Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Bugatti Veyron
subzero 142 53.18%
cool 61 22.85%
uncool 44 16.48%
seriously uncool 20 7.49%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #76
chedisme
Regular User

Yea id say cool. its a wonderful car, but idk something about it just puts me off a little. i'm not quite sure what it is, but its there. its not the price because there are plenty of cars that are very cool that most likely i wont ever able to afford. idk i think if i was able to see the car in person i might be able to figure it out. im hoping there is one at the javits center car show later this month. if there is ill get back to you all
chedisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #77
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by chedisme View Post
Yea id say cool. its a wonderful car, but idk something about it just puts me off a little. i'm not quite sure what it is, but its there. its not the price because there are plenty of cars that are very cool that most likely i wont ever able to afford. idk i think if i was able to see the car in person i might be able to figure it out. im hoping there is one at the javits center car show later this month. if there is ill get back to you all
There is nothing. I was lucky enough to see 3 different examples, and the detail they put into the car is astonishing. Although, you should expect something like that in a $1.4 million car. Maybe the fact that you can't have one is putting you off.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #78
Evo8
Regular User

Hardly.

The issue with VW Veyron is that there's no spirit about it, nothing special. A very expensive and very fast car, and that's it.
And from technical standpoint, there's no genius in it, just a megaton of highly funded fiddling - double engine, four turbos, ten radiators... yes, very creative. As creative as a multiprocessor server.

Compare for contrast a Lamborghini (even the top model which costs about as much). But it's all on fire, it's got some serious spirit. By driving a Lambo, one produces an image of aggression and flamboyance, he says "I'm crazy for bullsrun!". What does driving a Veyron say? "Hey, I've got more hp than you!".

It's not as uncool as the H2, but hell it's trying.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #79
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
Hardly.

The issue with VW Veyron is that there's no spirit about it, nothing special. A very expensive and very fast car, and that's it.
And from technical standpoint, there's no genius in it, just a megaton of highly funded fiddling - double engine, four turbos, ten radiators... yes, very creative. As creative as a multiprocessor server.

Compare for contrast a Lamborghini (even the top model which costs about as much). But it's all on fire, it's got some serious spirit. By driving a Lambo, one produces an image of aggression and flamboyance, he says "I'm crazy for bullsrun!". What does driving a Veyron say? "Hey, I've got more hp than you!".

Nonsense. You'd have to be a very boring person to say "I've got 360hp more than you!" is bad.

Besides, you forget that Lamborghini is run by the same people. Cough, Germans. And frankly, the new Lamborghinis are big disappointments in the drama department. I guess I'm too old school. Bring me a Diablo or a Countach or a Miura and we'll talk. And if you think most Lambo drivers bought their cars to do Bull runs, you're mistaken.

And since when was 1000hp + 1000ft lb = 250mph not aggressive enough, and the whole stinking leather + engine turned aluminum interior, ceremonial "top speed" key, matching $300,000 watch, and two tone paint with thousands of combination possibilities not flamboyant enough?

Oh, and welcome to MW!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #80
chedisme
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
There is nothing. I was lucky enough to see 3 different examples, and the detail they put into the car is astonishing. Although, you should expect something like that in a $1.4 million car. Maybe the fact that you can't have one is putting you off.

I said that that is not the reason because there are very many cars I cant not afford that I think very cool. for example I love the F40 but i will never have the money to afford one, but i still love it. if i had the money i would definitely own a veyron, but Id get an F40 first.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #81
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by chedisme View Post
I said that that is not the reason because there are very many cars I cant not afford that I think very cool. for example I love the F40 but i will never have the money to afford one, but i still love it. if i had the money i would definitely own a veyron, but Id get an F40 first.
I was joking with you.

*Do I really need to put a smiley next to every single one of my comments to make it a joke?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #82
chedisme
Regular User

oh ok. just thought you didn't read the whole post, or miss understood.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #83
Evo8
Regular User

And frankly, the new Lamborghinis are big disappointments in the drama department. I guess I'm too old school. Bring me a Diablo or a Countach or a Miura and we'll talk. And if you think most Lambo drivers bought their cars to do Bull runs, you're mistaken.
I agree; the Countach IMHO was the best Lambo done ever. To be more precise, after Countach they never did anything else, just variations on it... with varying degrees of spoilage.
Yes, most Lambo drivers probably aren't as crazy as the car screams, but hell, it does scream.

And since when was 1000hp + 1000ft lb = 250mph not aggressive enough
Since you could get 1000hp from a tuned cheap car, perhaps.
Besides, since the Veyron weighs more than a good pickup truck, 1000hp for it don't mean as much as they would for something lighter.

Horsepower stopped to be cool pretty long ago, about by 80s I guess, the demise of muscle car.
Supercars aren't about performance, they are about being unusual, shocking, more than just a fast car. Like Zonda, like Caparo, like Enzo. The VW Veyron somehow lacks that, it's just a big Beetle with very big engine and stuff to go with it.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #84
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Supercars aren't about performance, they are about being unusual, shocking, more than just a fast car. Like Zonda, like Caparo, like Enzo. The VW Veyron somehow lacks that, it's just a big Beetle with very big engine and stuff to go with it.
Whatever what I'm going to say isn't going to get through to you. If supercars weren't about performance, Caparo and Enzo wouldn't exist. And calling a Bugatti Veyron a Beetle because of the corporate tree, then you should call the Gallardo and LP640 a Beetle, call Zonda a Benz, and Enzo a Fiat.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #85
Evo8
Regular User

Caparo looks wacky, *and* offers performance (which BTW, would likely dust Veyron).
Enzo, not so much a performance car; the only really performance Ferrari for the last decades was F40.

But really as far as performance:price factor goes, all supercars are terrible deals; even if we don't take home tuning, look at how Atom dusted nearly every supercar out there. What's more, Atom isn't the best in its class. Some of the higher-end race/track tuned cars would perhaps beat Veyron by a good margin. It's not the point.

And about Beetle, it's not family tree, it's shape. EB110, that's a proper shape. But Veyron - take a Beetle, stretch it well, and you've got it.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #86
styla21
Regular User

Enzo, not so much a performance car
I appreciate that you have your own opinion and all.. But; Pardon?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #87
pitfield
Regular User

It is THE Supercar, apparently it even handles.

I think if anyone here is saying uncool then tey are thinking more about perhaps the superrich buyers than the car it's self. If it had a stripped out interior and a manual gearbok would it be cool?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #88
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Hardly.

Ignorance is really a bless for some people.

If you see ferrari enzo,porsche,pagani or other supercar at 350Km/h it start to dismantle but veyron with 2tons can achieve 407 km/h in total serenity and safety without any sounds.And he just handles like a big lotus.
leblanc2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #89
Evo8
Regular User

BTW:
You'd have to be a very boring person to say "I've got 360hp more than you!"
- this phrase is true in this form.

But; Pardon?
Enzo isn't as much of a performance-designed vehicle as F40. Significant shift towards comforts.

but veyron with 2tons can achieve 407 km/h in total serenity and safety
Yes, that's one place where it's the best. Except there are only two or three places in the world where it can do that, of course, and 99% of its buyers will never take it there.
The car is simply massively overengineered.

If it had a stripped out interior and a manual gearbok would it be cool?
Well, that would make it uncomfortable, and so cooler.
But it still lacks character. Too technical.

I think if anyone here is saying uncool then tey are thinking more about perhaps the superrich buyers than the car it's self.
Both factor. A Porsche might not be a pure performance vehicle, but it still is the kind of car people take out on the track, actually using its performance. Will any Veyron be used there? Very unlikely.
That is the same factor as with Chelsea cruisers and Hummers - they are poser, their owners never intend to use their key feature, in that case, offroading.

Last edited by Evo8; 05-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #90
leblanc2.0
Regular User

What is for you the ultimate supercar?

This supercars are bad for you because they are really good, well engineered?

You do with them what you want.If i had one of thouse,i would drive it in race tracks,motorways,i dont like cars to pose.

The only bad thing i can see with this cars is the money you need to have to buy them.Taking it sky is the limit.
leblanc2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote