Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #31
snacky
Regular User

levensnevel,

you're thingking about it way too much it, that's way too elabrate and unneccessary. they just need the fastest driver for each car under same or similiar weather conditions. and the car should be bone stock from the showroom. otherwise you get into a world of "what ifs" and no comparison would be enough.

I just want a quick comparison of relative fastest possible lap times between cars. if each manufacturer provide their own "ringer race driver" and conduct the test within common weather conditions that would be enough. then they cant say " well the stig sandbaggged." but as it stands, the way top gear does their testing does not give a good indicatiion of relative speed between cars. the way they're testing they're saying an rx8 is only 0.8 secs slower than an 911 turbo in the wet. it's a useless comparison.

and btw. if I also disagree with the way 5th gear conducts their tests. It's fun to watch , but all that oversteer and sliding around slows the cars down.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #32
snacky
Regular User

Originally Posted by McP
They stopped doing this because they didn’t have enough water (it was too expensive).
Top gear can't afford to to put on sprinklers? hahahaha . they're covering their ass coz they know they should have cars tested under the same ( or similar) weather conditions.

but seeing from their point of view, they do have deadlines and they can't control the weather. they should just do their testing on a track where the weather's more consistently dry.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:55 AM   #33
pimrusis
Regular User

They aren't going to build an indoor track snacky. And in Britian that is the only way your plan will work. Plus, do you know how much money it would cost to soak a race track with water? Do you know how much it would cost if they had to do it in the sun, which they would have to, during the summer? And do you also realize that they would have to keep it soaked for the length of time to get the car tested (since they run it a few times because of crashes and other things). They would have to do that every week, and sometimes for more than one car. No that won't work.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:34 AM   #34
snacky
Regular User

indoor track? do it in britain?! hahahahhahaha !!! lmfao !!!

all they have to do is use a different track where it doesn't rain as much, like maybe in Southern cali, or Southern France.

indoor track ! hahaha! too too too funny lmfao ! hahahahha

(and yes I know quarter midgets run indoor arenas, but I dont think they can do a good test of street cars in an indoor arena, not enough straights)
Old 01-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #35
levensnevel
Regular User

Snacky,

with respect to 5thGear I was referring to the episode in which they did the head 2 head comparisons of a proper circuit with, if I remember correctly:
> Aerial Atom vs Radical SR3
> Audi TT vs Nissan 350Z and
> BMW Z4 vs Porsche Boxter
When it comes to the dry / wet / damp discussion of the track my guess is that they prefer a damp / mildly damp surface of the track because that reduces the tyrewear considerably.

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:48 PM   #36
pimrusis
Regular User

Originally Posted by snacky
indoor track? do it in britain?! hahahahhahaha !!! lmfao !!!

all they have to do is use a different track where it doesn't rain as much, like maybe in Southern cali, or Southern France.

indoor track ! hahaha! too too too funny lmfao ! hahahahha

(and yes I know quarter midgets run indoor arenas, but I dont think they can do a good test of street cars in an indoor arena, not enough straights)
God Snacky, keep quiet. Test in Southern California? So you want to fly, JC, a film crew, and the car (s) to southern California (or even southern france) every week after they do their reviews on the Top Gear base? Thats brilliant (and since Snacky obviously can't recognize it, this is sarcasim).
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:33 AM   #37
snacky
Regular User

levensnevel,

I have to agree with you on those 5th Gear tests, they're better than the TG tests. but again, all that sideways driving scrubs off speed and throws off the laptimes. but anyways, many thanx to Jabbasworld for posting em. sideways driving is still THE MOST FUN to watch. I think the Best Motoring series is probably better for seeing relative speed between cars. I just saw the 2004 R&T speedchannel test vids, that would be probably be the best amongst what I've seen so far.

pimrusis,
yeah, you're right. it wouldn't be economical for TG to test in Socal, but they can hire me and some of my buddies here to do it for em , btw I did say they cant control the weather or television deadlines. OR... OR.... we can enjoy TG for its highly entertaining content and watch others shows ( listed above) to see relative speeds between cars.

so yeah, all kidding aside, I agree with both of u and I disagree on some points too.

I dont know if you guys get autoweek over there. in the us autoweek sometimes has current race drivers give opinions on product. I wonder how many wrecks those guys have had over the years.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #38
frodefe
Regular User

I thought that the identity of the STIG was a secret...?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #39
MercedeSChink
Regular User

Ouch, sounds like a huge misunderstanding. We finally know who Stig is!?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #40
cavallino
Regular User

Top Gear does seem careless when they are driving their cars sometimes but they also do this for their viewers enjoyment. I would prefer the stig driving my car than Tiff Needle. The reason for it is that after Tiff Needle drives your car, there is no rubber left on your back tires. I also remember Mr. Pagani himself telling Vicki not to drive the Zonda Roadster Tiff Needle style on a 5th Gear show because the Zonda actually belonged to a customer.