beautiful circuit. There is word of a race in central london...wonder if eckelstone will make it a reality?

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S
2003 Mercedes Benz ML 270 CDI
2005 Mercedes Benz A 180 CDI
2006 Mercedes Benz CLS 500
racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:24 AM   #51
possessed_beaver
Regular User

it may be a awsome sight, with the london background.

but would the track allow for overtaking, and compedative racing?
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #52
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

the city has to fulfill some strict safety requirements, and to be honest its not easy to find out many urban circuits that fulfills the requirements...for instance the FIA formula 1 rules are even more strict than the Indycar championships...in fact Monaco doesnt fulfill the minimum safety requirements either, and its in the formula 1 because its the most prestigious grand prix simply....anyway....once im also a big fan of urban racetracks since their driving approach more to the rallying driving concept.....any urban circuit is welcome for me also......i think that mr Ecclestone wont be against the project as long as it fulfills some safety requirements....the opposition will come IMO from Martin Brundle...the person who defends a lot the Silverstone racetrack
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #53
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by possessed_beaver
it may be a awsome sight, with the london background.

but would the track allow for overtaking, and compedative racing?
monaco doesen't but thats always one of the best races to watch every year
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #54
sameerrao
Regular User

Hakkinen would be needing a geriatric stroller ... he would be 39 by then ... He better do it now or just give up

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 09-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #55
dons5
Regular User

brazils an awesome race man
Old 09-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #56
sameerrao
Regular User

Expected this really ...
Source: http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

Panis announces F1 race retirement
And signs two-year Toyota test deal

After a long career stretching back to his Formula One debut with Ligier in 1994, Olivier Panis today announced that he is to retire as a Formula One race driver after the 2004 season finale in Brazil. Panis has however signed a new two-year deal with Toyota, which will see the 38-year-old Frenchman become the team's third driver next season.

In his role as third driver, Panis will substitute if either Toyota race driver is unable to take part in the Grand Prix weekend. However, the 11-year veteran of 155 F1 races is not eligible to run the third car during Friday practice sessions, according to current FIA regulations, which stipulate that the driver of the third car must not have participated in more than six Grand Prix in the last two years.

Panis' decision to retire from racing was made over the summer period the team state. However, Panis, a renowned test driver and Toyota have come to a mutual agreement, whereby Panis will conduct valuable testing duties in 2005 and 2006, as well as corporate promotional activities for the team. Additionally, Panis will adopt an advisory role for Toyota's young drivers programme, the Toyota Drivers' Academy.

"We are very pleased that Olivier has accepted our offer to stay with Panasonic Toyota Racing for an additional two years," stated Tsutomu Tomita, Team Principal of Panasonic Toyota Racing. "His input to our team has been invaluable and we see Olivier's future role with the team as crucial to our further development. His excellent technical feedback will be highly beneficial in a testing role. He will also take part in PR and marketing activities for the team. With over 150 GPs of experience as a race driver, he will also act as our reserve driver in case either of our race drivers cannot participate in a GP weekend. Together, I am sure that we can celebrate success in the coming years."

Olivier Panis, who scored his sole Grand Prix triumph in Monaco with Ligier in 1996 admits that his decision has taken a great deal of thought, but is delighted to continue with the team that he joined in 2003.

"My decision to retire as an F1 race driver has come after some months of deep thought, but I am proud that Panasonic Toyota Racing has decided to retain my services," Panis said. "I have a strong relationship with everyone at Toyota and I am pleased to be able to continue my work as a representative of the team both on and off the track. I am looking forward to helping the team move further up the grid and I am confident that together we will reap the rewards of our combined efforts over the last two years."

Jarno Trulli is expected to join the squad alongside Ralf Schumacher in 2005, but the team were keen to point out that the final decision has yet to be taken. "Contrary to reports, Panasonic Toyota Racing has not yet finalised its complete driver line-up for 2005, but the team will make an announcement once all details are concluded," a statement read.

Olivier Panis has notched up six points this year with the German- based team and heading to Monza as Formula One racer for the final time this weekend, will be keen to help Toyota move up in the Championship standings.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #57
dingo
Regular User

^ thats probably best for the team, he wasn't really achieving much anymore. I wonder who the new driver will be, maybe Sebastien Bourdais from Champ Cars, hes been great this season.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #58
5vz-fe
Regular User

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone doesn't want Michael Schumacher to wear his new seven-star cap in the Formula One paddock just yet.

According to Sport Bild, Ecclestone believes that it is premature to declare that Schumacher is the 2004 World Champion. "For me, Michael Schumacher is not World Champion yet," said Ecclestone. "He will be World Champion at the end of the season when the FIA will confirm it."

I guess Bernie really want to say is "Don't discourage ppl with your hat, I know even with the new point system you can still secure the title with races to spare but just give some hope to the others would ya?"
Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #59
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22
^ thats probably best for the team, he wasn't really achieving much anymore. I wonder who the new driver will be, maybe Sebastien Bourdais from Champ Cars, hes been great this season.
I dont know ... after daMatta they may be worried they'll get more of the same. I thought Trulli was a hot prospect here.

Two reasons:
1. He is fast and experienced ... knows the circuits well. Will make a good non-controversial teammate to Ralf Schumacher. Trulli is a qualifying king and Ralf being good at set ups will make sure the car improves

2. Mike Gascoigne knows Trulli from his Renault days and may push the issue thru ... you know what they say about a known devil versus an unknown one ...

Old 09-10-2004, 10:19 PM   #60
ZfrkS62
Regular User

interlagos had been in financial trouble over the last few years, along with magny-cours. They managed to pull out a few million bucks from new sponsors and saved their asses.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote