Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
FXX06
Regular User

Default Question about the Enzo

Hey
Im kinda new here so hope its ok to post this here. I didnt wanna bring this up in previous topics because most of them seem kinda touchy.
I noticed alot of the Enzo wrecks have shown the car split in half and alot of people seem to think this is somthing thats ment to happen. I Just wanna find out from somone who can confirm if this was a design flaw or if its really made to split up. Please dont reply if your just gonna talk out your ass..Id really like to find out.
FXX06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

the directional forces have a lot to do with specific regidity of a given area.

crashes (not including fender benders/destroyers)
1. Houston, backed into a tree, fire
2. Milan Italy, airborn, sign, ripped in half in the cabin, RIIP
3. Malabu, airborn, telephone pole, split in 1/2 behind the cabin
4. Richard Loosey, 190 mph airborn, flips, disintigrated chassis, but otherwise together
5. Monterey? Enzo crash below 60 mph, fire, and RIIP in one piece
6. Nice France, 60mph -100 mph, fire, in one piece before wreaker truck ( look on ferrari chat on page 5 or 6) not to mention a wet day... perhaps in Race mode?

design flaw?
keep in mind, the MC12 race car is the exact same chassis, just with less ammenties towared comfort those cars are just as safe. It is safe to say driver error is the case with each crash.... although, who knows what happened in the crash in Monterey.
on PHC, stephan ericson
in the 2 cases where the Enzo split in 1/2 during the crash, concider the moment of inertia. when a pole is hit behind the cockpit, it is logical to see it would separate behind iit, and leave the passenger compartement together, particularly with the specific regididty of it reliant on itsel, rather then the semi-steel tubes used behind it alongside the monicoque.

in Milan, the car appears to have hit the sign, it it mid cockpit at 150ish mph, even the specific strenght of the cockpit couldn't save it, and ultimpately , the driver died

in Nice, France, the car was in one piece until after the fire...
Old 12-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #3
FXX06
Regular User

Well said.

I love the car and for that matter the MC12. And to be very honest I only asked because so many people say its ment to split...and to me it just seems a little off.
I should have added have we seen the FXX (yeh I know its not street legal) or one of the MC12's split the same way?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by FXX06
I should have added have we seen the FXX (yeh I know its not street legal) or one of the MC12's split the same way?
Not to my knowledge.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Was the Losee accident that high of a speed? I heard through the grapevine that seciotn was bad enough to cause havoc at 150.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
RAMMIUS
Regular User

And to be very honest I only asked because so many people say its ment to split...and to me it just seems a little off.
It seems a little wrong to me that you talk shit.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...0115_001.shtml

The chassis is produced by the same company that makes the chassis for Enzo and Veyron.
Now be gentle and STFU moron.

MY NAME IS RAMMIUS I SUCK GIGANTIC COCK
Old 12-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
Not to my knowledge.
Not yet no :x
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
fsandys
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Originally Posted by 666fast
Not to my knowledge.
Noy yet no :x
Yeh, I'll be first on the list to hunt down the first guy who smashes an FXX! :x :snipersmile:
fsandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
FXX06
Regular User

Who said I was talking shit? I love this car so bite me...
Back to the Question at hand....
Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
fsandys
Regular User

Lol, maybe he's fed up of the same discussion over and over again? :roll:
Old 12-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Was the Losee accident that high of a speed? I heard through the grapevine that seciotn was bad enough to cause havoc at 150.
apperently, Richard was going just a couple mph short of 200 when he realised he had not passed the poor section of road, which other cars slowed to 150 mph, and still felt unstable. I believe he hit the brakes, and drove over the poor section of road, and lost it (ie, got airborn) at about 170-175 mph, rolling somehting like 7 times before coming to a rest.

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS
And to be very honest I only asked because so many people say its ment to split...and to me it just seems a little off.
It seems a little wrong to me that you talk shit.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...0115_001.shtml

The chassis is produced by the same company that makes the chassis for Enzo and Veyron.
Now be gentle and STFU moron.
Rammius, it is you who talk shit.

this JWer asked a legitimate question; I answered it with a legitimate answer; so why dont you just STFU
Old 12-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
graywolf624
Regular User

Yes it is designed as such.
From a materials perspective carbon fiber is chosen as a race car technology not only for its light weight. It also is a great disapator of energy. It is made to disintegrate/shatter on impact absorbing the energy in somewhat of a similar manner to crumple zone. Meanwhile the actual passenger compartment is designed so as to be reinforced to not collapse thus protecting the occupant. Thus you saw a great example in the case of the accident with the guy from tiger with the stolen car. A hit at in excess of 100 mph.. Everything else disintegrates absorbing the hit, but the structure of the passenger compartment is intact. That is the primary goal of race car safety design. To protect the passenger compartment. Everything else is replaceable. There was an interesting video on the same phenomenon with regards to f1 cars and drivers legs a few years ago. I don't remember the title.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #13
RAMMIUS
Regular User

this JWer asked a legitimate question; I answered it with a legitimate answer; so why dont you just STFU
Isaac you ordinary bullshitter, taking in consideration what kind of crap you talk about Ferrari`s on Fchat, I suggest you go and shoot yourself fucking moron.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Yes it is designed as such.
From a materials perspective carbon fiber is chosen as a race car technology not only for its light weight. It also is a great disapator of energy. It is made to disintegrate/shatter on impact absorbing the energy in somewhat of a similar manner to crumple zone. Meanwhile the actual passenger compartment is designed so as to be reinforced to not collapse thus protecting the occupant. Thus you saw a great example in the case of the accident with the guy from tiger with the stolen car. A hit at in excess of 100 mph.. Everything else disintegrates absorbing the hit, but the structure of the passenger compartment is intact. That is the primary goal of race car safety design. To protect the passenger compartment. Everything else is replaceable. There was an interesting video on the same phenomenon with regards to f1 cars and drivers legs a few years ago. I don't remember the title.
Exactly. . .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 AM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS

Isaac you ordinary bullshitter, taking in consideration what kind of crap you talk about Ferrari`s on Fchat, I suggest you go and shoot yourself fucking moron.
Wow - even I that are quick to pounce on people am shocked at the way you have been reacting lately... any particular reason you are being such an arsehole and prick in your responses?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote