Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 10-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #16
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Yablokov
omg, i juz looked at the engine shot (the one were the sticky has the glare on it).

n all i have to say is. "that engine must be a Bitch to work on."

its sooo tightly wound. it looks like they built the entire car around the engine.
thats basically every 911 after the 930

excellent car Oscar!
i dont car what anybody says, the 996 looks great... sure i think the 993/997 look and sound better, but its a Porsche! a wonderful car, looks great, performs/sounds great.

its sooo compfortable, and the perfect driving position too!
Old 10-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #17
fabro_s
Regular User

Se la mamo tu jefe wey, buena eleccion, ke se lo traiga a monterrey para aventarnos unas picas con el Vette de mi jefe

Felicidades

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 AM   #18
oscargarza88
Regular User

thanks!
^^jaja gracias, y esta muy lejos la ida a mty en el porsche, pero por mi si, para padrotear aya jaja! pero ni d pedo me lo presta wey, osea ni d pedo aki! (y ni para q tu corvette tiene 405 hp no?) este nadamas 320... pero no pesa nda entonces jala con madre.

and yeaq the engine bay is extremelly tight! but i dont know in the porshe but in t he bug at least (which is kinda the same back engine idea) u just drop the engine and work on it if u need to, of coarse little things r a bitch i bet.

and i searched on the boxer engine and why its better, but i wanna know how much better it is... just curious, cause i mean after all the work on crammin the engine it mush have to pay off somehow big! ( i know lower center of grav and all that, but how much better, is it a big noticable change?) anyways i hopei get to find out soon for myself

oh and nthfinity i agree completelly! its a porsche! its great but if it was my car i would have looked for a 933 turbo...
enough with the what ifs though haha! my dad bought this and its awsome "." its been my dads dream to own a porsche! from where he comes from to owning a porsche! hes my idol seriouslly! he deserves this! and more!
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:55 AM   #19
TT
Regular User

Nice car, it's maybe not the best 911 generation, but it's quick, reliable and still exclusive.

Originally Posted by Ziploc
Well. My favourite porsche. Why? RWD! No fancy 4WD but RWD.

The porsche egdes out the M3 in the fact that its razor sharp and has the name that we all drool for.

Great choice!!
Well, you can find RWD AND AWD 911 in every generation dude don't tell me you would pick a 996 Carrera over a 996 GT3, GT3 RS or GT2 :shock:
Old 10-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #20
Wutputt
Regular User

Good choice and a lovely colour as well, far better than a lot of silver grey 996's

Originally Posted by oscargarza88
whats wrong with the back bumber?^^
I think he means the bumps in the rear bumper, needed for the US spec models to meet the US 'bumper collision' legislation.

and i searched on the boxer engine and why its better, but i wanna know how much better it is... just curious, cause i mean after all the work on crammin the engine it mush have to pay off somehow big! ( i know lower center of grav and all that, but how much better, is it a big noticable change?) anyways i hopei get to find out soon for myself
The basic advantages of a boxer engine are:
- low point of gravity
- it's a rather smooth engine due to fact there is theoretical no primary and secondary unbalance
- low height

Putting the engine in the back has the advantage more weight is pushed onto the back wheels resulting in slower grip loss for them. Though during weight transfer in corners a car with an engine in the back can be rather tricky
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 PM   #21
oscargarza88
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Hey, nice choise I've got to say. You can't go wrong choosing a Porsche...but I've got to ask...midlife crisis?
what do u mean?

and Wutputt thanks, thats what i thought from the search i did.
but so theoretically is is faster with the engine in the back..? and if it is r u sayin it may not b faster but not as fun as a FR car, and by fun i mean like not having to worry about the car spinnin on u instead of short drifts.?

(i understand all the advantages but i just wanna know how all these advantages transmit in real life driving...)

thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #22
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Kind of reminds me of the tail-heavy F16, one of the reasons why it is one of the most maneuverable fighters around. I guess the F16 was inspired by the 911 .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:04 PM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

I guess the F16 was inspired by the 911 .
or the need to improve the kill to death ratio of US Pilots...

anyway, with the rear engine of a 911... when driving near or at the limit, special things happen.
there is less weight on the front tires, so basically no trail braking into a corner. also, the front tires dont bite quite right away, hence where the terminology "slow in, Fast out" comes from... and the added weight over the rear tires means they wont break loose when exiting a corner... this is where most additional speed is accesssed by the rear-engine design. although, it can get unwieldy, especially in older porsches before the engineered in less snap oversteer.

a facinating discussion about the rear engine dynamics of the 911, i think you'll enjoy reading
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14798
Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 AM   #24
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Thanks

Oscar. . . where are the pictures?!? We want more .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #25
oscargarza88
Regular User

thanks nthfinity, ill sure chek that out!

and im sorry ^^...
ive been vvery busy...first of all my dad takes the porsche to work and comes back till like 8 or 9, me 2 from tennis practice, so were never home, and when i am he isnt, and if we are well i have like 1 or 2 hours to do all the school and other stuff before i should go to bed cause ive been asleep in most of my classes. so it will be hard to catch the car, but i promise ill try my best ok
ill take them asap

i have some i took last time, they are not that great but theyr alrightto keep u entretained for now haha

there u go, not that great but o well for now..
thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #26
Evo
Regular User

Congragulations on the car.. Can't go wrong with seal gray..
Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #27
oscargarza88
Regular User

thanks^
and hey just a quick question...
not that my dad plans to mod this car alot since it has enough power already... (for him at least)
but he was lookin for at least a short shifter, i have found one but i dont really know anything about porsche tuning... just gambella and those but those are too out there for us i think..
so just basic stuff like intake, exaust, chip and stuff like that, nothing really extreme...
so please just a trustfull link to a US place would be appreciated...
thanks!

ps. about the pics sorry!!! ops: the weekend is comin though
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #28
nthfinity
Regular User

thanks^
and hey just a quick question...
not that my dad plans to mod this car alot since it has enough power already... (for him at least)
but he was lookin for at least a short shifter, i have found one but i dont really know anything about porsche tuning... just gambella and those but those are too out there for us i think..
so just basic stuff like intake, exaust, chip and stuff like that, nothing really extreme...
so please just a trustfull link to a US place would be appreciated...
thanks!

ps. about the pics sorry!!! ops: the weekend is comin though
i forgot to memtion that if you lift off on an exit of a turn, snap oversteer can happen
a quick search through some porsche magazines for the parts you're looking for

chips:
Powerchip 800-495-0777 www.powerchipgroup.com
upsolute 704-588-0207

exhaust:
supersprint 800 236 7232 www.supersprinta.com
Dansk 530 676 7246 www.jpgroup.dk

induction:
BMC 305-471-0042 www.bmcairfilters.com

lotsa stuff: (induction, exhaust, chips, suspension etc.)
automotion 800-789-1891 www.automotion.com
Ruf 888-783-6872 www.rufautocentre.com
evolution motorsports 480 317 9911 www.evoms.com
FVD 954 977 7130 www.fvd.us

really... too many adverts to go through, and i honestly dont know much about any of them, except Ruf... also, ive read good things about Automobile Associates in Canton CT.
St-anger highly recomends RS-Tuning, and Manthley quite highly as very reputable ( http://www.manthey-motors.de ) ( http://www.rs-tuning.de/ )
Old 10-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #29
oscargarza88
Regular User

^^
wow loots of links!
seriouslly appreciate it!
thanks!!
and yea now that u mention it i could ask St-anger for help.. i mean who knows more about porshces than him!
thanks nthfinity! u just made my life a bit easier
0X
Old 10-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #30
oscargarza88
Regular User

hi everyone..
well my dads B-day is comin up the 22nd, and i think were gonna buy him the short shifter... we were thinkin about carbon fiber dash and stuff but its too expensive.... i know cause its the real deal... or mayb the exause but i doubt it...
anyways i have a couple pics... they suk i know sorry.. but it was just fast, casue i feel weird when my dads around and me talkin pictures....

oh and i got to drive it today : now i can oficially say "I Have Driven a Porsche"!
OK i was with my dad and i just got to drive it less than 10 mins, on the way home from the store, and obviouslly i didnt step on it, cause well my dads there and its the first time... its a slow process.. specially with this car for him to let me drive it... i just got up to like 60 mayb... but it feels good, it feels sooo tempting casuse i barely touch the gas and (kinda) haha and im too scared to go for a drive without his permision... cause a little thing that goes wrong and bye bye everything, i rather wait and gain his permision....
anyways wheni got home i turned it on and revved it a bit and it sounds !! really it sounds awsome! and it was only like to 4k....
thers a pic where the revs are on their way down...
anyways as i said if there is a time where i can take proper proper pics i wil

oh and hey a quick question... does this car has Traction control... i mean it seams almost unbelivable it woudnt have but i just cant find the button to turn it off so im wondering...

well thanks