Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
sameerrao
Regular User

The problem is that there are a lot of tuners for Porsches and it is hard to figure out who is the best. Here in the US, we have RUF, Racer's Group, Rook to name a few.

Most car mags tend to focus on power outputs and speeds. They do not subject these cars to a long term tests to figure out the reliability of these cars. I remember reading a road test of a Rook tuned version of the Porsche 996 Turbo in R&T. From memory it faced some cold starting problems and clutch issues inside a day or so. So much for reliability.

I agree with lakatu wrt the relationship between Ruf and Road & Track. They are the ones that made me lust for the yellowbird and other cars back in the 80s.

R&T praised the new Ruf that is a take on the GT3 - but the cost difference from the GT3 is phenomenal.

I liked the Ruf approach back then when they focussed on lightening the car, making the suspension stiffer yet comfortable on the road, and getting more power from the engine. It was certainly a Porsche but more so.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
I’m curious now st-anger as to what you have heard. Are you able to discuss in greater detail the Ruf’s negatives? I know you might feel constrained because of your close ties and relationships working at PAG. I have heard of problems with their older 3.4L pistons but little else. More specifics if possible would be nice .
...again, THX a lot lakatu for a very detailed reply - as you know i´m not that much into tuning, sure i find it quite interesting, but as you pointed out 101% right: what should a tuner improve on a Porsche...???
so that´s why i never really cared about tuned Porsches, so i´m afraid i can´t tell you any details on this, and to be honest, if i knew something i definitely wouldn´t post it in here, i just posted my opinion, based on facts as a guy who´s into automotive engineering for quite some time, but i don´t want to say bad things about RUF, because as you pointed out Alois did quite a job back in the 80s for you guys over there...
so, basically i´m ok with any tuning, but it´s definitely nothing for me if it´s getting too extreme...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
lakatu
Regular User

Perfectly understandable st-anger .

If Ruf isn’t talented in any other area they are at least a great marketing company. Can’t even image how many new people have been exposed to the brand through the CTR :shock: and Fazination 8) (Ruf CTR driven by Stefan Roser on the Ring).

Porsche should take a page out of Ruf’s marketing book and make video of WR driving the CGT & the GT3 RS on the NS. I’m sure with his rally experience WR could drift those cars as well if not better then “Sideways Stefan” . If they did I would like to see two different runs for each car. One running the fastest lap possible and a second with fun for show drifting action. What do think the changes of that happening are st-anger ?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #19
X-ale
Regular User

Do you guys need a room
Old 08-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #20
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by X-ale
Do you guys need a room
lol, no i don´t think that i´ll give up my wife, but thx for the kind offer :x

...to answer your question, there is a video with WR in a GT3, it´s not to buy, it´s been shown as a presentation video in showrooms and at car shows, kinda like the SLR vid with Klaus Ludwig shown at all the motor shows at the SLR stand...

don´t know about a CGT ( or any other ) vid with WR - you know.....marketing.... :roll:
Porsche 911
Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #21
robruf
Regular User

I think that reason that RUF is so popular in North America is due to the video of Stefan Roser doing his sideways drifting around the NS. But in any test you will never hear of a RUF breaking down, unlike all of the American tuners on Corvettes, Vipers and the such, something always goes wrong with them.

I know a guy who know Alois personally, as this guy was a DOT inspector for all cars coming to Canada and he knows everyone, I don't have any pictures but Alois gave him a RUF for a couple of days fitted with the EKS clutch. He has a bad limp so this is easier on him. He couldn't believe how much better the RUF was than the factory Porsche, he said everything was just that much better on the RUF.

RUF does get their bodies from Porsche as they are just regular Carrera body shells and then RUF puts on the flared fenders by hand. They just to do that anyway. As well, in my opinion, RUF is a very classy and not showy car company such as Gemballa or Techart are. To top it all off, RUF have actual VIN numbers, how many other Porsche tuners or any other tuners have that. Yes, I love RUF and cannot wait to own one someday.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #22
lakatu
Regular User

Originally Posted by robruf
As well, in my opinion, RUF is a very classy and not showy car company such as Gemballa or Techart are. To top it all off, RUF have actual VIN numbers, how many other Porsche tuners or any other tuners have that.
Good point I personally am turned off by the other makes of tuners. I prefer Ruf's understated look. BTW does anybody who speaks German know how to pronounce Ruf. I have read it is pronounced "roof" but then I heard Derek Bell pronounce it "rough". Go figure tomato, tomahto :roll: .
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #23
yg60m
Regular User

I think that reason that RUF is so popular in North America is due to the video of Stefan Roser doing his sideways drifting around the NS. But in any test you will never hear of a RUF breaking down, unlike all of the American tuners on Corvettes, Vipers and the such, something always goes wrong with them.

I know a guy who know Alois personally, as this guy was a DOT inspector for all cars coming to Canada and he knows everyone, I don't have any pictures but Alois gave him a RUF for a couple of days fitted with the EKS clutch. He has a bad limp so this is easier on him. He couldn't believe how much better the RUF was than the factory Porsche, he said everything was just that much better on the RUF.

RUF does get their bodies from Porsche as they are just regular Carrera body shells and then RUF puts on the flared fenders by hand. They just to do that anyway. As well, in my opinion, RUF is a very classy and not showy car company such as Gemballa or Techart are. To top it all off, RUF have actual VIN numbers, how many other Porsche tuners or any other tuners have that. Yes, I love RUF and cannot wait to own one someday.
That's also the opinion of Paul Frere which has a very close relationship with PAG and tested RUFs on several occasions for high speed tests. He already said that they never broke while tested on more than 300 km/h.
RUF also don't concentrate on numbers and don't claim extremes power like some tuners and is finally quite discreet IMO (as is RS Tuning BTW ) , all of that made me think he was a good tuner but , of course, i am not an expert like st-anger or lakatu
yg60m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #24
st-anger
Regular User

As well, in my opinion, RUF is a very classy and not showy car company such as Gemballa or Techart are. To top it all off, RUF have actual VIN numbers, how many other Porsche tuners or any other tuners have that.
Good point I personally am turned off by the other makes of tuners. I prefer Ruf's understated look. BTW does anybody who speaks German know how to pronounce Ruf. I have read it is pronounced "roof" but then I heard Derek Bell pronounce it "rough". Go figure tomato, tomahto :roll: .
well, it´s kinda hard for a german speaking to explain a US guy how to say a german word, ´cause "Ruf" is a german name, just like "Röhrl" so it´s like [ruf] with a short "u" but not like you US guys say "u" it´s a german "u" ask someone who knows german
Porsche 911
Old 08-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #25
lakatu
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
well, it´s kinda hard for a german speaking to explain a US guy how to say a german word, ´cause "Ruf" is a german name, just like "Röhrl" so it´s like [ruf] with a short "u" but not like you US guys say "u" it´s a german "u" ask someone who knows german
Gotcha . Now if only my German relatives would come for a visit :roll: .
Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #26
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger

That's kinda confusing. . .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #27
tigerx
Regular User

simple answer? record a small wav file and post it somewhere
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #28
martin100
Regular User

^^^ It´s almost the same as if you would say the english "Roof", but with a German "R"... Dang it´s truly hard to explain to English speaking guys
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #29
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by martin100
^^^ It´s almost the same as if you would say the english "Roof", but with a German "R"... Dang it´s truly hard to explain to English speaking guys
ich meine is jetzt eine auslegungssache, aber "wir" sprechen "RUF" eher kurz, also nicht so mit zwei "oo" respektive "uu" von der betonung her, eher ein kuzes "u"...!???

ah...scheiß an...
Porsche 911
Old 08-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #30
crayzayjay
Regular User

A friend of mine is buying one of these, or another Ruf possibly. He wanted Ruf to make him a 997 Turbo but the cost was too high. Shame, as i think the 997 is much better looking than the 996...

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote