Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
BigBrother
Regular User

/win
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
CarlZ
Regular User

as you wish
Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #18
evoWalo
Regular User

You only tip if the service is impeccable. People shouldn't whine if they don't get tips. Heck they should be thankful their jobs haven't been outsourced to India.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
BigBrother
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWalo View Post
You only tip if the service is impeccable. People shouldn't whine if they don't get tips. Heck they should be thankful their jobs haven't been outsourced to India.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
pitfield
Regular User

I got some very rude service in America, I didn't tip on those occasions?

If the service is good, I will always drop a nice big tip.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
And some wonder why so many citizens have no jobs yet there's a waiting list for immigrant worker and training visas.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
philip
Regular User

I tip 15%, 20% if I know the waiter/waitress. When I was younger and more of a cheapscate I only tipped 10%. Most people who used to wait tables tip 20% minimum.

A rich friend always tips 25% minimum. His view is that in the scheme of things, it is a very small amount of money, that goes a very long way to having an enjoyable evening. He is remembered wherever he goes.

Tipping above 25% leads to legends in a restaurant, ("50 on 100", "100 on 200", "100 on 100")

Then there is "tipping with kindness". Where a customer is extra pleasant to the waiter, constantly complementing them on what a great job they are doing, but then stiffs them.

Some races in America generally tip less than others.

In Europe, I still don't know what to do or what is proper.

In America, the tip is so much a part of the waiters wage that the restaurant owner deducts withholding, social security and medicare on at least 15% of the waiter gross sales each day. IRS sets the rate that they must withhold. Some restaurants get a better deal from the IRS than others, leading to unhappiness among employees.

Ususally the waiter has a tip sharing arrangement with the bus help, hostess, manager and bartender. Many times the sharing arrangement is governed by the restaurant owner and automatically deducted from the waiters paycheck as a percentage of gross sales. Large chains have been sued by class actions by former waiters as the manager should be paid by the restaurant only, not by the poor waiters.

Thus if you tip only 10% on your meal, the poor waiter may actually loose money on your order.

I've never waited tables, so if any of this is wrong, please correct me.

Next installment, how waiters and bartenders get big tips at the expense of the restaurant owners.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by trinitygoth View Post
I'll bet you're an idiot.
So what about his comment would justify your conclusion? Does she look like the typical McCain, Paul, or Nader supporter to you??? Your best bet is the apathetic option. Otherwise, I think BigBrother's argument has a lot of cogency, especially given that she bothers to take the time to post a video about not tipping.

Anyway, if the service is generally good, I just leave about 15%. Since I'm pretty cheap to begin with, that's not a big tip. If I know them or somehow got great service, then I'll leave 20% or so. I don't eat out that much though, so leaving a larger tip isn't as big of a deal.

Last edited by 79TA; 08-26-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Yeah... She's pretty dumb. My tips are usually proportional to how good the service was, but it's never below 10%. That's just being cheap. Tipping's such a big part of the way society works that I'm surprised to see anyone refuses to tip.

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Ususally the waiter has a tip sharing arrangement with the bus help, hostess, manager and bartender. Many times the sharing arrangement is governed by the restaurant owner and automatically deducted from the waiters paycheck as a percentage of gross sales. Large chains have been sued by class actions by former waiters as the manager should be paid by the restaurant only, not by the poor waiters.
Yeah. I had a talk with a friend who was (is?) a waitres and she told me about sharing her tips with the greeters who sit customers at the tables. They have such monetary connections that they just have to work together well enough to get most tip possible, otherwise they "lose" a lot of money. It's just how it works, and it's, usually by default, a large portion of a waiter/waitress' salary. It applies to same with pizza delivery people, I believe.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #25
trinitygoth
Regular User

Phillip,
That sounds like a good summary of the occasionally complicated art of tipping in the US. Personally I'm a 20%'er as I used to own a restaurant and couldn't have survived without the tips my employees received. I'm always nice to my servers and can count on one hand the number of times I received poor service.
I'm not sure of the way the IRS accounts for tips. I know it used to be that direct withholding used to only apply to tips received via credit and the server was on the hook for the rest, but I think that may have now changed.
As far as the woman in the video, she is clearly an idiot and hopefully people will give her enough crap to "inspire" her to stop being a social parasite.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #26
trinitygoth
Regular User

As for BigBrother up there, how about we compare highlights from past posts:

Me - http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...7&postcount=66
(Your facts are indeed spot on. Yes Georgia attacked first violating a cease fire they had called themselves, and yes civilians and Russian soldiers were in all probability killed in that attack. However, S. Ossetia is considered sovereign Georgia by all the world but Russia and it has generally been accepted that sovereign states have the right and in some circumstance the obligation, to eliminate hostile active armed resistance within their borders. Now make no mistake, I think war is always a failure of leadership and diplomacy, but it does happen and given the circumstances I think this one was not totally unreasonable, albeit blunderous and unnecessary. As far as Russias motivation for their actions, I think the idea that this was in some way a reprimand for killing innocent civilians and soldiers and further protecting innocent civilians, is charitable at best. Clearly Russia was never a neutral party in this conflict and many of the previous skirmishes are said to have included Russian arms and in some cases Russian forces. It seems clear to me that Russia manipulated the circumstances to try and eliminate a strategic threat on their border. Not to mention, Russia doesn't have the best record in the "protecting innocent civilians" department. I think the label of aggressor in entirely valid here as any proportionate response was exceeded in the first 24 hours. I am glad that Russia has finally said they are stopping their offensive, but now the interesting questions begin. Will they stay? Will they promote further conflict within the interior "justifying" further action? Will the US respond by increasing arms sales to Georgia to "protect" from future violations of sovereignty? All to be decided, but at least the innocent civilians aren't dying quite so quickly.)

BigBrother - http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...37&postcount=1
(Ok, I'll admit it. I really want to watch this.(Fast & Furious trailer) I'll also admit, I liked the first one. The second one was meh and the 3rd one I watched because, well I started to like drifting. Too many near misses to continue doing drifting for me. Though I will occasionally take a u turn and peal out.)

Yeah you're a freakin' Einstein alright.

"One of the indictments of civilizations is that happiness and intelligence are so rarely found in the same person, so be careful not to pwn yourself"

Let me guess Chinese for lunch today.

So you are trying to indict all civilizations, from a fortune cookie? Anarchy is you're desired social system. Ahh the hits keep getting better.

In answer to your original ignorant and borderline racist comment, You bet your A$$ I'm an Obama supporter and if you aren't then the argument about you're idiocy is most elegantly put to rest. To suggest that the Republican party has any benevolent role to play in the continued existence of American representative democracy is to reveal a complete ignorance of history, economics, ethics and political reality. If this country fails to support the extraordinary leadership presented by Barak Obama and instead chooses the arrogant and nihilistic philosophy of McCain then our precious little experiment will likely find it's end and that would be an unbridled catastrophe.
I was once more open minded about the republican party; small government, balanced budgets and strong defense but the modern iteration of the Republican party has but one aim. To make money for wealthy parasites. Their racist, religo-facist, homophobic, ignorance celebrating "party platform" is really only cover for very wealthy people who make money in duplicitous ways to maintain and expand their wealth. What annoys me is that morons like yourself eat it up. FOX News broadcasts propaganda 24/7 about how the ACLU is the enemy and all democrats are morally bankrupt child eaters, and you believe it over what you see day to day in your own life. At least if you are worth ten or twenty million you have reason to be a McCain monkey, but you sell the sacrifices made for you by your ancestors cheaply and that's disgraceful.

As for what I drive, it's an S55. I'm guessing you drive a Kia. Bitter rivalry, the Hyundai vs. Kia one.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #27
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Oh jeez. This thread is ready for closure in 5, 4, 3, 2...
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
79TA
Regular User

So back to my question . . . do you accept that she is likely an Obama supporter as well?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #29
HeilSvenska
Regular User

^It's very much likely. It's just how it is. Numbers are numbers.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #30
trinitygoth
Regular User

79TA
Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
So what about his comment would justify your conclusion? Does she look like the typical McCain, Paul, or Nader supporter to you??? Your best bet is the apathetic option. Otherwise, I think BigBrother's argument has a lot of cogency, especially given that she bothers to take the time to post a video about not tipping.
Cogent argument? There is no argument. This is a ham-fisted attempt to indict all Obama supporters as arrogant social parasites. Oh and I guess Hyundai drivers too, but I think that has more to do with his Kia being in the shop and his humiliation in his auto purchase. Is she an Obama supporter? Is she a McCain supporter? I would be surprised if she is aware of her right to vote.
Closed Thread