Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #16
gogo4ever
Regular User

Perfect article...
The Evo vs Zonda... Not a huge difference in point of performance view... Especially for "real world" but when it comes to style, quality, sound, esthetic etc... I could not take my eyes off Zonda...
PS: In 1999, I had the opportunity to seat on the driver seat of a Zonda, Grey one... It was a fantastic feeling... But when I remember that it was only the car in the showroom, not on the road... I totally disappointed
Old 09-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
schnell318
Regular User

WTF?!?! a 400bhp Evo, that´s so incredible, too bad the rear lights look so bad, but I really wouldn´t mind owning such a car.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #18
Ian_yamaue
Regular User

Damn, it beats the Murc in 0-62mph!!! That was a surprise, I have a lambo fan friend (not a007apl) who is pissed off.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #19
leo_26782
Regular User

Great article, but i doubt you buy a zonda for the same use as a Evo. It's hard to compare cars not built for the same purpose.
leo_26782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #20
godspeed06
Regular User

the most amazing thing is the 3 year warranty if that ends up being true. are they fucking crazy? all 100 of those if driven hard will explode.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #21
evoWalo
Regular User

maybe the have clause stating that if the cars are used in competition the warranty is void. anyway at the premium they're demandign they better cover whatever happens to the car.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 PM   #22
Schwalbe

Wow! :shock: I didn't know that the EVO FQ-400 was capable of also great performance.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:53 AM   #23
wolfster
Regular User

Damned I think I have to cancel my Zonda now
let's cancel it and buy 20 mitsus ha
wolfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:35 PM   #24
crazyxzer0
Regular User

Quite an interesting article. Does mistubishi have anything else going for them besides the EVO. seems like there are a bajillion versions of the Evo nowadays..
Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #25
crazidude
Regular User

Performance cars wise, Mitsubishi doesn't have anything better than the EVO. Not many companies have something that can stack up against the EVO surpisingly.
I wouldn't have ever expected an article comparing these two cars, nor did I expect an FQ400 to be made. I'm curious how well it would lap a track right now.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #26
homemade wrx
Regular User

very nice scan...
homemade wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 AM   #27
Dave1
Regular User

I have to disagree with CAR magazine when they say "in the real world nothing comes close to the Evo". By this I assume they mean B roads (country roads) because that were the Evo shines and if were being realistic a lot of things can keep up with this new Evo. Simply because of the fact that public roads are dangerous and when your approaching a blind bend at speed you always have that thought in the back of your mind that there could be a tractor, cyclist or someone broken down on the exit of it :shock: . So really you can't use the anywhere near the full potential of either of these cars of B roads and if you feel you can you shouldn't have a drivers licence!!! So in the real world the closest you can get to using the full potential of these cars on the public roads is on motorways where, provided that driving conditions are good it is much safer do so. On the motorway the Evo would be outclassed. On a closed country road the Evo probably would leave the Zonda for dust but in the "real world" when are roads closed for you to have a blast in your car?

0-62 times are not a benchmark for cars of this power they are all much of a muchness. A more relevant benchmark would be 0-100 or more importantly 50-100.

One thing I do agree with CAR in that the evo would be much better in the wet. But the Zonda would be more fun or dangerous maybe? LOL depends who’s driving it.
Dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 AM   #28
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

These articles are jokes... I HATE them... what idiot would choose an evo over a zonda???

But thanks anyway!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM   #29
Ian_yamaue
Regular User

Wow, easy boy. Look at the prices.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #30
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Dave1
I have to disagree with CAR magazine when they say "in the real world nothing comes close to the Evo". By this I assume they mean B roads (country roads) because that were the Evo shines and if were being realistic a lot of things can keep up with this new Evo. Simply because of the fact that public roads are dangerous and when your approaching a blind bend at speed you always have that thought in the back of your mind that there could be a tractor, cyclist or someone broken down on the exit of it :shock: . So really you can't use the anywhere near the full potential of either of these cars of B roads and if you feel you can you shouldn't have a drivers licence!!! So in the real world the closest you can get to using the full potential of these cars on the public roads is on motorways where, provided that driving conditions are good it is much safer do so. On the motorway the Evo would be outclassed. On a closed country road the Evo probably would leave the Zonda for dust but in the "real world" when are roads closed for you to have a blast in your car?

0-62 times are not a benchmark for cars of this power they are all much of a muchness. A more relevant benchmark would be 0-100 or more importantly 50-100.

One thing I do agree with CAR in that the evo would be much better in the wet. But the Zonda would be more fun or dangerous maybe? LOL depends who’s driving it.
Dave1 did you bother reading and understanding the article/scans at all? Your assumptions are out of sync with what was stated. “Real world” means roads that have defeats, potholes, speedbumps, debris, wet etc. These are the kind of roads you find in cities, towns and in between. I doubt the Zonda or any supercar for that matter can go fast and at the same time handle a sudden depression caused by a pothole and survive without damage. The Evo in general can in most cases.

The driving situations you describe are behavior off a reckless & stupid driver that really can’t be blamed on the Evo or any car for that matter. The FQ400’s acceleration can be used in real world situations, whether to overtake slow moving cars, evade accidents or avoid traffic. In the wet the AWD handles wet/damp/moist road surfaces better. Yes you can do overtake slow moving cars, evade accidents or avoid traffic in a Zonda or any other supercar for that matter but again can it do that on a poorly maintained & wet public road?

Again how can the FQ400 be outclassed by a Zonda when the article states that the Evo is .1 second faster from not to 62mph? By all indication the time published were timed on a race circuit where the Zonda should shine.

Yet again why cant 0-62mph be the benchmark on how to quantify the performance of any car? Sooner or later another mag will showcase 0-100mph or 50-100mph but those are secondary data that a more elaborate review and not a preview should cover. After all the car is slated to be sold on October 1 and the article was done months in advance.

What I find most amusing is that a 303 thousand quid supercar that has superior engineering specs can post an inferior time.