Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #16
pharzo
Regular User

The whole points of Macs is the Operating System.
So what happens when Apple releases (officially) OS x86?

Indeed Apple computers are overpriced. Nevermind it's a pound lighter. Nevermind it isnt an Acer. Nevermind it has a better industrial design. Nevermind it's physically smaller. Nevermind it's 1" thick. Nevermind it can triple boot into OS X, Linux & Windows. Nevermind it has award winning bundled software that can edit video, make DVDs, mix audio & edit & manage photos that makes owning a Mac worth it. Nevermind better build quality. Nevermind it gets bundled with a free dev kit. Nevermind it has FrontRow. Nevermind it has an IR remote. Nevermind it has a magnetic powerplug that would help prevent your laptop from falling in case someone walks into the power cord. Nevermind it has back lit keyboards. Nevermind it has Bluetooth 2.0+
Yes, nevermind all that stuff. Because the acer has a faster processor, more RAM, a better hard drive, and a DVD burner that's twice as fast AND the possibility to uprade with components that are available at various prices and of various quality.

Nevermind it has a magnetic powerplug that would help prevent your laptop from falling in case someone walks into the power cord.
You see, Windows users have long since mastered the elusive 'cable step'

It probably still has parallel & serial ports too and the ever essential PS/2.
Probably why your precious mac has half as many usb ports as the acer, right?

Look, if your entire argument is that macs are better because the software front end is more attractive, and the design is 'industrial', then I have but one thing to say. Didn't your mother ever teach you not to judge a book by its' cover?

Admit it, you're just a misguided fanboy. Not that uncommon really, because mac lovers tend to be in love with macs, while PC users just enjoy computing. Like a hairdresser might love his TT, but the guy with the non status symbol car just loves cars

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

^^ Hater... :fist:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #18
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Originally Posted by pharzo

Indeed Apple computers are overpriced. Nevermind it's a pound lighter. Nevermind it isnt an Acer. Nevermind it has a better industrial design. Nevermind it's physically smaller. Nevermind it's 1" thick. Nevermind it can triple boot into OS X, Linux & Windows. Nevermind it has award winning bundled software that can edit video, make DVDs, mix audio & edit & manage photos that makes owning a Mac worth it. Nevermind better build quality. Nevermind it gets bundled with a free dev kit. Nevermind it has FrontRow. Nevermind it has an IR remote. Nevermind it has a magnetic powerplug that would help prevent your laptop from falling in case someone walks into the power cord. Nevermind it has back lit keyboards. Nevermind it has Bluetooth 2.0+
Yes, nevermind all that stuff. Because the acer has a faster processor, more RAM, a better hard drive, and a DVD burner that's twice as fast AND the possibility to uprade with components that are available at various prices and of various quality.

Nevermind it has a magnetic powerplug that would help prevent your laptop from falling in case someone walks into the power cord.

Look, if your entire argument is that macs are better because the software front end is more attractive, and the design is 'industrial', then I have but one thing to say. Didn't your mother ever teach you not to judge a book by its' cover?

Admit it, you're just a misguided fanboy. Not that uncommon really, because mac lovers tend to be in love with macs, while PC users just enjoy computing. Like a hairdresser might love his TT, but the guy with the non status symbol car just loves cars
Old 01-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #19
SFDMALEX
Regular User

PHARZO FOR PRESIDENT!
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #20
evoWalo
Regular User

Economic success? End of the world? You using it?
Still runs Windows XP. Stock OS is unoptimized for Core Duos. Still more buggy. Still more insecure. Better hardware specs glosses over the shortcommings of the OS
Seeming 90% of all computer users are Windows users... 9 out of 10 instances of falling Mac laptops are from Windows users.

Probably why the Macbook is so small & light.

If people thought that way then no one would buy nice looking cars. They'd all drive a Lada or a Kia and think a Bugatti is useless cause it can only seat 2 people. Not just the front end's better. The overall software package is better.
You sir suffer from Apple envy. If tinkering & fixing your computer is 'enjoying computing' then you're probably right. We Mac fanboys just sit in our laziboys love actually using Macs.

Enjoy your dull little boxes. 8)
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #21
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO

Enjoy your dull little boxes. 8)
I sure will
Old 01-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #22
graywolf624
Regular User

I guess I have to be the one to comment.. I hate to do this cause I prefer pcs, even though I also have two relatively new macs....

But here goes.

Processor speeds are not comparable between the x86 and g5 architecture. Why? One is risc the other is cisc(essentially has to do with pipelining.. look it up).
The g5 was risc, similar to most of your game processors. The reality is, a slower processed mac would perform as well as an x86 of a significantly higher value. The problem.. risc is more expensive then cisc.

Now with the mr wizard speech done.... I think the reality is macs and pcs have different purposes. Neither is better then the other and alot of it has to do with what your use to. I prefer my pc, but part of that is familiarity with it. I can no longer say that mac doesnt have its own software, even if I dont know most of it. I also cant say the pc can't do photo editing(duh).
I can say that the mac seems to be easier for the non computer expert to do complex tasks, especially related to high end media.
The pc is great if your an expert. But without being an expert any hacker could rip your windows box full of security wholes in the time it takes you to sneeze. While the macs certainly arent fullproof, it would take a dedicated hacker slightly longer because features are shut off out of the box.

So thats my take, for what its worth comming from someone who has used a computer since before many jw members were born.. (parents had a computer before I was born and I have memories of using one at sub 4 years of age.)
and has been x86 based since the first xt hit the scene, yet only used a mac for about 2 years.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #23
SFDMALEX
Regular User

[
You sir suffer from Apple envy. If tinkering & fixing your computer is 'enjoying computing' then you're probably right. We Mac fanboys just sit in our laziboys love actually using Macs.
Tinker? Fix? :roll: Dunno the meaning of the word. FYI fixing, if any is only when I break it.

I sure do enjoy my dull little box.

I enjoy my, full adobe kit.

I enjoy my audio studio

I enjoy my gaming

I enjoy my dvd/tv/cd ripping

I enjoy my cad

I enjoy my 3dsmax

I enjoy my.......damn too many things to list

All while sitting not on a lazi boy, but my big couch, with my wireless media keyboard having the dull little box connected to a 5.1 system, whilst running a clone desktop on my 42" sony rear projection.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #24
evoWalo
Regular User

PowerPCs are on the way out. Intel chips are in. So you could actually compare Apples to actual apples.

The fastest Powerbook G4 is 4-5x slower than a Macbook Pro using a Intel Core Duo 1.67GHz

The fastest iMac G5 2.1GHz is 2-3x slower than a iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0

Just a minor tweek to what gray said.

1. Clock for clock the G5 is faster than the Pentium 4 architecture

2. Clock for clock the Yonah/Core Duo chip is faster than the G5

The Yonah architecture is the next generation of the Pentium-M - the mobile chip first designed by their Israel design team. It's small, faster at lower clock speeds, and uses less power than the past x86 chips, which you are referring to.

A dual-core 2Ghz Yonah which can outdo a 3Ghz P4 Prescott, and run much cooler, which is necessary in a case that thin (the iMac case) when cooling are space-limited.

That's why Apple made the transition from PowerPC to Intel because Intel's Core Duo tech was vastly more superior than anything IBM can or will offer in the near future.

Malicious programmers have access to OS X for over half a decade and still no problems.

Originally Posted by graywolf624
I guess I have to be the one to comment.. I hate to do this cause I prefer pcs, even though I also have two relatively new macs....

But here goes.

Processor speeds are not comparable between the x86 and g5 architecture. Why? One is risc the other is cisc(essentially has to do with pipelining.. look it up).
The g5 was risc, similar to most of your game processors. The reality is, a slower processed mac would perform as well as an x86 of a significantly higher value. The problem.. risc is more expensive then cisc.

Now with the mr wizard speech done.... I think the reality is macs and pcs have different purposes. Neither is better then the other and alot of it has to do with what your use to. I prefer my pc, but part of that is familiarity with it. I can no longer say that mac doesnt have its own software, even if I dont know most of it. I also cant say the pc can't do photo editing(duh).
I can say that the mac seems to be easier for the non computer expert to do complex tasks, especially related to high end media.
The pc is great if your an expert. But without being an expert any hacker could rip your windows box full of security wholes in the time it takes you to sneeze. While the macs certainly arent fullproof, it would take a dedicated hacker slightly longer because features are shut off out of the box.

So thats my take, for what its worth comming from someone who has used a computer since before many jw members were born.. (parents had a computer before I was born and I have memories of using one at sub 4 years of age.)
and has been x86 based since the first xt hit the scene, yet only used a mac for about 2 years.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #25
Toronto
Regular User

how many pages is this apple vs. pc argument going to go on for?
bets anyone?
i hope 2
Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #26
SFDMALEX
Regular User

PowerPCs are on the way out. Intel chips are in. So you could actually compare Apples to actual apples.

The fastest Powerbook G4 is 4-5x slower than a Macbook Pro using a Intel Core Duo 1.67GHz

The fastest iMac G5 2.1GHz is 2-3x slower than a iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0

Just a minor tweek to what gray said.

1. Clock for clock the G5 is faster than the Pentium 4 architecture

2. Clock for clock the Yonah/Core Duo chip is faster than the G5

The Yonah architecture is the next generation of the Pentium-M - the mobile chip first designed by their Israel design team. It's small, faster at lower clock speeds, and uses less power than the past x86 chips, which you are referring to.

A dual-core 2Ghz Yonah which can outdo a 3Ghz P4 Prescott, and run much cooler, which is necessary in a case that thin (the iMac case) when cooling are space-limited.

That's why Apple made the transition from PowerPC to Intel because Intel's Core Duo tech was vastly more superior than anything IBM can or will offer in the near future.

Malicious programmers have access to OS X for over half a decade and still no problems.

So now Intel is great and a year ago it was shit....

You mac boys...cheating judases
Old 01-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #27
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
how many pages is this apple vs. pc argument going to go on for?
bets anyone?
i hope 2
When the Mac boys see the light and give up the end shall come
Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #28
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

PHARZO FOR PRESIDENT!
PHARZO EL PRESIDENTE
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #29
SFDMALEX
Regular User

When is the inaguration?

I heard main yuppie in charge is coming with his XP powered laptop. :shock:
Old 01-12-2006, 03:43 AM   #30
ae86_16v
Regular User

If you see a computer as an appliance then any PC will do fine.

If you take a bit of pleasure in using your computer, then I believe by far OS X offers an experience far above and beyond Windows XP.

In a same way that could be applied to cars, if your point is to go from A to B, any car would do.

If you enjoy driving then I would recommend something nicer. For example there is something that is more than just raw horsepower or refinement that a BMW has over a Honda. It is more than all that tangible stuff you could mention. It is really just that feel you get when you get behind the wheel and actually start driving.

For me, the same logic applies to OS X. Personal preference.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote