Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-20-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
Jabba
Regular User

Default THE BRITISH GP, Silverstone - RESULT

The track was invaded by this loony !!!! full race results and report to follow...

Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Jabba
Regular User

Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello has won one of the races of the season in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

The polesitter had lost the lead at the off and things got worse for the Brazilian after a protester ran onto the track during the race (see picture).

That shook the race up completely as the safety car was brought out and left Rubens well down the field.

He needed to use every ounce of his talent and racecraft to get him back to the front. It was an incredible performance in an incredible race.

Rarely have we seen so much overtaking and much of it was simply breathtaking. That should ensure that the race won't be overshadowed by the actions of one particular idiot on lap 12.

The 'lunactic' ran up the middle of Hanger Straight as cars swerved to miss him.

He was bizarrely dressed in green, waving flags and carrying placards before eventually being brought to ground by a marshall. He could easily have been killed.

It brought back memories of Hockenheim three years ago and there are sure to be questions asked as to how he gained access to the tarmac.

The race was turned upside down as the cars all pitted. That brought chaos as the garages tried to the cars back out at the same time.

Unbelievably it left Michael Schumacher in position 13 sandwiched between the two BARs.

Jacques Villeneuve was in no move for yielding and the world champion was left in a midpack dogfight.

Meanwhile 30 seconds ahead the car in front really was a Toyota as Cristiano da Matta led the British Grand Prix for more than ten laps.

Finally the rookie was forced to pit and Raikonnen took up the charge from Rubens and JPM.

Yet the race wasn't about to settle down as Rubens refused to let Kimi get comfortable and began bearing down on the Finn.

The two cars pitted and despite the endeavours of the Ferrari mechanics and some super fast laps from Rubens, he remained behind Kimi.

That was lap 39 in what appeared to be a pivotal moment.

How wrong we were, Rubens immediately poured all over the McLaren and took him at 150mph going into Bridge.

It was tremendous stuff and the misery wasn't over for Kimi as he made a mistake to let Montoya in.

It was now a straight race for the line and who else should be making up ground, but Michael Schumacher, methodically crawling his way back to fourth.

In a race of countless overtaking manoeuvres DC gave the home crowd plenty to cheer about in the final laps as he honed in on P5. His move on Jarno Trulli had James Allen and Martin Brundle both purring in delight.

Earlier, Silverstone was basked in warm sunshine as the five red lights went out.

Jarno Trulli was first to Copse as Kimi went past Rubens while Michael Schumacher had to hold off Fernando Alonso who powered from eighth to sixth place on the grid.

Another mover was Coulthard who got past both Jaguars on the first lap.

Five laps later and the safety car made an early appearance after the Scot's head rest fell off on lap six leaving debris on the track. At that point it seemed that DC's luck was firmly out.

Then came the protester which triggered a full hour of first-class racing.

Kimi will know that he ought to have finished higher but the Ferrari was definitely the car of the day.

The team's recent work has obviousy paid off.

Before we herald Rubens it was another superb performance by Michael who yields just a single point to his nearest challenger in the championship. (He now leads Raikkonen by seven points).

But the day belonged to Rubens Barrichello - who clearly loves the Northamptonshire airfield.

Last year he went from 21st to 2nd place here. This year he went one better.

It led James Allen to remark that it was the moment that Rubens showed he really is world class.

1 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1h28m34.554s
2 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams BMW +0m5.462s
3 Kimi Raikkonen McLaren Mercedes +0m10.656s
4 Michael Schumacher Ferrari +0m25.648s
5 David Coulthard McLaren Mercedes +0m36.827s
6 Jarno Trulli Renault +0m43.067s
7 Cristiano Da Matta Toyota +0m45.085
8 Jenson Button BAR Honda +0m45.478s
9 Ralf Schumacher Williams BMW +0m58.032s
10 Jacques Villeneuve BAR Honda 1m03.569s
11 Olivier Panis Toyota 1m05.207s
12 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Sauber Petronas 1m05.564s
13 Ralph Firman Jordan Ford +1lap
14 Mark Webber Jaguar +1lap
15 Jos Verstappen Minardi Cosworth +2laps
16 Justin Wilson Minardi Cosworth +2laps
17 Nick Heidfeld Sauber Petronas +2laps
18 Fernando Alonso Renault +8laps
19 Giancarlo Fisichella Jordan Ford +16laps
20 Antonio Pizzonia Jaguar +28laps
Old 07-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
possessed_beaver
Regular User

lol go the loony, now he can say he has been in the F1, probley guna pull heaps of chicks now
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
Jabba
Regular User

I like that last pic...where they are dragging him along by his arm...price-less!!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
twboy1999
Regular User

ruben was awsome today,, overtake many cars today

man,,, did u guys see Jacques Villeneuve what an fag,,, when his teamate Button try to overtake him,, Villenuve try to hit him twice or once i forgot,,he should be out of F1, His teammate Button has outdrived him for the entire season and he is alot younger
Start of the season Villenuve says if his teamate out drive him, he would quit F1, we will see about that

Michael Shuchmacher had a bad luck day,,..would have like him to win instead
twboy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
skelter
Regular User

I fell asleep today and couldn't watch the race.
skelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
robruf
Regular User

With all that went on today, it was easily the best race to watch so far this year, even with the dummy running onto the track. Lots of passing and blocking made it great to watch. You guys in the U.K. will love T3, in my opinion it is the best movie so far this summer.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
scubywrxr
Regular User

It was one of the few F1 races were people actually raced and not drove around as a quick train, overtaking was amazing, i had to pinch myself to make sure it was not a touring car race..

I have to hand the laurels to Roobie - he literally told his critics to shut the fuck up I am the man 8)

Kimi is taking mclaren to places it should not be - they are holding on by the last hairs on wRONg`s nuts to the WDC.. soon its going to be out of their reach.. and the MP4 18 will be launched in 2005 I guess. :roll:
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:10 PM   #9
scubywrxr
Regular User

Anyone know what was the story with the infamous loony?
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:42 PM   #10
fedezyl
Regular User

WOw....maan, I wish they showed it here!! sounds like an amazing race!!!

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #11
Jabba
Regular User

highlights show tommorow....

loony video now....

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~khire/loony.zip
Old 07-20-2003, 10:52 PM   #12
SL55 AMG
Regular User

Absolutly the best race all year....(besides the Moron on track, which was HILARIOUS....I wish the Jag hit him )

Rubens put up the best race i thought, his passes all day were extrodinary wish Micheal was up higher in the points though

:shock: Toyota :shock: wow great job especially mid-race
SL55 AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
tekwar
Regular User

definitely one of the best races in a long time, its a shame though that montoya and kimi couldnt put up more of a fight in front against rubens. Ferrari had the better package at the end of the day. Good to see toyota finishing in the points as well.

I dont agree with the comments on jacques though, he is racing for position, and that kind of incident happens all the time on other teams for example BMW. Why would he just let his teammate through, just because they are teammates. I want to see them fighting it out, thats the point of motor racing, not the parade laps that ferrari demonstrated last year.

All in all a great race. now the standings are tighter than ever, with still a lot to fight for in the drivers and constructors. Cant wait for the next race.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #14
stracing
Regular User

how unlucky was schuey

i want to shoot that fucking dickhead. schuey would of been ahead of kimi.

thankfully he only lost one point
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 AM   #15
zr2man99
Regular User

Those people that run onto sporting events like that are stupid. Especially an F1 race. Someone could have been killed.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote