Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 01-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
jaybv6
Regular User

Default My Ride - Vauxhall Calibra V6

I drive a Vauxhall Calibra 2.5 litre V6. As standard they push out 168bhp but mine is currently pushing 194bhp which is good enough to push it to 160mph. I like the lines and she goes well but she is being sold very soon to buy something a bit more family orientated

I know it's not as flash as other people's rides but it goes quite well and is fully loaded. Hope you like it.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
jon_s
Regular User

Dude, that is sweet, you have your engine bay sorted!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I like it. Very clean looking car. Just drop a turbo in it and your set
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
jaybv6
Regular User

Thanks for the comments guys.

I just got bored with the engine bay and after making my induction kit it needed to stand out a bit. Anyone guess where the tin on the left hand side came from?

Brembo - your're right about the front, it does understeer a bit more than usual but if you lift of you can bring it back in line. The front is a standard phase 2 calibra one although since that photo was taken I have modified the towing eye cover into an air duct for the "Home made" induction kit. I think Vauxhall should have made the V6 with 4x4 and twin turbos, that would have been sweet.

SFD - that would be cool apart from the V6 block is too weak to take a turbo, especially if going over 300bhp.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
gis
Regular User

nice ride,the calibra's are cool,especially the V6,they sound pretty sweet with a sport exhaust on them,for them to be quick,the V6 is the one to go for IMO.

welcome to the site aswell,good to see another brit here

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
Fleischmann
Regular User

I was just about to ask you what car is on the pic under your nick, after reading one of your posts. Well, now I know. Yep that sure is an oldschool ride. A 198 bhp Vauxhall Calibra...is 160mph an assumed top speed or is that just your record ??
Old 01-02-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
gis
Regular User

i would think its capable of 160 now it has 194hp,the stock V6 calibra is capable of between 145-150mph

sorry for answering that jayvb6

Old 01-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #8
jaybv6
Regular User

No problem gis . I see there are quite a few people from the UK around here.

Fleischmann - 160mph is an pretty accurate estimate as the clocks go to 160mph (digital calibrated speedo), I have had the needle past that and with about 100rpm to go before the limiter***. With the gearing in 5th the car is capable of 162.4 mph if it has the power to push it that far. The gearing is really strange as 2nd gear maxes out at 75mph, 3rd at 112mph, 4th at 141mph and then 5th at 162.4mph. The car seems to wind up quite quickly and I estimate a 0-60 time of around 6.7 seconds. The standard is 7.2 seconds. I managed a 1/4 time of 16.3 with a terminal velocity of 85mph but that's on one of the hottests days of the year and with me weighing in at 115kg (I am a pretty well built guy ).

Brembo - Twin turbo is a problem as the rear exhaust manifold is tight as a gnat's ass and there is only a couple of inches between it and the bulkhead. Saab use the same engine and only use a low comperssion blower on the front exhaust manifold.

*** - all these tests have been done on a private road and not on the public highway
Old 01-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #9
jaybv6
Regular User

I have just uploaded a video clip of my 16.3 quater mile run at Santa Pod. Check it out and see what you think. I will leave it hosted for a week before removing it.

http://www.jason.burgess.btinternet....v6-quarter.mpg
Old 01-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #10
gis
Regular User

cool little clip,as i thought it sounds pretty good.u got any other vids of your car,like your top speed run,lol

Old 01-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #11
jaybv6
Regular User

gis - certainly not. I have got some of it on the Rolling road though. Give me 2 minutes and I will upload a clip.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
gis
Regular User

cool,of course u dont have a top speed run video, it never happened did it, lol

Old 01-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #13
jaybv6
Regular User

gis -

Right I have searched all three of my pc's and the HDD that had the video clip of my rr run dided 2 months ago and I have not been able to retrieve the data (that is until I learn how to get it all back). I have uploaded this clip but it does not show the soound of my engine off aswell.

http://www.jason.burgess.btinternet..../rr-run-v6.mpg
Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #14
gis
Regular User

you could hear that pretty good IMO,very nice sound.can i ask what mods u have done to squeeze the extra 30+hp out

Old 01-02-2004, 09:00 PM   #15
jaybv6
Regular User

gis - strange really as before I started playing with the engine it was pushing 175bhp as standard 8) . That's 7bhp up on the book figure (168bhp). One thing I noticed is that my engine seems alot stronger than any other V6 I have seen.

To start with I remove the complete inlet tract including the throttle body, Traction control motor and inlet manifold. I completely removed all traces of dirt, oil and carbon deposits and polished the surfaces up. I then removed the OE induction system. I made my own cold air induction kit by doing the following
1 - turning the towing cover into an air vent
2 - fitting a K&N 57i induction kit
3 - shielded the K&N from the hot air by housing it inside a Maxwell House Coffee tin and wrapping it in carbon fibre.
4 - fitting a cold air feed from the towing eye vent to the K&N

This is the towing eye vent I made

I also give the car regular 3k oil, oil filter, plugs and fuel filter change as well as cleaning up of the throttle body, Traction control motor and inlet manifold.

To benefit any work done I reset the ECU and force it into adaptive learning mode. I then drive the car as normal (i.e. like a nutter) and the ECU learns to slightly over fuel the car. It runs on Super Unleaded with octane boosters when necessary.

It seems a bit unreal that the car has run 194 bhp with very little work but I have had it tested on 3 seperate rolling roads and compared results and they all match up. I have got higher bhp results than another Calibra V6 running K&N induction, exhaust and Uni-chip on the same rolling road, same day. Bizarre but true .