Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

You give up already?

Damn mac boys give up easier then .........shit I dont even know anyone that easy
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #17
blinkmeat
Regular User

Sans care pc user - Mac people are converts - why?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #18
5vz-fe
Regular User

Darwin --> Natural Selection --> PC dominates the home computing market.

- There maybe software for most categories of applications avaliable to Mac, but you have to agree on the limited choices with Mac. Regardless it's games, productivity, engineering....
- PC does not mean Windows...so your Microsoft statement not necessary applicable
- Due to the less volume, hardware upgrades tend to be more expensive

I have no Mac experience, so I would not like to argue on security, stability and stuff, but the uptime for my XP is ~ 2 months and for years I haven't been infected w/ virus or anything. So even if Mac tops everything, I would still find no place to use that extra.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #19
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Darwin's the name of the kernel of the current MacOS.

What makes a PC a PC? Is it the software or the hardware? Macs sold now can dual boot to any OS that requires a x86 CPU. Macs sold now run on Intel Core microarchitecture.
- PC does not mean Windows...so your Microsoft statement not necessary applicable
Windows enjoys a more than 90% PC desktop market share. So how can you not equate PCs to Windows?
- Due to the less volume, hardware upgrades tend to be more expensive
Seeming Macs run on Intel Cores they enjoy the same inexpensive hardware upgrades any PC user can buy.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #20
saadie
Regular User

What will it take to enlighten the Mac User?
Blonde Joeks
Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #21
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
Darwin's the name of the kernel of the current MacOS.
That doesn't mean much if it means it's an evolution of it's own OS.

What makes a PC a PC? Is it the software or the hardware? Macs sold now can dual boot to any OS that requires a x86 CPU. Macs sold now run on Intel Core microarchitecture.
I suppose IBM defines the first PC, 8088-based machine. So shall we assume the x86 plaform as PC then? However, you also pointed out Macs does runs on Intel Xeon Proc these days....so umm...chipset? Would you call a x68 computer running SUSE a PC?

[quote="ellen feiss"]
PC does not mean Windows...so your Microsoft statement not necessary applicable
Windows enjoys a more than 90% PC desktop market share. So how can you not equate PCs to Windows?What do you call a "Mac" that dual boot into Windows given now the similaries in hardware? This also proves the non-replacable elements Windows has (of course this point swings both ways).

The fact is alot of Mac commercial these days stepping down on Windows users to uplift its superiority in a very narrow band of advantage is what pisses people off.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:39 AM   #22
black_magician
Regular User

My friends that are TRUE mac users don't care what happens in the PC market. It's a Windows thing. stuff just works in OSX and vista is just copying instead of coming out with useful features. :bah:
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
evoWalo
Regular User

I suppose IBM defines the first PC, 8088-based machine. So shall we assume the x86 plaform as PC then? However, you also pointed out Macs does runs on Intel Xeon Proc these days....so umm...chipset? Would you call a x68 computer running SUSE a PC?
I'll go with what is said on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer
What do you call a "Mac" that dual boot into Windows given now the similaries in hardware? This also proves the non-replacable elements Windows has (of course this point swings both ways).
By the very definition of the term "Personal Computer" encompasses the Mac (Mac is just a trademark) as well. For the public-at-large & the press when refering to a Windows PC just calls it plainly as a PC & a Mac PC as a Mac.

This is similar to the differences of hackers & crackers. People-in-the-know when referring to a malicious hacker calls them "crackers". Again for the public-at-large & the press when refering to a malicious hacker still calls them plainly as "hackers".

The fact is alot of Mac commercial these days stepping down on Windows users to uplift its superiority in a very narrow band of advantage is what pisses people off.
Ads in general are ment to grab your attention & keep it as long as possible. It appears it has accomplished it's job & has resulted in 50% of sold the Macs sold are being bought by first time Mac users. So long as the direct comparison is truthful & isn't as offensive as the Sony PSP ads then it shouldn't be a problem. God forbid Apple use scantly clad models to sell their products.

If you were given the job of marketing Macs to the public what would you have done? You must be able to sell as many Macs as the ads appears to have done & have a growth rate of more than 15% vs the industry standard of 6%.

I'd rather Apple make fun of Windows at Microsoft's expense than them suing them for copying. The ads are poking fun at the Windows platform & not the users. It's like how everyone bashes the GameCube for being a kiddie video console or the Wii not having HD output.

I'm sure someone will chime in on Vista will eventually have these features as well without contending with the poofstah Apple brand but the question is who will execute the best implementation. Apple in many case can claim to be the first usable instance of many tech & often times have the most elegant.

To give the devil his due, Microsoft has contributed to & originated a number of innovative ideas as well, but frequently fails to deliver them as usable technologies. When they do, their efforts are often overlooked. Of course, after 5-7 billion in R&D, we have a certain expectation of some new innovations getting delivered within a year. If you really want to pan something, you only need to look no further than Vista's shrinking list of planned features, and a barren half decade of regular disappointments.

PCs have the flexibility to have superior hardware configuration than a Mac but after everything's said and done at the end of the day it's still Windows.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
tuffguy
Regular User

It's impossible. It's like making a gay person straight.
tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote