Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
gis
Regular User

Default A word of warning to the UK people on JW

Hey guys.this is mainly a word of warning to my fellow brits on JW but i guess other members could also take note incase whoever is starting this decides to go onto other countrys.This is genuine what my Dad got sent as it was from the national archery association (incase you wondering yes my dad is an archery coach thats why he got sent to him,lol) anyway he passed it to me to warn anyone i know about it as one of the co-ordinators of this archery fell for it and what you see in this next part happened to him,also my uncle got the call 2nite but put down straight away

heres the e-mail

__________________________________________________ ___________

We have been advised of a telephone fraud currently in operation (this applies to home and/or work telephones - land lines and mobiles)

If you do receive one of these calls,upon answering the telephone,you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all expenses trip to an exotic location.You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details.If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute,Even if you disconnect immediately,it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes,costing around £100.The final part of the call involves you being asked to key your postcode and house number (which has other serious consequences. After a further 2 minutes you will receive a message informaing you that you are not one of the lucky winners.The total bill will be £260

Since the calls are originating from outside the UK,BT and other telephone companies are left powerless to act.The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to press 9 even safer is to hang up on any unsolicited "free offer" call.This appears to be a variation on a theme,warnings have been sent previously regarding calls made by individuals claiming to be engineers conducting a test on a line and asking for 9,0# and txt messages similar to the routine described above

DO NOT DIAL 9 (OR 9,0# OR 0,9# FOR ANYONE! BT has been contacted and confirmed the details as being true

There is another scam operating on mobile phones.
Amissed call comes up.The number is 0709 020 3840.The last four numbers may vary but certainly the first four numbers will remain the same.If you call this number back,you will be charged £50 per minute.People have complained about there phone bills,once they have realised the cost of the call but apparently this is completely legal.So beware,do not call back numbers beginning with 0709

__________________________________________________ ___________

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
Anonymous

well luckily I and everyone in our family immediately put the phone down on such calls..... maybe one day we will get a genuine one LOL...... these seem worrying though as there isn't anything much we can do about them...... got to be somewhere dodgy if these calls aren't illegal there
Old 12-11-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
gis
Regular User

yeah..who knows though,just thought id giv a warning incase just this once with these annoying calls you think "HAHA lets have some fun with this one and see were it goes" LOl big mistake of you did it with this one.

anyway just a heads up thats all

Old 12-11-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
Anonymous

Originally Posted by gis
yeah..who knows though,just thought id giv a warning incase just this once with these annoying calls you think "HAHA lets have some fun with this one and see were it goes" LOl big mistake of you did it with this one.

anyway just a heads up thats all
its appreciated..... i always like to know what te latest one is LOL...... not everyone I know is so cynical about all these..... like the ones who think that they will get a free holiday off those people in the street who target students LOL :roll: so many fall for it and £50 later and fobbed off with some lame drinks vouchers ( not very cheap ) they hear nothing more................ sooooo gullable.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
GT-R_R34
Regular User

here in california we used to have those type of calls before. lucky i have a block number unless you unblock your caller ID it won't go through.
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #6
crazidude
Regular User

£20 per minute... wth kinda premium line is that? Talk a few minutes on that and you'll be broke...
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
outrageusly

its about time some law was made to fuck over the asshats who start these damn BS schemes..

thanks for the heads up
Old 12-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

yeah I agree..

I would also like to know what kind of phone line that is...we get annoying calls like that all the time, we dont get charges like that though..they are just very annoying
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:15 AM   #9
Pimp Racer
Regular User

WOW thanks for the warning even though I dont live there I think I know a few family members there.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:24 AM   #10
TT
Regular User

Thanks for the info danny, but I wonder if somebody is desperate enough to really press the 9 thinking somebody would really want to give him such a present just because they are nice :roll:
Old 12-12-2004, 06:32 AM   #11
cho_888
Regular User

even though i dont live in the UK, thanks. We have heaps of stupid marketing calls and crap at our house!!!!!!!!!!! but i have learn't stuff to say,

if some calls asking if you would like a mobile phone, tell them you dont believe in phones. And if everything else fails say mum and dad are not home.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:51 AM   #12
gis
Regular User

Originally Posted by crazidude
£20 per minute... wth kinda premium line is that? Talk a few minutes on that and you'll be broke...
i think its just set up to rip you off,nuthing more,lol you press 9 and your screwed,liek it said,you hang up after pressing 9 and it will charge you for 5 minutes after,now that wouldnt be nice to see on your phonebill.lol

Old 12-12-2004, 07:53 AM   #13
Daggernite
Regular User

Cheers for letting us know. I just know my nan would press 9 aswell, so I better go and tell her bout this. These sad people should get put away.
Thx again Gis
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:35 AM   #14
No.1
Regular User

Cheers for this gis 8) I find it hard to believe that the Govt hasn't come up with a law against this... they have one for everything else

Bastards always call just after i get in in the evenings, but i we rarely get calls with a recorded message. If it's anyybody talking to you, we just leave the phone on the side, blocking their line for a few minutes
Old 12-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #15
OVERLORD_CHRIS
Regular User

I looks lik eyou caught on to my lil scam hahah, j/k.
No one has had that happen to them in hear right??, if so i feel sorry for you, people that do that sort of stuff should be beaten with a rubber hose!
OVERLORD_CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote