Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #31
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
The point is that the slim PS2 did not show up in 2000 when the PS2 was only a year old.

To release an XB360 now with extra connectors and upgraded components that are substantially better than the current model clearly shows M$ has no idea how to manage and make money from the "console market".

The console consumer (and there are many more millions of them than PC consumers) is NOT interested in buying a new box every year from the same vendor.

Period.

The argument FOR a console is that it is a simgle platform that is good enouhg to remain constant for 4 or more years - not somethign to be replaced every year.

M$ will alienate millions of potentail repeat customers if they fuck us all over wit a "better" model and no way to add the same connectors to the existing boxes.

Hard drive size is a moot point at this time as the PS3 is self-upgradable, not so with the XB360.
What you said is 100% true(as usual)
But what really has me worried is what if Sony loses almost all of their Exclusives? I mean I have heard like 5+ exclusive titles for the PS3 that will be coming to the 360 now. This would kill Sony. Also that another reason why I think the PS3 is not doing too well rite now because the lack of games and not many developers are wanting to push the hardware on the PS3. For example EA recently said that they were barely using 20% of the PS3's power! Thats just crazy. Hopefully we get more dedicated developers like Pholyphany Digital that use the PS3 to a good limit. Currently rurmors are that GT5 will only use 40-50% of total PS3 power.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #32
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
The point is that the slim PS2 did not show up in 2000 when the PS2 was only a year old.

To release an XB360 now with extra connectors and upgraded components that are substantially better than the current model clearly shows M$ has no idea how to manage and make money from the "console market".

The console consumer (and there are many more millions of them than PC consumers) is NOT interested in buying a new box every year from the same vendor.

Period.

The argument FOR a console is that it is a simgle platform that is good enouhg to remain constant for 4 or more years - not somethign to be replaced every year.

M$ will alienate millions of potentail repeat customers if they fuck us all over wit a "better" model and no way to add the same connectors to the existing boxes.

Hard drive size is a moot point at this time as the PS3 is self-upgradable, not so with the XB360.
Hit the nail bang on the head, MS has fucked up big time if they're planning to go ahead with this and i'm pretty sure 9 million customers are going to waste another 400 smackers on a console within a year of buying the current one. One thoery is to return your old one pay a bit extra to get the new but then what is MS going to do with million returned consoles.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #33
Max Power

but then what is MS going to do with million returned consoles.
sell them to 3rd world countries
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #34
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by McLaren4eVa
One thoery is to return your old one pay a bit extra to get the new but then what is MS going to do with million returned consoles.
And what about my saved games and images and videos on my current hard drive?

Unless they provide a plug and play solution, I foresee chaos.

N64 was just that, DreamCast, GameCube, PS1, PS2 etc... they are a console, not and upgradeable PC box.

M$ is missing the boat big time on the concept of a "closed engineered box" that has an extended life span. Thsi is what my view of a console.

Not a device to be continually upgraded and tinkered with and tweaked. Thats what the PC is for, because I want to choose the make model and tye of upgrade parts.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #35
gis
Regular User

stupid microsoft.to be quite honest i aint that bothered about the hdmi,its the bigger hard drive.but i was just thinking,when these 20 gig ones get full.what do we do? coz we cant just buy another hard drive (like this 120 gig one) and just carry on with your current gamertag and xbox live account can we

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #36
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by Max Power
but then what is MS going to do with million returned consoles.
sell them to 3rd world countries
I dont see why they wouldnt do this....bastards.

Anyways I know for sure that ALOT of people who bought the addon 20 gig HDD for 100 USD will be PISSED OFF and FUCK if MS comes out with a bigger HDD and its not easily swapable such as the ones found on the PS3. I just cant wait for this day hehe. A solution can be to offer trade ins I guess?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #37
ae86_16v
Regular User

"I want to point out that Xbox 360 allows partners to differentiate themselves. Available THIS year, by holiday 2007." - Robbie Bach

- - -

In regards to IPTV. But does this mean the feature will roll out Holiday 2007 or does this mean the new updated Xbox 360 will be available Holiday 2007?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #38
evoWalo
Regular User

The VGA & component cables of the current 360 can already do 1080p. Adding HDMI isnt much of an incentive to get another 360 but the smaller/cooler chip is a good incentive if noise, heat and power consumption are consideration. HDMI's useful if you want less cable clutter to a single wire, want a purely digital signal and if HDCP is already required.

Based on this article the PS3 doesnt have a built-in hardware scaler making em suck on HDTVs without hardware scalers.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #39
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
The VGA & component cables of the current 360 can already do 1080p. Adding HDMI isnt much of an incentive to get another 360 but the smaller/cooler chip is a good incentive if noise, heat and power consumption are consideration. HDMI's useful if you want less cable clutter to a single wire, want a purely digital signal and if HDCP is already required.

Based on this article the PS3 doesnt have a built-in hardware scaler making em suck on HDTVs without hardware scalers.
Read the article -

For the 360 that means the VGA cable, which is currently the only way the system can output 1080p;
I have already validated this with my XBox360.

The few people who claim the XBox360 can do 1080p via componant cable must have one of the few, and rapidly going out of fashion Westinghouse HDTV's that support 1080p via componant.

Almost to a T new HDTV's restrict the componant input to 1080i to meet copy proteciton legal specs.

Reserving 1080p for the HDMI cable.

I am returning some hardware today that is a componant -> DVI conneciton, and no-go with 1080p.

This does leave the XBox360 to be connected via the PC connection, which is a disadvantage - because on larger screens the refresh rate has the display a few inhes smaller than the LCD itself, which leaves a black border around the edge of the image - not great to have you game display potentially burn in your display.

I am also a little skeptical about the technical content of that article and will reply a little later after some testing. If a display can accept an input, it will display it at its native resolution - period.

What the image looks like will always be a result of the quality of the scaling solution... the fact is a $500 game console will never include scaler hardware that is any better than a TV - as the huge expense of modern TV's is reflected in part in these complex components.

In other words - you get what you pay for.

I forgot to add... there are few 1080p XBox titles, and HD-DVD is 1080i max res - not 1080p... So the premice of that article is all based on the superior upscaling that the Sony TV did for Microsoft.. not the other way round
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote