Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 08-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #46
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by TeflonTron
Originally Posted by RC45
RC45: I'm sure that that 10+ year old Diablo was shaking at the thought of a highspeed run!
As in "it's 10 years old and may break to bits if we push it too hard" - or facetiously "shaking" as in "we are not scared - we will still win - so who cares?"
Teehee!! Well, the early models had, shall I say, crap build quality, and I wouldn't want to do 206MPH in them, that's for sure.

What does a standard Z06 run to 150?
173mph is what stands out in my mind. 6th gear is twice the ratio of 5th, and there for CV fuel consumption.

sooo... people run their 15 year old ZR-1s to 180 even today... does that mean that GM suddenly has better build quality then the Lambos?
it cant be both ways, where the 'vette has bad build quality, then it has good biuld quality :roll:
Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #47
TeflonTron
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by RC45
RC45: I'm sure that that 10+ year old Diablo was shaking at the thought of a highspeed run!
As in "it's 10 years old and may break to bits if we push it too hard" - or facetiously "shaking" as in "we are not scared - we will still win - so who cares?"
Teehee!! Well, the early models had, shall I say, crap build quality, and I wouldn't want to do 206MPH in them, that's for sure.

What does a standard Z06 run to 150?
173mph is what stands out in my mind. 6th gear is twice the ratio of 5th, and there for CV fuel consumption.

sooo... people run their 15 year old ZR-1s to 180 even today... does that mean that GM suddenly has better build quality then the Lambos?
it cant be both ways, where the 'vette has bad build quality, then it has good biuld quality :roll:
Are you talking to me, or RC45?

Lambos had poor build quality in the early Diablo models, that is non contestable. A 10 year old Diablo will still be neck-a-neck with a new C5 Z06 at 150, and after that it's bye-bye 'Vette. The original Diablos were like, 4.2 to 60 and about 9.4 to 100, with 150 coming up in about 22 seconds. However, at 150 the Diablo still has 56MPH under the hood, whereas the Corvette has about 25MPH left.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:09 PM   #48
RC45
Regular User

I have no doubt Countach's and early Diablos were basically some parts shaken in a large metal drum - and they were bolted down where they landed. This means clutches, syncro's etc can get abused and broken easily.

But I seem to recall that a well maintained (ie you throw money at it annually) Diablo can be reliably run to 200mph regularly - but don't do to many standing starts you will fry a clutch a week

I will look it up later - but of the top of my head the C5 Z06 runs 0-150 in 23 or 24 seconds.

The C5 Coupe runs 180ish-mph in 5th gear - the C5 Z06 runs 173-4-5mph (depending on whose calculation you use) in 5th gear.

The C5 6-speed cars are gear limited on top. Well - not technically - see the ECU has both a throttle limiter and an injector limiter - you can only run to 174ish in 5th @ 6600rpm.

The throttle control cut-off is 9000rpm in 1-2-3-4 & 6 - but 6600 in 5th, and the fuel cutoff is 6600 in 1-2-3-4 & 6 - but 9000 in 5th.

There is also a speed limiter in every gear, and I think it is set to 254mph by default.

What they have done is made it a little less abrupt when you run into the rev limiter at 174mph. They close the throttle on you - not the fuel... but in every other gear they leave the throttle wide open, but cut the injectors off. This is why when you run into the red in 1st or 2nd or 3rd or even 4th its real abrupt and very noticable.

But in 5th it's almost like the car can't push through the wall of air - but this we know is not true, because the higher geard C5 Coupe pushes on to 180mph with only 350hp. Folks who have set their ETC (electronic throttle control) to 7000 in 5th have run right up to the limit and on to 180+.

It is how ever advisable to not do that with the stock valve train
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #49
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\You know what I dont get? That damn overdrive gear on a performance car. Why wont they just stick in a properly ratioed 6th gear? I'm sure it could hit 185+ with it.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #50
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
/\/\/\You know what I dont get? That damn overdrive gear on a performance car. Why wont they just stick in a properly ratioed 6th gear? I'm sure it could hit 185+ with it.
who wants to pay gas guzzler tax, let alone... who wants a 'economical supercar' to be uneconomical?

the Ford GT is geared even taller... and part of the reason that our supercars have such a broad torque curve that a gear can be used over a broader specturum; whereas a high reving car will need the short ratios to stay in the power.

funny thing is that i do agree with you, i would much prefer a close ratio 6 speed.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #51
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
who wants to pay gas guzzler tax, let alone... who wants a 'economical supercar' to be uneconomical?

the Ford GT is geared even taller... and part of the reason that our supercars have such a broad torque curve that a gear can be used over a broader specturum; whereas a high reving car will need the short ratios to stay in the power.

funny thing is that i do agree with you, i would much prefer a close ratio 6 speed.
Well - gas guzzler tax is only paid by the first purchaser... so us 'used car shoppers" don't need to worry.

But I am glad to have and love 6th gear. it allow me to make awesome cross country trips at 75mph, return 28mpg and only have to make 2 fuel stops on a 1200 mile road trip.

Thrashing the car through the backroads and only having a 200 mile tank range (at my 12mpg) is alreadya bother - needing to time you gas stops in podunk towns - I can only imagine how painful and irritating the 160 mile range a 9mpg Murci has.

Of course we need to consider that most weekends I drive further for fun than most Europeans drive in a year on that rinky dink continent
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #52
rpantoja0
Regular User

Link down!? Plz put it up again (I missed it...). Thnx
rpantoja0 is offline   Reply With Quote