Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Forza 2 December Car Pack & Road America Vid

HD
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28615.html

The graphics are getting a bit old-looking, but I think this is a pretty fun game. It's sure more fun that GT4 or maybe even GT5.

Here's some cars released in the pack with Road America (which have to be bought separately. $6.25 total.

1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am SD-455
1980 Renault 5 Turbo
1983 Audi Sport Quattro
1991 BMW M3 E30
1998 Porsche 911 GT1 Evo Street
2006 Ferrari FXX
2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
2007 Renault Clio RenaultSport 197
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
2008 Audi R8
2008 Koenigsegg CCGT
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
fabro_s
Regular User

They chose the ugliest rims for the Audi R8, you should see it, it makes the car look totally shit.....

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Yeah. That's a shame.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
r2r
Regular User

Honestly, the game visually was a big disappointment, and the driving feel was nothing special.

However the car update is nice.
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
acmarttin
Regular User

Road America is certainly nice. I have a love affair with that track as I grew up only 15 minutes away from it.

Many good memories of Champ Car (Then CART) races and ALMS endurance events. I always loved the June Sprints too to see the classic car events.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Yeah - the game is still mediocre, fun ,but mediocre... with the worst replay cameras of any driving game evaaahh.

Got the download content as it was only another $7 or so

So M$ got my money, but the game is still just a "tension release" at best.

I have to wonder if some of the so-called "driving familiar" developers have actually ever driven a car with sticky tyres - I mean Kuhmo V700's are like Velcro - and even 300 yards into a session it is very hard to simply spin them up - but Forza will have you believe they are just balls of jelly

And yes, RA is a great addition.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
redbaron
Regular User

It is always nice to see the E30 M3 and Sport Quattro in a game, because they are not as common as for instance a Skyline. It does however not get me running to the store and buy an Xbox360 and Forza 2.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
T-Bird
Regular User

It'll be nice to have some new cars if I ever take a break from Call Of Duty 4
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
bmagni
Regular User

the game is fun i hadn't played it in some months but its very fun, it might not be the most real, or even real, but its great!
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
LEXION
Regular User

Is this game only for xBox?

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
vexor
Regular User

^^ yep

CCGT

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
adamk24
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I have to wonder if some of the so-called "driving familiar" developers have actually ever driven a car with sticky tyres - I mean Kuhmo V700's are like Velcro - and even 300 yards into a session it is very hard to simply spin them up - but Forza will have you believe they are just balls of jelly
I think if you tried a real car and an identical version of the same car in Forza, you'd find that Forza gives cars too much tire grip.

Feeling the G's in real life vs driving a car on a screen are very different things.
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by adamk24 View Post
I think if you tried a real car and an identical version of the same car in Forza, you'd find that Forza gives cars too much tire grip.

Feeling the G's in real life vs driving a car on a screen are very different things.
Actually, I have tried some real cars on the racetrack and identical versions of the same cars in Forza (and a couple other games), and (in my opinion) they have too little grip when configured with similar tyres

Last edited by RC45; 12-12-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
adamk24
Regular User

Without going far indepth, racing games that are modeled as accurately as possible feel like the cars are skating on ice, even more so when using an analog controller (rather than a wheel).

Games like forza and GT use scalers of tire grip like 1.2-1.4 times actual grip. It's not the most realistic thing in the world, but it makes the game more fun and meets peoples 'expectations' of grip more realistically.

I'm not looking for an arguement, just stating that its interesting that even with this increase in actual grip, people still descripe the tires as being to slippery.
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Without going far indepth, racing games that are modeled as accurately as possible feel like the cars are skating on ice, even more so when using an analog controller (rather than a wheel).
Why would you assume I wasnt using a wheel?

Games like forza and GT use scalers of tire grip like 1.2-1.4 times actual grip. It's not the most realistic thing in the world, but it makes the game more fun and meets peoples 'expectations' of grip more realistically.
Doesnt matter what "scaling" they use, they ar enot modelling very acurately the co-efficent of grip between the track surface and the tyre anyway.

I'm not looking for an arguement, just stating that its interesting that even with this increase in actual grip, people still descripe the tires as being to slippery.
If youweren't looking for an argument why would yousay something like "try actual real life and game cars out"?

I have done so for a number of cars (Corvette C5 Coupe, C5 Z06, C6 Z06, Ruf RT12, CTR, Exige, Elise, Caterham, M3, Mustangs etc) in a number of games and it doesnt matter what the developers say about how they "model" the grip - they have it wrong.

The fact is, in real life, with a warm DOT slick tyre you can violently floor a 660bhp V8 through 2, 3 and into 4th and barely induce wheelspin - yet in many, if not all games you will end up doing 130mph rolling bunouts from such an excercise.

In real life you would need to hammer the gas from a stand still and spin up the tyres on purpose to induce that kind of behaviour - Unless you are using street tyres (which has been my experience).

I am sorry - but I have to ask, what is your basis for your opinion? Have you actually done similar excercises? Are you a game developer with track time?

I am just wondering where your authoratative opinion comes from - real life testing and experience, or just cruising the interwebs?

I am all ears - please surprise me and say you have real world experience - that would be a refreshing change of the daily avalanches of Intardweb drivel we normally have to wade through from so many "keyboard" experts.

(fingers crossed this is a real live one)

Last edited by RC45; 12-13-2007 at 03:32 PM.