Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
Mattk
Regular User

^Much better! At least we maintain an effective immigration policy, rather than the free-for-all that has permeated Europe.

We're not allowed to protect ourselves at all. A while back a man broke into a second floor flat to feed his drug habit and in the ensuing fight with the two occupants he fell out of the window to his death. Did they get medals? No, they were charged with murder!
I doubt the charges stuck unless they chucked the bloke out the window on purpose out of vengeance.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
I doubt the charges stuck unless they chucked the bloke out the window on purpose out of vengeance.
Why wouldn't the "charges stick"? The way I understand it, in the UK if those people had not been home in their flat, the drug addict could have claimed it as his home and just squatted there, leaving them homeless.

My sister has been living in the UK for about 4 years now, and she says she is no longer shocked or appalled by the bizarre erosion of the British society any more - she says its more of a dissappointment.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
pitfield
Regular User

Erosion? It's just multicultutalism, diversity and (perhaps over) acceptance.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #19
Mattk
Regular User

The way I understand it, in the UK if those people had not been home in their flat, the drug addict could have claimed it as his home and just squatted there, leaving them homeless.
Need 12 years to pass (JA Pye (Oxford) v Graham) as you can reclaim from a disseissor within the limitations period.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
Hahaha.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Need 12 years to pass (JA Pye (Oxford) v Graham) as you can reclaim from a disseissor within the limitations period.
The very idea you have to defend YOUR property from squatters is the ulitmate insult to property ownership or occupation - period.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #22
MotorWorld
Administrator

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
really?

I could of sworn it was the liberal tree hugging lentilist green lesbian hippies who had caused it to become like this >

Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Over here if you are lazy, feckless, immoral, criminal, an illigal immigrant, a terrorist or bad for this country in any way you have 'rights'. If you are a car owning, law abiding, tax paying, hard working benefit to society you only have 'responsibilities', and can expect to get taxed to hell at every possible turn by the imbeciles calling themselves the government, so that they can pay for little johhny who robbed / raped / murdered to have a free holiday to disneyland and a plasma TV
MotorWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #23
MotorWorld
Administrator

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Is it true the UK doesn't have a football (soccer) team at the Olympics?
back to original question yes its true, because

at the olympics its "Great Britain" , which encompasses England, Wales, Scotland

but in the football World Cup England, Wales, Scotland all have seperate teams, and they think by having a Great Britain football team at the Olympics then they would be forced to do the same for the World Cup

stupid but true
MotorWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #24
Mattk
Regular User

The very idea you have to defend YOUR property from squatters is the ulitmate insult to property ownership or occupation - period.
Actually, adverse possession encourages productive use of land. In any case, if you are in the right, the remedy of self-help is avaliable, so you can drag them out yourself, with reasonable force, obviously.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Actually, adverse possession encourages productive use of land. In any case, if you are in the right, the remedy of self-help is avaliable, so you can drag them out yourself, with reasonable force, obviously.
No it does not encourage the "productive use of land".

It simply encourages the lazy and criminal to take over empty housing.

You might have to "occupy" the house for 12 years to "take over the deed" but you can simply walk up to ANY empty dwelling and move in. What a concept.. free housing without having to work a day in your life? ANd then you can go get the electricity and gas turned on - and you are protected by the very laws that do not protect the property owners.

It is then an UPHILL and TIME CONSUMING battle fo rthe RIGHTFUL OWNER to evict the squatter.

This is the reality of such stupid legislation.

If I own a property and choose to leave it vacant, then why shoudl I NOT be able to with MY PROPERTY as I please?

You are still young and gullible matt, and still green and idealistic, but one day after you become a wealthy barrister/attorney/lawyer and you own substantial assets and have a large income, you will suddenly become aware of the threats to YOUR assets and change your tune

Oh to be so young and inncocent again

In the meantime, here is some light reading to better arm you with knowledge of your squatters rights.

http://www.urban75.com/Action/squat.html
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #26
Alelanza
Regular User

"The owners are supposed to show that they have a right to the place and you don’t, and there are various ways of claiming that they haven’t proved it, haven’t gone through the procedures properly etc. "

LOL! madness!!

" Don’t tell them you’re squatting as they are not obliged to supply you and are increasingly reluctant to do so. Phone ASS for more information if you have problems. "

No shit!
Is this for real? i mean, they are called ASS.....
Certain bits of Trainspotting now make a lot more sense. This is 40% cool, 50% mad and 10% scary

Where i live, you basically can kill anyone inside your premises and claim he/she was trespassing and unless there is proof against you, you will walk free.
Not long ago an inmigrant (not that that should matter) jumped a fence into a car dealership at night, a couple rottweilers grabbed a hold of him and local police couldn't do anything harmful to the dogs as that would have been damage against private property. They tried to help him w/o harming the dogs, needless to say he didn't make it. Mind you, local police only have guns, no fancy taser or the like.
Alelanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

^^ crazy isnt it?

The law actually encourages lazy, layabout, criminal junkies to seek out free digs rather than try make a living
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #28
philip
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
I'm just curious as to why you would want to ask such questions.. To me and only me it sounds like your taking the micky out of the UK.
No offense intended. I just finished a non fiction book that takes place in England, I was just making sure, I wasn't being lied to.

Next question, do the police need a warrant issued by a judge showing probably cause, to enter and search you home. Or can they simply present themselves at your door and search you house?

This involves Mike Jaggar being arrested in the '60's for drug possession. Apparently according to the book an aggressive Police officer made a name for himself by searching famous peoples homes looking for (and finding) drugs (primarily grass).

The book made you feel he did not have a warrant. He just simply found out the addresses of Rockers and showed up and searched their homes without any real probably cause.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #29
F250
Regular User

Wow! A story with Mike Jagger and probably cause!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #30
Mattk
Regular User

RC, I agree with your sentiments regarding squatters, a practice which I think is disgusting, but the law stems from old traditions. Back in simpler times, people did not own lots of bits of land. If they did, they probably didn't care about the bits squatters were on. If you left your land vacant and didn't use it, that's unproductive. If someone lives there are maintains the property for you, that's considered healthy (again, per Pye). If you spent 12 years not even bothering to even find out about the condition of your land, let alone make productive use of it, then it would seem you don't want it. If you didn't bother to secure the premises, then that is just dumb.

Also, most squatters leave if they are asked to. That website is a bit dumb. It says there are loads of places to squat, yet tries to put squatters through lots of trouble so they can stay. If an owner rocks up with his certificate of title and a couple of sheriff's constables, I don't think a lot of squatters would

"The owners are supposed to show that they have a right to the place and you don’t, and there are various ways of claiming that they haven’t proved it, haven’t gone through the procedures properly etc.
"
Possession gives title against all the world defeasible only by those who have better title. If you own the place, you are untouchable, but you still have to prove you own it, which is pretty easy.

Case law in the UK tends to be softer than in most other countries. For instance, it is easier to defend charges using drunkedness as a defence. Which is silly. No wonder there are so many football hooligans there.

Next question, do the police need a warrant issued by a judge showing probably cause, to enter and search you home. Or can they simply present themselves at your door and search you house?
Policemen cannot enter private property without a warrant unless you let them in, in which case you are either dumb or innocent, and therefore either deserve to go down or have nothing to worry about. The only exception is if they reasonably believe that a crime is taking place or about to take place on your property or they need to cross your property to stop a crime happening.

Last edited by Mattk; 08-23-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Mattk is offline   Reply With Quote