Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational 2009

This weekend I volunteered to work at the 2nd Annual Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational. This event is meant to take (primarily) SEMA show cars on to the track to prove that they're more than just show. The event has grown and 52 cars were entered this year with even more variety than before. 4 different competitions make up the event:

Road Course:

Each car gets a warmup lap followed by 3 timed laps, and a cool down lap. The slowest timed lap is thrown out while the better two are counted. Dropping two wheels off at any point immediately results in a 3:00 time. This was to prevent any corner hopping or time consuming track cleanup.

Autocross:

Like the road course, each car would get 3 timed runs with the slowest run thrown out.

0-60-0:

As one would guess, this was a simple acceleration and braking trial. Everyone used the same timing equipment which would trigger a light to let the driver know when the car hit 60. Unfortunately, some cars had issues with the light not functioning properly. As a result, their runs were not nearly as good.

Design:

This is the sillier subjective part of the competition. No, this isn't about theoretical performance. Instead, it is only about aesthetic appearance and unique customization . . . The idea was that anything performance related would sort themselves out in the other 3 events. I disagree given that not all cars had been sorted out on a track, outfitted with competitive R compound tires, and driven well.

Here are a few pictures. I'll update this after I get a couple of tests and projects out of the way.

Go, Penny, Go!

The Ridetech Camaro, Velocity, looked like it had some sort of rubbing issue when it tried to put the power down through a corner.

Last edited by 79TA; 11-09-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added pictures
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
pagani
Regular User

MotiV8r Camaro road course laps

Jackass 0-60 mph braketest.

Last edited by revhard; 11-13-2009 at 08:26 PM.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
luke deluxe
Regular User

what a lovely sound V8 plus turbos =
I gotta earn more money so i can by that fastback mustang
luke deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by luke deluxe View Post
what a lovely sound V8 plus turbos =
I gotta earn more money so i can by that fastback mustang
You can get one for 10-12k USD in Michigan.... with no real issues
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
MotiV8r Camaro road course laps
With all these American track day posts you do, you should just move to the US. And then maybe someone will post a video of you in one of these threads.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Do you have more pics? I suppose working at trackside doesn't actually give you much opportunity to take pictures.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
79TA
Regular User

Yes, I have lots more for pictures, and some decent video. I won't have a chance to do much with them until I get past tomorrow . . . two tests and one project down right now, two more projects due tomorrow then standard weekly assignments due thursday plus a lab.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
ab1
Regular User

what a sound
ab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
79TA
Regular User

a couple more:

Granatelli cars (the S197 Mustang was not in the event, whereas the GT-R and '10 Camaro both competed)

Inside one of the garages at the Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch facility: some of the driving school cars
Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
79TA
Regular User

. . . and while I'm too busy/lazy to upload my own videos of the event, I'll post a few others.

Here's Steven Rupp man-handling his 1968 Camaro, Bad Penny, around the autocross course. He lost powersteering, so the really tight low speed corners were not easy for him.

and after a trip to the local Autozone for a new power steering pump Rupp went and ran the autocross once more, though it being his 4th run, would not count towards the competition. With power steering, Penny ran in the 42's about 2 seconds quicker than before.

Lastly, here's David Pozzi piloting Penny around the road course

Despite running on all 8 cylinders (as opposed to 5 like last year) and having better tires (40 treadwear BFG R1's as opposed to last year's 100 treadwear Toyo R888's) Penny ran pretty much the exact same time (and yes, it was the same track configuration.) Pozzi feels he should have stuck to his own line and may not been aggressive enough in braking zones this year, while also questioning some of his gear selections through corners. Nevertheless, David's a great driver. It'll be fun to see how Penny compares next year.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
pagani
Regular User

Road course section
Lunati - In car footage of Project Bad Penny '68 Camaro

2010 camaro on auto x course and road course
Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
Road course section
Lunati - In car footage of Project Bad Penny '68 Camaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt1yIzhkoDA

Get your stuff together, man. That video is from the 2008 event. Notice that it was posted in May 2009 . . . before this weekend. And Penny is running on 5 cylinders in that video.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
79TA
Regular User

Here's a cool video that sort of previews the event:

Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
79TA
Regular User

and we have official results

*note: After apparently reading up on much of the controversy or maybe just triple checking their math, the Optima guys changed the results.

http://www.optimainvitational.com/media/results.html

http://www.optimainvitational.com/media/results.pdf

At the event, Steven Rupp driving the 1968 Bad Penny Camaro was announced as the overall winner. This surprised everyone as the '66 Cobra won every single dynamic event. Now, the Cobra is shown as the winner.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Get your stuff together, man. That video is from the 2008 event. Notice that it was posted in May 2009 . . . before this weekend. And Penny is running on 5 cylinders in that video.
Ok will do