Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-12-2006, 04:37 AM   #31
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
If you see a computer as an appliance then any PC will do fine.

If you take a bit of pleasure in using your computer, then I believe by far OS X offers an experience far above and beyond Windows XP.

In a same way that could be applied to cars, if your point is to go from A to B, any car would do.

If you enjoy driving then I would recommend something nicer. For example there is something that is more than just raw horsepower or refinement that a BMW has over a Honda. It is more than all that tangible stuff you could mention. It is really just that feel you get when you get behind the wheel and actually start driving.

For me, the same logic applies to OS X. Personal preference.
What games and simulatord can you play on a Mac?

What engine tuning software can you run on a Mac?

What dyno software can you run on a Mac?

What lap timing/performance managing software can you run on a Mac?

What commercial data overlay/video overlay/engine managment software can you run ona Mac?

***crickets chirping***

That's what I thought..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:41 AM   #32
pharzo
Regular User

Economic success? End of the world? You using it?
No, all wrong I'm afraid. What will happen is rabid fanboys will be forced to admit that mac hardware is shit

Stock OS is unoptimized for Core Duos.
Apart from being untrue, the key word there is 'stock'. That's the point of a pc. Its customizability, its malleability.

PowerPCs are on the way out. Intel chips are in. So you could actually compare Apples to actual apples.

The fastest Powerbook G4 is 4-5x slower than a Macbook Pro using a Intel Core Duo 1.67GHz

The fastest iMac G5 2.1GHz is 2-3x slower than a iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0

Just a minor tweek to what gray said.

1. Clock for clock the G5 is faster than the Pentium 4 architecture

2. Clock for clock the Yonah/Core Duo chip is faster than the G5

The Yonah architecture is the next generation of the Pentium-M - the mobile chip first designed by their Israel design team. It's small, faster at lower clock speeds, and uses less power than the past x86 chips, which you are referring to.

A dual-core 2Ghz Yonah which can outdo a 3Ghz P4 Prescott, and run much cooler, which is necessary in a case that thin (the iMac case) when cooling are space-limited.

That's why Apple made the transition from PowerPC to Intel because Intel's Core Duo tech was vastly more superior than anything IBM can or will offer in the near future.

Malicious programmers have access to OS X for over half a decade and still no problems.
I don't know where you get the idea that yonah is somehow 'for mac.' Yes, it is better than apples proprietary hardware. It will also be used primarily on the pc architecture. Viiv, anyone? And whatever you may say, Apple didn't just choose intel chips because they thought "hey, what's the best thing we can do for our customers?" Because if they did that, this move would have been made a long time ago. They did this because they are trying desperately to get out of the proprietary hole they dug for themselves

And If I was EL PRESIDENTE, anyone who used a mac without a good reason would be imprisoned for life And the only good reason is "I'm too stupid/computer illiterate/luddite to use anything else"

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #33
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

If you take a bit of pleasure in using your computer, then I believe by far OS X offers an experience far above and beyond Windows XP.

In a same way that could be applied to cars, if your point is to go from A to B, any car would do.

If you enjoy driving then I would recommend something nicer. For example there is something that is more than just raw horsepower or refinement that a BMW has over a Honda. It is more than all that tangible stuff you could mention. It is really just that feel you get when you get behind the wheel and actually start driving.

What commercial data overlay/video overlay/engine managment software can you run ona Mac?

***crickets chirping***

That's what I thought..
I don't use or need any of that stuff you mention. So what's your point? :bah:

Originally Posted by pharzo

I don't know where you get the idea that yonah is somehow 'for mac.' Yes, it is better than apples proprietary hardware. It will also be used primarily on the pc architecture. Viiv, anyone? And whatever you may say, Apple didn't just choose intel chips because they thought "hey, what's the best thing we can do for our customers?" Because if they did that, this move would have been made a long time ago. They did this because they are trying desperately to get out of the proprietary hole they dug for themselves

And If I was EL PRESIDENTE, anyone who used a mac without a good reason would be imprisoned for life And the only good reason is "I'm too stupid/computer illiterate/luddite to use anything else"
So you believe that Apple will either one license their OS or two allow other manufactures to make computers for them again, e.g. Clones?

