Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
fishfreek
Regular User

Default Free or Cheap Image hosting

I know alot of you guys are using imageshack for your photo hosting needs but I wanted to post a message here for my buds on Jabbasworld. I am launching a new image hosing site. Feel free to give it a spin. If you like it then please use it and tell others. If you dont like it then you can just go find someone elses bandwidth and disk space to use up.

http://www.photolocker.net

Free Photo Hosting
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

Nice and clean job you did there dude.

I admit the auto resize thing that will bring down any pic to 800x600 (if bigger), doesn't really do it for me, but it's a hell of a good autoresize, never saw such a good quality one. And I see you can also resize the pic to any given smaller size afterward.

The look is nice and easy on the eyes.

The multiple upload thing is also pretty usefull, even just two at a time can save some time

BTW, I am a stats freak and to be able to see the b/w used by every pic is damn cool

I hope it will pick up and one day you will have to face problems like imageshack has, with ppl trying to upload 13'000 pics on their servers
Old 03-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
ARMAN
Regular User

/\/\/\

Nice work fishfreek

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
mv
Regular User

Isn't there going to be a special offer for JW members ? The premium account for free ?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
DR.GONZO
Regular User

link does not work

now it works Looks Nice.
DR.GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
Stikz
Regular User

Thanks for the link fishfreek. Just signed up. Also, pretty decent job on the setup.
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
fishfreek
Regular User

One feature I think is so awsome is the gallery feature. Below is a link to a gallery I just setup.

http://www.photolocker.net/gallery.p...5---80Gal-Reef

Free Photo Hosting
Old 03-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
TransAm
Regular User

Nice site, FF

Will try it out next time I post pics.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
fishfreek
Regular User

Well today was the offical launch day. Not counting myself there is proably 6-7 users.

There are more features comming in the next month or so. The 100mb limit might change. I had to put some kind of resonable level on there for now to keep the site from outgrowing the server its on for at least a few months.

Free Photo Hosting
Old 03-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
dingo
Regular User

It looks nice, the only thing which bothers me is the autoresize (as TT mentioned) as I am a high-res freak and all the pictures I post are in 1600x1200 so thats how I want them to stay
Old 03-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
ARMAN
Regular User

Originally Posted by mv
Isn't there going to be a special offer for JW members ? The premium account for free ?
No point of making business then

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
sikx5
Regular User

I would be interested in something similar to this dude, I went to F1 Melbourne this year and got some really really nice photos with the d70.....just one problem now, i need a place to host them. They are inbetween 2-3mb. 1.75gig in total, can i get some prices on hosting please dude.

Thanks

8)
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Nice dude! I like the layout alot!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by sikx5
I would be interested in something similar to this dude, I went to F1 Melbourne this year and got some really really nice photos with the d70.....just one problem now, i need a place to host them. They are inbetween 2-3mb. 1.75gig in total, can i get some prices on hosting please dude.

Thanks

8)
You don't plan to put "raw" pics on the net do you? it is totally useless, there is no noticeable gain in quality, they will be too big anyway and too heavy for us to handle
Don't be lazy and start to slowly edit them, to take down size but also to improve quality
Old 03-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #15
fishfreek
Regular User

Lets see if I can work thru the comments.

If you dont like the autoresize to 800x600 then pay $5/month. The images will not be resized unless they are larger than 1600x1200. Any image larger than that is useless to most people anyway. For $5/month you get 100mb of storage and 2gb of monthly bandwidth and the best part you have to know absolutly ZERO about webpages, etc. You can upload up to 10 images at a time and can have an unlimited number of galleries to categorize your images into (current limit is 100 until I can modify the code to permit unlimited). Pay a year in advance and its even less per month. For the internet noob this is an outstanding deal.

I gave TT a free month of preimum membership so he could upload the following

http://www.photolocker.net/images/TT/ferrari430203.jpg

Premium members can upload images as large as 2mb. Why on earth host an image that large on the internet? Its insane. Even people with highspeed cable modems are not going to sit thru downloading a bunch of huge photos only to try to view them on their computers where they can see a wopping 20% of the image before having to scroll left/right and up/down to get the big picture.

If you insist on needing 1+gig of disk space to host those kinds of images then my web hosting offer will be of interest to you. I can offer you 1gig of disk and 20gigs of bandwith per month for $5. You must own your own web domain. You must also know how to develop and create a website. You would have the ability to install your own photo gallery and of course orgnize your photos and customize the apperance. You get much more disk and bandwidth for the same money but your also expected to have a greater level of knowlege in what to do with that space.

Free Photo Hosting