Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 08-09-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
pilone
Regular User

Default Ruf R Turbo

Hi guys!!!!
There are lots of Porsche tuners but Ruf For me is the best!!
That model reachs a top speed of 330 Km/h and only 3.8 seconds are necessary to reach 100 Km/h!
Can you tell me, if you know, the official site of Ruf ?
Please answer the topic!!
Now I hope you'll like that photo!!
[/img]
pilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
tigerx
Regular User

have you try google.com??? and yes RUF is by far the best porsche tuner. they main website dont' have much though lol. and shouldn't this be in porsche central?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
X-ale
Regular User

Originally Posted by tigerx
RUF is by far the best porsche tuner.
*BUZZ* Wrong answer, please try again (ask St-Anger).
Old 08-09-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
lakatu
Regular User

Here is the site for Ruf http://www.ruf-automobile.de/ . In the future I think that this post should have been made either in "Q&A Porsche discussion" section or if you were interested in sharing the photo inside "Multimedia". Thanks for sharing though . You might also be interested in cars made by RS Tuning. Some say they make a better engine than Ruf.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
tigerx
Regular User

X-ale that's IMO so you can't say i'm wrong.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
Here is the site for Ruf http://www.ruf-automobile.de/ . In the future I think that this post should have been made either in "Q&A Porsche discussion" section or if you were interested in sharing the photo inside "Multimedia". Thanks for sharing though . You might also be interested in cars made by RS Tuning. Some say they make a better engine than Ruf.
That's the st-anger opinion RS Tuning use Porsche competition pieces as well as custom stuffs.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

I think RUF is a little over priced if you ask me...
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
tigerx
Regular User

you get what you pay for, 215mph+ 0 to 60 in 3.3 sec.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #9
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

yeah, but you could get the same thing, as far as the engine is concerned..and with better parts, if you went with RS tuning...

where did you see that a RUF R Turbo goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds...b/c I'm pretty sure thats not right..
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
tigerx
Regular User

my bad it's 3.7 not 3.3
Old 08-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #11
Stikz
Regular User

didn't the yellowbird ctr do it in under 3.5?
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 PM   #12
tigerx
Regular User

not sure, but that car is just something else . it was the first TESTED 215mph road car.

the F40 was only "claimed" 200mph
Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #13
st-anger
Regular User

first, thx for posting Porsche related material pilone, BUT as mentioned b4, plz try to post in the right section, see details here:

:arrow: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=182252#182252
THX

to join the discussion a bit ( even if it should be moved ) here´s my opinion...

i know that there´re many fans from RUF here on the forum, for some maybe interesting, most of them´ll come from US…
That Mr.Ruf is a real enthusiast is undoubted, he is very much concerned about his customers and it´s quite common that customer and Alois get an amicable relationship…
Alois Ruf is especially well know in US and there #1 Porsche tuner, he almost gets all his business from over there, also including Asian and Arabic regions, here in germany or gernerally in west europe he´s probably on 3rd position and i´m sure only some will know him, so why´s Alois and his products so popular in US and not in his home country??? well, although he has the his principal office in germany, he´s all the time in US where he get´s his customers from there but more and more, as I said, from Arabic/Asian region…
all this is very much appreciated by the American customers and this message is spread all over the country and also to the regions mentioned above, ever talked to a Asian Porsche guy and asked what´s the main tuner there for Porsche…i´m sure answer´ll be RUF…
I think we have some members from that regions, would be nice if someone could post a comment on this…
here in germany, home of all the major Porsche tuners, it´s more or less a two men show, Gemballa and TechArt, Ruf coming in 3rd and as mentioned in previous posts, “my” favourite, RS-Tuning ( RS for “Reinhold Schmirler“ ) only 4th …
so, why´s that…???
I mean I can´t say that ppl have too less knowledge on Porsche tuning, 85% of the ppl can only say what the hear from the media, and media and marketing made the top three big…and IMO that´s it…
an example here as well, starting again with RUF, here they´re only popular because the US hype is getting over a bit, sure it´s a german tuner and Porsche is the germans beloved brand, and a tuned Porsche is “even better” so regardeless if they know very little about a tuner, it´s good, can hit 215mph, can do 0-60 in under 4 … reliability??? what´s that ???
Gemballa and TechArt – here it´s all about competition and performance, 500hp, 600hp, 700hp up to 850hp in Gemballas top product for the (...see ) merican market…
this tuning is IMO more that silly as i´ve posted somewhere b4 IMO tuning up to 550 to 600hp is absolutely the maximum, everything beyond this can´t be either good and/or true, ever tested a 700hp engine on a test rig??? I bet it won´t deliver all that power, this can´t be done only with some mods like exhaust, ECU, turbos and IC, such tuning is not only very very expensive it´ll be extremely expensive, nevertheless ppl buy it just for showing off, “i´ve a 700hp Cayenne ” yeah…..boohoooo m8….
i´ve good friends at 9ff and TechArt, and once had the chance to take a ride with Jan Fatthauer in a 704hp GT2, definitely and impressive car, 0-60 in something around 3.5 sec to 200kmh ( ~125mph ) just some seconds more, but when it comes down to reliability…well, that´s another topic…
who needs a 600+ hp car, who is able to drive 340kmh, where??? With what tyres??? Sure now there´re 360kmh road tyres, but are they just for fast driving or for track use too – probably not, and buying a 300k € car just for driving 300+ - ok, good luck, only place where you can do that is german autobahn…
so I don’t see any sense of such performance, after some laps on a track the owner will have to replace nearly the whole car due to wear…
but back to the Tuners, so TechArt and Gemballa both have records on the NS, both take part in competitions like “Tuner GP” – where´s RUF….???
Their only real “joker” had been their 215mph record – now beaten by TechArt and by far by 9ff… so hopefully they´ll face the competition in 2005 at Tuner GP…
to come back to RUF, they´re not officially supported by PAG, which means like normal customers he has to buy his parts from Porsche dealers and don´t get them from Weissach directly…
in the end I haven´t heared too much good things about RUF but definitely not only bad things, e.g. i´m definitely looking forward to his “R50” project, and here´s the answer to the “from where…?” question some might come up with…
Reinhold Schmirler, owner of RS-Tuning, worked for RUF years ago, and from him we know how things are running inside RUF. As you know we know RS quite good, again IMO the one and only Porsche tuner, supported by PAG, he officially supports racing teams mainly with engine tuning and anyone who´s looking for a “real” tuning for his Porsche engine definitely talks with Reinhold, he´s one of the few remaining serious tuners, not only fast business and that´s it…
just look at the results of the hardest endurance race – the 24h at the NS – when a Porsche ranks among the best, be sure the engine of the car is a RS tuned one…

so, don´t get me wrong, i´m not a critic of tuning and of RUF in general, but it should be done in a good an appropriate way, not only business, more technical focused when it comes down to reliability, and all the performance claims should be more transparent for the customers…but all this is just my opinion…
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #14
X-ale
Regular User

/\/\ AMEN
Old 08-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
lakatu
Regular User

Really interesting post st-anger . Car fans on this side of the pond aren’t exposed to Porsche tuners like Germans are. So it is nice to get that prospective .

I think that I can provide a little insight into why Ruf is so popular in America. I think more than anything it is a historical thing. Anyone who was a true “believer” in Porsche in the early 1980s wanted to own an air-cooled 911 . The ultimate 911, especially in that era of lower horsepower fuel efficient cars, was the turbo charged versions of the car. Back in the late 1970s the management at Porsche wanted to kill off the 911 and focus on developing newer more modern car designs like the 928 :x . Combined with that desire to move ahead with other models Porsche decided to discontinue the sale of the 911 Turbo (930) in the U.S. They claimed that the reasons were the cars inability to pass increasingly tougher U.S. car regulations, specifically smog. As a result, after 1979 the 911 Turbo was no longer available in the U.S. which was and still is Porsche’s most lucrative market. Alois saw the opportunity and increased his marketing and distribution system in the U.S. (as st-anger mentioned) and brought to the U.S. market a street legal smog certified version of the 930 when no one else did. As far as I know if you wanted a 930 you could either import a “black market” version from Europe and get it certified or buy a Ruf. The “black market” versions were known to have questionable reliability depending on which mechanic shop did the conversion. The choice was made easier because the Ruf came with 365 hp verses 300 hp in Europe from Porsche which fell to 250-60 range after attaching smog regulation equipment. Porsche solved the problem back in 1986 when it decided the 911 wasn’t going to die and their most lucrative market needed their most potent car and began selling the 911 Turbo again in the U.S.

One other factor has increased Ruf’s appeal here. R&T magazine developed a strong relationship with Ruf and use to go to Germany every couple of years in the 1980’s and do a top speed contest. AMG and Ruf were the cars most featured from tuners and Ruf usually won the contests. That was especially true in 1987 when the Ruf CTR “Yellow Bird” (211 mph) beat a impressive list of competitors including Ferrari’s 288 GTO (179 mph) and Porsches 959 (198 mph) by the way Koenig/RS had a car that broke after hitting 201 mph. I think the CTR “Yellow Bird”s performance elevated it to supercar status here in the U.S. and Paul Frere, R&T’s European editor highly endorsed Ruf.

So that is my opinion as to why Ruf is so popular in the U.S. St-anger I found what you said really interesting. Logically, it doesn’t make sense that turners could build a better car than Porsche . I mean who has more racing knowledge and R&D expenditures on 911 models than Porsche? Andial an “American” tuner of sorts. Actually they have a similar story as RS Tuning they were a mechanical repair shop that became evolved in building racing engines for 911 derivatives and gained recognition for their successful racing program. Porsche then designated them as the official repair shop for the 959. Anways Andial has a pretty interesting take on the horsepower relabilitiy issue that basically says the same things as st-anger did. If you are interested go to the FAQ section at http://www.andial.com

The only thing that makes logical sense when comparing a tuner to Porsche is that Porsche targets their cars to broader based customer and that tuners are able to focus on the wealthy enthusiast that is willing to make some trade offs and pay more to receive some performance benefits. Certainly, Porsche could put together a faster better performing car than the tuners if money and broad based appeal weren’t much of an issue. Back in the 1980s and early 1990s I think that this argument was stronger than it is today because of Porsche’s financial struggles. At the time, I think Porsche didn’t put out the best product that they could have just because they didn’t have the development budgets to do so. Reliability has always been a major issue with Porsche. So if they didn’t have the R&D budget to develop a new product right they felt it was best to stay with the current product that they knew worked well, IMO.

As a fan of 1980s model 911s I appreciate the effort of Ruf to build what Porsche couldn’t at the time :roll: . Personally, I was under the impression that Ruf built a quality product that was the equal as far as quality and build standards to Porsche but it sounds like that was wrong. Ruf makes a great deal of effort in marketing materials to emphasize their relationship with Porsche and they make it sound like they are tighter with Porsche than st-anger indicated. In fact listening to Ruf it sounds like they are a division of Porsche. Heck, they were the ones that offered to buy the rights to the 911 and continue production when Porsche was thinking of discontinuing the 911 model in the 1970s or at least that is how the legend goes. But I have heard st-anger allude several times now to problems with Ruf’s.

I’m curious now st-anger as to what you have heard. Are you able to discuss in greater detail the Ruf’s negatives? I know you might feel constrained because of your close ties and relationships working at PAG. I have heard of problems with their older 3.4L pistons but little else. More specifics if possible would be nice .