Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: BMW E36 M3
subzero 16 17.39%
cool 47 51.09%
uncool 20 21.74%
seriously uncool 9 9.78%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #46
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
the car was brilliant, yes.

but US spec was quite different then the eurospec; which is what i am basing my argument on... something i didnt know was eurospec was up to 321 hp...
US spec never made it past 240hp (something you didn't know) in 2000, there was no M cars.

so, now that you see my argument is solid as a rock; i rest my case (when comparing only US spec cars)

yes, its more powerful, and i dont doubt faster, and a better handler then the RX8 in my sig...

guess what, i would rather have the E36 M3 then the RX8; as im sure it would offer more driving pleasure. the mazda in my sig is there because it is a recent sighting; and a good picture... nothing to do with liking it more or less then a BMW E36 M3. so your argument against mine is a loaded one; ultimately irrelevant.
I knew the US-spec M3 had 240hp, why do you think I mentioned the spec of the car in my reply? However the performance was still up to par, and definately not lacking in comparison to the E46 M3. And that is what you claimed. "It felt slow". It's a 5.5 seconds 0-60 car (US-spec). How the fuck does that feel slow (unless you drive Ferrari's for daily commuting).
Your argument suck once again.

But nevertheless, when we discuss the car, at least do it on its merits, not because of some US-regulation bullshit. The car has 286hp at introduction, and 321hp at the end.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #47
nthfinity
Regular User

But nevertheless, when we discuss the car, at least do it on its merits, not because of some US-regulation bullshit. The car has 286hp at introduction, and 321hp at the end.
once again; that is the car you got... not the car we recieved; and to me, that becomes totally irrelevant.... those are its merrits here

if i want a 5.5 second -100kph car, i may as well get a 5 speed mustang GT for 10+k cheaper. (oh, now you are going to go on about its handling... blah blah; til you actually drive one; they really aren't as bad as so many europeans think they have to be).

what do people basically say about the 99 stang GT? its basically slow.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #48
LotusGT1
Regular User

Car and Driver rated the M3 the best handling car in America, ahead of the Ferrari 355, Porsche 911, Boxster, Corvette, NSX, Supra and others. It has a 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and you bullshit how a Mustang GT is just as fast straightline? And how a Mustang compares in handling?

5.5 seconds for 0-60mph is faster than the 350Z, RX-8 and a Boxster for example, it smashed its competiton (C43 AMG, S4) and you call it a slow car....

You're an idiot.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #49
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Car and Driver rated the M3 the best handling car in America, ahead of the Ferrari 355, Porsche 911, Boxster, Corvette, NSX, Supra and others. It has a 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and you bullshit how a Mustang GT is just as fast straightline? And how a Mustang compares in handling?

5.5 seconds for 0-60mph is faster than the 350Z, RX-8 and a Boxster for example, it smashed its competiton (C43 AMG, S4) and you call it a slow car....

You're an idiot.
For me, I am not that worry about the Car and Driver review. More so that during the 90s no car in the same class came close to its performance level. The E36's entire package was put together very well even in it's 240hp form.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #50
LotusGT1
Regular User

I can understand, your car is cool
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 PM   #51
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1

You're an idiot.
so now you are going to insite personal attacks?

first off; you have no idea how many american cars do.

i am taking hard-line facts about these cars, and comparing them against cars i would alternatively consider; and basing my opinion on how it keeps its 'cool' in my opinion.

you, sir are an idiot for even trying to pry my rock solid case of facts, and you have no chance to change my opinions when the facts haven't been repealed.

you, seem to be continuing on a slippery slope; as well as strawman areguemnts? there is nothing more to argue here with this.

the car is dated in its looks to me (infallable opinon) and is slow (facts when comparing similarly priced sports cars, or cheaper sports cars)
it handles great; i never said it didn't; ask me if i would feel more confident in a Corvette, or this M3... i'd pick the vette each time (based on my own driving experiences) again, infallable.

there is absolutely nothing to rip appart; i've learned something about the eurospec E36; and you have learned that you dont think that you could be wrong that my opinion is based on facts.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:47 PM   #52
ARMAN
Regular User

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #53
ZfrkS62
Regular User

is slow (facts when comparing similarly priced sports cars, or cheaper sports cars)
Slow is a quite relative term. Pit the Mustang GT against a same year M3 and look at the power numbers, then take into account the power/weight and also realize the M3 is a mere 3L I6 as compared to the GT's 5L V8. You get what you pay for in terms of efficiency and potency. US or Euro spec, i don't care, hell run both of them against the Mustang in that comparison.

