Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #31
jpatino03
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I guess my WalMart Timex is shit. *shrug*

Jewelery never appealed to me much any way... and watches are just jewelry for boys..
Its probably better made than a Rolex.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #32
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I guess my WalMart Timex is shit. *shrug*

Jewelery never appealed to me much any way... and watches are just jewelry for boys..
Yeah just like the C5 coupe instead of the Z06
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #33
styla21
Regular User

I heard somewhere that the originator of the rolex brand once said, 'we are in the luxury business, not the watchmaking business'.

Which makes a good point. Both a Neon and a Merc will get you from point A to B, but they do also make a statement; and that same statement applies to watches whether it be a Fossil or a Rolex, there is a large difference in what it says about you.

What your opinion is on how much importance that statement actually makes about you, is a completely different story.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:25 AM   #34
gigdy
Regular User

my dad bought a folex in mexico a while ago. i wore that for a year til it broke. now i use a marker to draw on my wrist.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:17 AM   #35
SDK2003
Regular User

How about this for the Ultimate 'Bling'

Jacob & Co : JC-33

Metal : 18ct Yellow Gold
Dial : 2.00ct Pave Diamond
Bezel : 5.00ct Diamond
Bracelet : 14.25ct Pave Diamond

Retail Price : £83,000

|| Canon 20D x2 | 17-40L | 24-70L | 100 USM Macro | 100-400L IS | 580EX ||
SDK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:28 AM   #36
Jabba
Regular User

Think how much fun you could have with an £83,000 car or an £83,000 watch. I know what I would choose.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #37
jon_s
Regular User

RONFL at this thread! T-bird I will ignore the comment about Saab lol -( only because deep down I know it is true)-

Anyway, Rolex are well know for not keeping time well. However, I know Jabba can confirm this, they are one touch watch. My old Submariner got used and abused but nothing ever phased it. I was always correcting the time though.

As for Breitling, yes they are a fine watch, but I personally hate the style. They are too fussy. I would get a headache looking at this every day: http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/produc...?productid=535

Omega certainly are not 'shit'. I think the seamaster is a very elegant watch, and in terms of a replacement for my old watch it is between that and a Tag Link. They are both subtle and stylish.

At the end of the day, the purchase of a watch is a very personal statement about your character IMO, and will therefore differ from person to person. If you use your watch to go trecking around the mountains, then fair enough have one with all the gismos on it. To me they would be useless, unless it could tell me how late my train to work is going to be.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:29 AM   #38
Sm@ck
Regular User

The CEO of Goldman Sachs, uses a Timex watch.

The CEO of Porsche, collects "exclusive watches"

Nothing wrong with wearing an expensive or cheap watch.
Personally I dont have much appreciation for jewelry at all.
In fact ever since I have a mobile phone I stopped wearing watches. I am more of a techie boy. To me watches are way too "old school"
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #39
mindgam3
Regular User

If you want a good watch try looking at patek phillipe and lange und sohne. May dad has a small collection. The most expensive of them being a rolex and one from each of the above companies (the rolex is the cheapest). The lange und sohne being pretty expensive. The reason that it is so expensive is because of how accurate it is. I watched a documentary on lange und sohne watches and you wouldnt believe the amount of detail and precision that goes into them. It even tells you what position the moon is in - all through clockwork mechanisms.

The most expensive lange und sohne is about £500,000 i think and the waiting list is about 12 years. And it is in not anyway bling. The reason its so expensive is because of the contruction inside, not outside
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #40
SDK2003
Regular User

Why would anyone pay £500,000 for a watch and then wait 12 years for it !!!

You could buy your own Atomic clock for less than that and they are the most accurate timekeepers ever developed.

The U.S. standard is the NIST-F1, which went into service in 1999 and will neither gain nor lose a second in 20 million years

|| Canon 20D x2 | 17-40L | 24-70L | 100 USM Macro | 100-400L IS | 580EX ||
SDK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #41
crazidude
Regular User

Atomic clocks? Those sound familiar....

Personally I would never spend more than a 100 bucks on a watch. Hell $50 is a lot for something that tells time.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #42
mindgam3
Regular User

Lol, but then again most people wouldnt spend more than £15,000 on a car because all it does is get you from A to B. Thats what most people think, we obviously no alot better, but its the same sort of thing in the clock world
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 PM   #43
stradale
Regular User

I think Da Vinci would be insulted if he would have known what Breitling stands for. They might not be as 'pimping' as a Rolex, but it's still a damn large, vulgar, penis size-compensating timepiece... In other words, WTF are you on about?!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:03 AM   #44
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\

lol. So that means I have to find the smallest watch on the market?

*MOM! Give me one of your watches*
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:28 AM   #45
stradale
Regular User

LOL, the penile referrance wasn't the best thing I ever wrote on this forum. Especially when you look at it after a couple of hours of sleeping the alcohol off... I hate when people say the same thing about exotic cars and now I've done it myself, damnit! ops:

What it still comes down to is that I don't like Rolex and Breitling. Some people apparently like their watches big and shiny, I don't.

BTW, my response in the 'Paris Hilton in a Murci' thread was written in the same toxic state, but that comment still fully stands as far as I'm concerned!