Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
ARMAN
Regular User

Default Are your parents/family proud of you?

Mine not really, the other children/friends were/are better, brighter, got better grades in school, got better jobs etc.
They are not saying that lowd but you can hear/see it sometimes

Not that I dont deserve some of that but still, would love to see parents be more proud

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
oscargarza88
Regular User

well my parents.. its just me and my bro, and im smarter than him, and i have a little little sister so all the focus goes on her, but i dont really feel like my parents care alot about my grades and me, i mean they say do good in school but they say that normal, not like with meaning, so i basically push myself, which is not enough sometimes, but thats what friends are for.
so my parents are neutral right now, they r not proud and not dissapointed, which being neutral is close to being dissapointed so too bad, i can learn to push myself.
and if u try ur hardest and ur parents dont feel proud of u then as long as you feel proud of urself for reaching ur goal, that is enough, well for me it would be.
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Since my sister graduated Carleton College in the top 10 students and is now doing her Ph.D. in Math at UPa., we could say my parents are prouder of her than they are of me. I'm doing good in school but I never bothered to reach my full potential. Frankly, I don't really give a fuck if they're proud or not...epecially my fucktard dad.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
lev_p
Regular User

Arman, you can always reply that you are the only one that lives in Europe, while they stayed back there BTW, what city are you from, or where does your family lives now? If it's not too personal, of course...

Spirit In The Dark
lev_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
topgeartom
Regular User

Im pretty sure my parents are proud of me. Ive always done well at school and been at the top of my class's and never been in trouble with the law or anything.

I think every family is proud of their own children, even if they dont show it actively in the open.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
ARMAN
Regular User

@lev_p - they live here too, thats the thing, they see me all the time, we work in the same company
I dont give a damn about that mostly but sometimes its ... hm... could be better

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
styla21
Regular User

I would say that my parentals are proud with who i am, and who i want to become. I'm quite happy with that too because i've done things that would've disappointed them undoubtedly along the way. It must be hard for parents to relate to the younger generation now, because the world is different to when they were our age e.g. Career / life, most people were married young, the world was a much different place. Given the circumstances i had as a kid and the things that my family has gone through, I also am proud with who i am too.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

hmm... this is a strange one
well, my mom... she says it; but i dont think she will ever mean it (no matter how successful i am at anything, she suggests i go totally different directions. its fairly fustrating.
my dad says so every so often, and knows i will be once i get out of his house (not that he's pushing me, but that he provides a cushin, and meathodolgy until i can overcome an obsticle myself.

in high school, i never was much one to turn in, or do much homework.... almost soley special projects/assignments interested me. i was in all the 'right' classes, pass all the tests etc. if it werent for some of my teachers, however, i dont know where i would be right now... i guess i mostly played my folks back seat in to most events; i just like to do things myself
Old 03-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #9
cooperluke
Regular User

I think they are, especially when I accomplish some things they consider very important.

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
in high school, i never was much one to turn in, or do much homework....
You and me both, mate

I think mine are proud of what I have achieved, although they don't like it that I smoke.

Of course, they don't know everything I got up to at Uni but I wasted a lot of taxpayers money on recreational activity!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

heh, high school and homework didn't mix for me. Actually, school and homwork never mixed until i went to tech school.

I don't think they were all that proud of me until they realized i was doing what i wanted to do and would end up being more successful then them. Which baisically meant once i graduated from college and then bmw.

Didn't really help that my 16 year old little brother was doing 4th Algebra problems in his head when he was 8th grade. At that age i was barely passing my second year of pre-alg

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Didn't really help that my 16 year old little brother was doing 4th Algebra problems in his head when he was 8th grade. At that age i was barely passing my second year of pre-alg
depends on the problem... by 4th algebra, do you actually mean calc 2? there was no algebra 4 offered at my school
You and me both, mate
good to see i wasnt the only one... its wierd walking the line so close to pass/fail in classes that i had teachers that demanded homework, and didnt care much for test scores. my dad was wondering if i was even going to graduate at the time... but by senior year, i was a pro at it
Old 03-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
depends on the problem... by 4th algebra, do you actually mean calc 2? there was no algebra 4 offered at my school
You and me both, mate
good to see i wasnt the only one... its wierd walking the line so close to pass/fail in classes that i had teachers that demanded homework, and didnt care much for test scores. my dad was wondering if i was even going to graduate at the time... but by senior year, i was a pro at it
I really couldn't tell you. I took one look at his book, saw a bunch of letters in place of number and then got a headache and walked away

The only class i cared about by the time senior year rolled around was Automotive Technology. It was the only class i got higher than a C in. The only reason i skipped it occassionally was because it was a 0 hour class which meant we had to be there an hour before the rest of the school

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #14
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Is this enough to make my point...

lol, j/k

Sometimes they are, and most of the time they're not, but I am working on that

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #15
dingo
Regular User

my parents think I am the greatest - and with good reason
Seriously though, I think they are fairly proud as long as I eventually finish uni and don't change course again The fact I want to get a loan to buy a new car hasn't made them that happy though.....so it might all change if I go through with it