I don't really blame your choice in Vette vs M3 though. The Vette is much lower, lighter and has a bigger power/weight.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #54
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
so now you are going to insite personal attacks?

first off; you have no idea how many american cars do.

i am taking hard-line facts about these cars, and comparing them against cars i would alternatively consider; and basing my opinion on how it keeps its 'cool' in my opinion.

you, sir are an idiot for even trying to pry my rock solid case of facts, and you have no chance to change my opinions when the facts haven't been repealed.

you, seem to be continuing on a slippery slope; as well as strawman areguemnts? there is nothing more to argue here with this.

the car is dated in its looks to me (infallable opinon) and is slow (facts when comparing similarly priced sports cars, or cheaper sports cars)
it handles great; i never said it didn't; ask me if i would feel more confident in a Corvette, or this M3... i'd pick the vette each time (based on my own driving experiences) again, infallable.

there is absolutely nothing to rip appart; i've learned something about the eurospec E36; and you have learned that you dont think that you could be wrong that my opinion is based on facts.
Don't be a sissy. LOL@"trying to pry my rock solid case of facts". WTF. I even feel more inclined after your utter moronic post about the McLaren F1. Your definition of "solid fact" is mediocre at best.

But anyway, the E36 M3 is not a slow car by any means, not in it's class (sportsedans), not at the time it was introduced. As said before, even today a 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is fast. I can come up with a 6 page post full of cars slower than the M3. There's nothing factual about your flawed perception that an E36 M3 is slow. Compared to what?

So your post consists of two opinions (which are fine, whatever floats your boat) and a "fact" which is BS.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #55
sivsk
Regular User

Default E36 M#

A Great car, an allrounder.
It had to follow up on the E30 M3, and point to point it was and istill is a quick car, yes there are faster machines, but after hammering the life out of it day in day out, or taking it on a track day, it would start 1st time each time the next day or even the same night no probs. That is a usable sports car. As for handling and feel, lets remember BMW caters for all, some people buy it for the school and shopping run, some drive it cross continnent, and there are those who want a sports car, so the out of the Box car has to cater for all, god bless Schintzer, Hartge and all for those who want a little more focussed driving tool.
[/img]

here is mine.... i still think it is quick enough even today........
SAying that the E46 is great the CSL madder.... the new one being the E90 will put the bar higher..... but there will never be a poor M3 or any M car.... As in many reviews they put any new car against an M car as a benchmark.... nuff said
sivsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #56
TT
Regular User

*cough*

custom shot

*cough*
Old 03-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #57
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Re: E36 M#

Originally Posted by sivsk
A Great car, an allrounder.
It had to follow up on the E30 M3, and point to point it was and istill is a quick car, yes there are faster machines, but after hammering the life out of it day in day out, or taking it on a track day, it would start 1st time each time the next day or even the same night no probs. That is a usable sports car. As for handling and feel, lets remember BMW caters for all, some people buy it for the school and shopping run, some drive it cross continnent, and there are those who want a sports car, so the out of the Box car has to cater for all, god bless Schintzer, Hartge and all for those who want a little more focussed driving tool.
[/img]

here is mine.... i still think it is quick enough even today........
SAying that the E46 is great the CSL madder.... the new one being the E90 will put the bar higher..... but there will never be a poor M3 or any M car.... As in many reviews they put any new car against an M car as a benchmark.... nuff said

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 AM   #58
sivsk
Regular User

Default Why the Aggro???????

Ok news for you, i live in India now, you should see the roads ii have to drive on, pretty shit for my car, i have owned my M3 since 1996, when i lived in England, i drove the hell out if there, and enjoyed it! i rarely drive it here, and yes the rust you see is there no denying i don't drive it here much at all, the pic i took just.... VOR almost 8 months, and it is humid here and as anyone knows you get rust when you don't use it.......... i have'nt sold it when i could have done, i imported it here when i moved over, as my car has alot of history for me.... i also own a 1991 7 series that is not used and it's brakes are rusted to hell too.... But i have daily drivers, i have these 2 for the pleasure of owning them, i keep my M3 cos i can't replace it and when i do drive it it puts a massive smile on my face....... but what i wrote was an oppinion on how bomb proof these cars are, and an M3 surviving in The South of India for more than 7 years you will realise how tough a car has to be...... I posted the post as it was to tell how cool the car was not about my abilities.....

PS a moving shot of my car in it's glory days........
[img]

There is great pleasure in owning a car and not always driving it...... this car has had a great run, and now i just keep it.... not driven maybe for months on end, but i know when i crank it it starts and motors away....... even if you can't drive it fast as it would disappear down the craters we have here for pot holes.....
[/img]
sivsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:02 AM   #59
5vz-fe
Regular User

Please read the forum rules before making such claims.....(i.e. Pics or STFU)
Old 03-21-2006, 04:54 AM   #60
LotusGT1
Regular User

He provides pics. And as long as it's here and not in the "What you drive" section he doesn't need to post custom pics.

It's not in the general outline now is it?
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36643

Let's focus on the discussion, not some poor attempt of ZfrkS62 to become Sherlock Holmes