I guess I am too stupid to use Windows XP.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #34
pharzo
Regular User

I guess I am too stupid to use Windows XP.
Hey, you said it, not me

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #35
exhausted mules
Regular User

can you overclock a mac?

while using temp software to judge the melting point of your video processor?

while tweeking memory timings to make sure you can run battlefield 2 on full resolution everything maxed and not crash while loading the map?

if so. ok, i have no gripes about mac. (didn't they invent the computer or something?) but going proprietary when you know your competitor (even though its a stolen design) has a more comercially viable product.

if apply would have stayed neck and neck with microsoft this whole time instead of trying their own thing.

we would ALL have better pcs and macs.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #36
RC45
Regular User

***crickets chirping***

That's what I thought..
You don't - but tens of millions of other people do..
Old 01-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #37
SFDMALEX
Regular User

That us PC users enjoy "computing".

Look, I can do everything an OSX equipped mac can do, and then some. Actually more like 3 times of what your mac can do.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #38
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

That us PC users enjoy "computing".

Look, I can do everything an OSX equipped mac can do, and then some. Actually more like 3 times of what your mac can do.
And you could drive from point A to B in a Civic too and 3x faster w/ a Jackson Racing Supercharger. I just prefer my M3 that's all.

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
can you overclock a mac?

while tweeking memory timings to make sure you can run battlefield 2 on full resolution everything maxed and not crash while loading the map?

if so. ok, i have no gripes about mac. (didn't they invent the computer or something?) but going proprietary when you know your competitor (even though its a stolen design) has a more comercially viable product.

if apply would have stayed neck and neck with microsoft this whole time instead of trying their own thing.

Yes to all of the above. Well, I guess that is another discussion all together about going proprietary and what not.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #39
RC45
Regular User

Let's see you do this witha Mac..

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/11370...ter_Processors
Old 01-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #40
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

AHHAHAHAHHA Thats great
Old 01-13-2006, 06:08 AM   #41
cooperluke
Regular User

It's fake... processors don't explode...

Specially the P4, that does thermal shutdown, or reduces speed until temperature goes down.

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #42
exhausted mules
Regular User

der iza hoole inza moderbooard!

lol
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 AM   #43
evoWalo
Regular User

Cause Intel got its act together. Intel's Pentium M technology & chips derived from the Israeli teams (ie Intel Core Duo/Solo) effort made Intel chips competitive again.

Check out anand's preview on the Yonah chips for more info.

Seeming you know a lot of PCs this shouldnt be news to you.
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
So now Intel is great and a year ago it was shit....

You mac boys...cheating judases
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #44
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by pharzo
No, all wrong I'm afraid. What will happen is rabid fanboys will be forced to admit that mac hardware is shit
Yes all Intel hardware is shit.

Apart from being untrue, the key word there is 'stock'. That's the point of a pc. Its customizability, its malleability.
You cant customize the kernel of Windows which 90% of the world uses. Linux, probably. Windows, no way.

Apple doesnt own PowerPC so it isnt 'apples proprietary hardware'. Viiv isnt a 'chip' like Yonah it's more of a platform like 'Centrino'.

Apple couldnt move to Intel cause there wasnt any reason too until Yonah came out. Hard numbers convinced Apple to move from PowerPC to x86.

Intel technology is still proprietary as PowerPC.

Good thing we got people like RC to keep people like you out of office.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:19 AM   #45
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
can you overclock a mac?
Yes you can. It isnt alien technology.
Yes there is.
Try google.
They popularized the concept of Personal Computers & the Graphic User Interface. Every technolgoy Apple got is properly licensed and compensated for which cant be said with Microsoft which had to get sued and then settled after a long & drawn out legal battle.

Apple Computer was created to make the best computers possible for their customers. Microsoft's goal was to make software that would be prevailent in all computers.
Apple being as big as Microsoft would make Macs as worse as PCs. No competition makes monopolies lazy. Microsoft having Apple allive lets it innovate without a much larger R&D budget.