Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 02-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default Ferrari Challenge Stradale Sport Auto Supertest

here´re some translations....

Nurburgring:
the 425 HP strong and 1387 kilograms heavy "Lightweight" construction Ferrari plays an improtant role in the circle of the super sports cars. From its basis, the 360 Modena, nevertheless removes it on the North Loop 13 seconds and moves thereby for instance in the time window of the Porsche 996 GT3 and Lamborghini Gallardo. Its racing course fitness is thus proven thereby.

Hockenheim:
Its tremendous handlingt, which it has to owe also to the standard sport tires, brings it very far forward on the small course. It measures also here with the best ones. Reached, like the measured values, in the delay achievement no peak values occupy the high-performance brake assembly with disks from carbon ceramic(s) composite material. Probably however in the everyday life fitness (brake comfort) and in fading behavior.

Acceleration and Braking:
The CS misses acceleration and brakes into magic time border of 20 seconds (to accelerate form 0 to 200 kph and to break from 200 kph to stand) only completely scarcely. The standard semi-automated F1-gear box fits outstanding into the sporty surrounding field and shows also, what concerns the switching comfort, very acceptable achievements. The shortest switching time amounts to 15 milliseconds in the "Race"-mode then gets a bit hard. A braking control a very few competitors still do somewhat better, although the achievements shown do not give a cause for a complaint.

Maximum transverse acceleration:
The CS runs in series on Pirelli sports ytres of the type P Zero Corsa, in front in the quite small size of 225/35 ZR 19. On the rear axle the comparatively sumptuous format 295/35 ZR 19 is used. The guess: wider tyres in front would have entailed tendentious a much harder handling in the frontier.

Aerodynamics:
The extension of the front apron underneath the air ducts and the optimization of the air circulation at the under floor brings light drift at the front axle. At the rear axle the drift is reduced by aerodynamic fine cross section, among other things by the higher outline edge, easily. Also by the modified side spoilers the airflow within the tail range was improved. The absolute values do not cover themselves with the optimisticFerrari data, probably however indicated the tendency is confirmed.

Handling:
The close 18-meters handlöing track is still completely problem-free, therewhile the fast 36-meters handling track becomes a fastidious exercise:
The correct line to meet falls uncommonly heavily because of the jagged giving in behavior. Even small guidance corrections entail strong reactions in the handling. To approach the side inclination of the body driving along curves is hardly registered in the cockpit, why it falls in the CS every now and then heavily to reach the limit without doubts - about like that as it is possible with the BMW M3 CSL, which plays trumps here so impressively.
With the simulated, fast track switching the Ferrari does actually somewhat heavily, or the drivers. Which was said for the fast handling track, applies also here: the meeting of the correct point of giving in is completely simple nich and requires a lot of training. For rehabilitation is said:
The results look only compared with the brilliant CSL in such a way on the chassis sector somewhat weak.

Verdict:

"The meta-physical forces of the Ferrari are a component of its taking nature"

The subjective effect on outstanding ones as well as on that, which drives it, give it hardly an increase on the upward open sympathy scale. The uncommonly charismatic appearance of the Competitione Stradale is the one side, its hardcore program in things of driving dynamics the other one. The fascinating drive unit finds now also in an appropriate brake its countering part. The enthusiasm for the Competitione Stradale does not however only justify itself in the visible subject.

----

again, sorry for being that late....
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
noosee
Regular User

WoW
Thanks st .
I can't beleave that M3 is that fast. 6 secs faster on NS.
Faster on the slalom
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
yg60m
Regular User

Thank you St-anger, I begun a translation of my own french article I will post it (much) later
Old 02-12-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
moguai
Regular User

just for info: the bmw csl has been driven on slicks - the stradale with pzero corsa's.....

thats probably the reason why it's 6 s quicker on the NS.
moguai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by moguai
just for info: the bmw csl has been driven on slicks -

...Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, so nearly slicks
Porsche 911
Old 02-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
moguai
Regular User

not in this test. normally yes - but the car has been prepared for sportauto ...
Old 02-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
st-anger
Regular User

not in this test. normally yes - but the car has been prepared for sportauto ...
what´s your source on that....
Porsche 911
Old 02-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
moguai
Regular User

i'll try to find the article i read.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
st-anger
Regular User

i don´t think that this true, to be honest, i´m 99.9% sure that it has been equipped with the Pilot Sport Cup´s...
Porsche 911
Old 02-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #10
moguai
Regular User

it's in german - but check this: http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/m3cslst2003-1.htm

it's not the article i read, but it says that the time has only been reached because of "street-admitted" (? i'm not sure if this is the meaning of strassenzugelassen) racing tyres, whose are not driveable in wet conditions...

i'm still search for THE article with pics etc..
Old 02-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
st-anger
Regular User

it's in german - but check this: http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/m3cslst2003-1.htm

it's not the article i read, but it says that the time has only been reached because of "street-admitted" (? i'm not sure if this is the meaning of strassenzugelassen) racing tyres, whose are not driveable in wet conditions...

i'm still search for THE article with pics etc..
well, i´m from Austria, so i can read german quite well
first, i know this site and it´s not really that informative, they´ve no experts, and just post some statements...
second, they´re talking about the Pilot Sport Cup´s,

Bemerkungen:
Bereifung: 235/35-19 - 265/35-19 (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup).

Konsequenter Leichtbau (abgespeckte Innenaustattung, keine Rückbank, Leichtbautüren, -kotflügel und -hauben, Kohlefaserdach), ein optimierter M3-Motor und ein renntaugliches Fahrwerk machen aus dem Sportcoupé eine Waffe. 7.50 min. auf der Nordschleife schafft kein straßentaugliches Motorrad und 157 km/h im ISO Ausweichtest sind sport auto Rekord. Diese Wunderwerte schaffte der Testwagen allerdings nur unter Zuhilfenahme von straßenzugelassenen Rennreifen mit sehr weicher Gummimischung, die schon bei Nässe nicht mehr richtig fahrbar sind. Die Aufhebung der VMax-Begrenzung von 250 km/h nimmt die BMW Motorsport GmbH auf Wunsch vor.
Link: bmw.de

...as i said, they´re nearly slicks, but they handle very good even in wet conditions, so again, they are wrong....

again, i´m definitely sure that SA tested the CSL with the Michelins, and some guys just mixed that up, because they look like ( and slightley act like ) slicks, but with real racing slicks it´d have been WAY faster....
Porsche 911
Old 02-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #12
dropot2
Regular User

Thank you a lot st-anger! Mainly for the translation
________
Buy Glass Bongs

Last edited by dropot2; 02-10-2011 at 06:00 PM.
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #13
sentra_dude

Thanx st-anger...I would have been lost w/o your translation...

Surprising about the CSL being faster & wining...but maybe not considering those tires on the CSL.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:55 PM   #14
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I didn't even think of comparing the M3 CSL with the 360 CS... it's a damn nice comparison though... wouldn't mind having either one of them...
Old 02-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #15
levensnevel
Regular User

Thanks st-anger,

a very interesting test
Always very entertaining to read the reactions, explanations, excuses afterwards.
Basically I don't care at all which car is quicker on which tyres and what track. Can't afford either of these two cracking cars ers but if I could I would go for the Prancing Horse any time, any were , any track, any tyre :fadein:

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote