Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Calling Houstonian MWers.....

...if you have want to thrash your car on track in the relatively "controlled" atmosphere of the racetrack, but without the constraints of a regular HPDE event, the upcoming "Test and Tune" day at MSR Houston in Angleton may be just the thing the doctor ordered.

I know the traditional HPDE has its place, and is an important tool in getting highspeed track time, but for me it is not the best environment to well, test and tune your car - that's why I enjoy these SCCA Race Weekend Friday Test n Tune sessions.

So, if you have the desire to circulate the nice technical/relatively highspeed MSR Houston circuit in a true open track environment that allows for unlimited pit exits and entrances over the day as you test and tune your car, read on:

What:
Friday pre-SCCA Raceweekend open track practice Test and Tune.

Where:
MSR Houston, Angleton.

1 Performance Drive
Angleton, TX 77515
281-369-0677

When:
Friday August 22 2008; 8am - 5:00pm

Cost:
$250

**To be clear I am not affiliated with the organisors and am just a participant - so for payment details and other specific requirements please contact MSR Houston at 281-369-0677 -- http://www.msrhouston.com/ **

MW Attendance
This may be a chance for us to have a little MW get together and have a go on track at the same time.

Anyway, just thought I would post this up incase any locals felt like showing up. (Louisianna is "local" to Houstonas well )

Last edited by RC45; 07-24-2008 at 02:49 PM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

Hopefully a few of the Houston contingent are interested... would love to see some photos/ video of it a bit more then your typical rigid in-car stuff
Old 07-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
philip
Regular User

Do you have to tune your car between laps or will changing the air pressure be enough? $250 per car or per driver?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Do you have to tune your car between laps or will changing the air pressure be enough? $250 per car or per driver?
Its $250 per driver as far as I know - I have driver multiple cars before (they never objected, bu tthen they might not have known *oops*).

I guess they call it "test n tune" as it is an open track situation for the race teams (and us civilians that show up) to drive then pit if you want and make change and then head out at your own pace, rather than the specified run-groups of a true track day.

The part that I enjoy is that if you do head out and find your 23psi cold front pressures (as I did one time) feel terrible, just pit next go round and make your change - wihtout the concern of burning up your precious session lap time.

And I enjoy the tinkering aspect. Sometimes I would just circulate for 10 laps with the car as is. It gives a chance to get baseline then check for results (positive or negative) of changes.

And then the other bonus, is being allowed to time your laps, something HPDE's and other track days seem to frown on.

It's also great fun to circulate with real race cars out there - lets you realise that even a fast street car is no race car hehe.

Paul
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
mogwai
Regular User

damn that sounds like fun! I even have family (in-laws) in the Angelton area too...but alas, not to be - annual backwoods/backpacking trip this coming weekend in the Boundry Waters of Northern MN.

Keep me posted on future events - sounds like this would be fun!

mogwai
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote