Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #16
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by robruf
That was the old schedule, they are not going to have qualifying until Sunday (here, Saturday night), so I guess the race will be on Monday (here, Sunday night).
nope, they're running qualifying a few hours before the race on the same day
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #17
sameerrao
Regular User

Here's some images from the practice sessions - Courtesy: itv-f1.com - Sutton

Rain brings out the best in F1 cars ... The last time I saw a picture of a lit circuit was in 1994 when the race was held in wet conditions as well - see tthird pic ... cool!

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #18
robruf
Regular User

Now, on F1 racing.net, they are saying that the GP may not even happen due to the extreme weather, the rain is just too much for the cars.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #19
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by robruf
Now, on F1 racing.net, they are saying that the GP may not even happen due to the extreme weather, the rain is just too much for the cars.
Nope! Quote from f1racing.com

Super Typhoon Ma-On should not adversely affect the running of Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix. Heavy rain at Suzuka tailed off mid- afternoon and the circuit has been left largely unscathed by the high winds. Mo-On is now heading towards Tokyo.

The news will come as a relief to fans, teams and the race organisers alike. "The storm has passed Suzuka and the race shouldn't be in danger," the Japanese Meteorological Agency report.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 10-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #20
5vz-fe
Regular User

I hope its gonna be a wet race
Old 10-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #21
sameerrao
Regular User

^^ I think so ... the question is how wet will it be ... I would like it wet enough for some spins, passes, squirrelly car .. but not too wet such that safety car laps become commonplace.

I remember a Champcar race last year (surfer's Paridise perhaps) when almost the entire race was behind a safety car.

One of the best races that I was fortunate to witness was the 2003 F1 race at Indy. It was cold and drizzle happened within a lap or so. Then it rained enough to get the full wets out on the cars .. finally it cleared up and we had a Ferrari win. There werent many safety car laps either. Perfect. The rain was light enough that it didnt bother us in the stands...

Old 10-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #22
sameerrao
Regular User

Updated the qualifying results and comments

Selected driver quotes (courtesy: www.formula1.com)
Ralf Schumacher, Williams (2nd, 1m 34.032s):
“Under these unpredictable conditions, with the track quickly changing, it was no easy qualifying. I took advantage of my poor race result in China and the consequent late starting position in pre-qualifying today, and managed to run on a dry and improving track during both the qualifying sessions. I am very happy with this result also because I know we have a good race car and strong chances to collect some valuable points.”

Mark Webber, Jaguar (3rd, 1m 34.571s):
"It's been a good start to the day for us here in Suzuka. We would have liked to have had more time to prepare the cars for today but as it has turned out I am really pleased to be in 3rd position for the start of the race. My first qualifying session made it possible for me to go out much later in the second session, which has helped us. The boys have done a great job preparing the car given the little amount of track time we have had and our third position is a good morale booster. I am really looking forward to the race and although it is a long race I will be doing everything I can to finish in a points scoring position.”

Takuma Sato, BAR (4th, 1m 34.897s):
"The conditions were very tricky but I'm pleased with my lap under the circumstances. The track has continued to get drier and faster with each car running, so I think the conditions will be good for the start of the race. The cancellation of yesterday's running was disappointing for the fans here, so I very much hope we can make up for that with a strong race this afternoon."

Jenson Button, BAR (5th, 1m 35.157s):
"It wasn't a bad lap considering the difficult conditions. Much of the circuit is dry but there are some parts that are still very wet and it is very difficult to see them. It's not just a slight loss of grip either; it's big oversteer as I demonstrated in the chicane on my timed lap. I'm happy to be a second ahead of the McLarens though and of course both Taku and myself are ahead of both Renaults which is a good place to start fighting to retain second position in the Constructors' Championship."

Juan Pablo Montoya, Williams (13th, 1m 37.653s):
“I had a quite bad pre-qualifying, mainly due to the fact that the pressure of my tyres wasn't ideal. I therefore had to take some risks in final qualifying and we decided to go out on dry tyres. This choice paid off, because I could slightly improve my position from first qualifying. We have a good race car and I am confident we can collect some points.”

Christian Klien, Jaguar (14th, 1m 38.258s):
"Before today's qualifying I had only managed to complete nine fast laps and those were in extreme wet conditions. I knew the guys were going to prepare the car as best they could so it was up to me to give it my best shot in qualifying. The track was drying up this morning and this has made conditions easier to drive in. My first qualifying was ok but I am pleased with my second session when I finished fourteenth. The circuit is not easy to drive and I think that this afternoon is going to be challenging."

Gianmaria Bruni, Minardi (18th, 1m 48.069s):
"It has been a difficult morning, as we were out first for our qualifying run. With the track still wet but drying quickly, it was a difficult choice on tyres, but in the end, we went with shallow wets. Unfortunately, the drivers whose runs came next were able to use slicks, which gave them a big advantage. Anyway, now we will just have to see what happens in the race."

Zsolt Baumgartner, Minardi (no time):
"It's a shame that I had a problem in the pre-qualifying run because my first sector time was not too bad. The track conditions were tricky, as the surface was drying, but still quite wet in places. The car had some oversteer in it and when the back end slid in that corner, I was just a little too late catching it. We've been a bit unlucky this weekend. This is a very challenging circuit, I have not run here before, and the track conditions have been particularly tricky. I just hope we can have a good race this afternoon."

Old 10-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #23
sameerrao
Regular User

Itv-F1 take on the race:

Michael Schumacher banished his Shanghai qualifying woes to the history books by clinching his eighth pole of the season in imperious fashion at Suzuka.

Having booked the next-to-last position in the running order with second fastest time in pre-qualifying, Schumacher benefited from a virtually bone-dry track and duly delivered.

“It was very difficult with practice only on Friday, then pre-qualifying and qualifying in one hit this morning,” said the world champion.

“I was luckier than Rubens being second to last car out and getting better circumstances, so there we are. I should be thankful [after] not having things so good in China, but having qualifying on the same day as the race is a bit difficult.”

Brother Ralf was second quickest, some 0.5s in arrears, ensuring that the front row of the grid will be the exclusive property of the Schumacher clan.

Almost all the Williams driver’s deficit was accounted for by a lock-up under braking for the ultra-tight chicane at the end of the lap. Michael was a mere 0.007s up at the second timing split but a much tidier run through the chicane made the difference.

Mark Webber showed that his encouraging pre-qualifying run was no fluke by netting third on the grid for Jaguar – a real shot in the arm for the beleaguered Milton Keynes outfit that was recently put up for sale by parent company Ford.

Japanese hero Takuma Sato delighted his legion of fans with a stirring lap that eclipsed the previous benchmark set by BAR team-mate Jenson Button – prompting vigorous flag waving from the large crowd and whoops of delight from his mechanics.

Sato was later denied a storybook result by the efforts of Messrs Schumacher (plural) and Webber, of course, but his time proved good enough for fourth on the grid.

Like a number of other big names, Button was handicapped by an indifferent time in pre-qualifying which meant that the track was still damp in places when he went out for his qualifying run.

There was very little wrong with the Briton’s lap (a snap-oversteer moment at turn four being the only visible error) but he simply didn’t have the grip of some of the later runners and had to settle for fifth.

By contrast, pre-qualifying pacesetter Jarno Trulli was perfectly placed and took full advantage to qualify an excellent sixth for his race debut with Toyota. The Italian, who split with Renault in acrimonious circumstances following the Italian GP, will no doubt allow himself a wry smile after putting one over his old team.

Giancarlo Fisichella was hoping for a downpour in order to exploit Bridgestone’s wet-weather tyre advantage, which had enabled him to clock the second fastest time in both practice sessions on Friday. In today’s drier conditions the Sauber star had to make do with seventh.

David Coulthard outqualified McLaren team-mate Kimi Raikkonen for only the sixth time this year, a tidy if unspectacular lap netting eighth on the grid for the Scotsman, while the Finn had several sideways moments en route to 12th.

Coulthard’s buddy Jacques Villeneuve seems to be making progress as he readjusts to F1 machinery, and – as he did in the wet on Friday – outpaced hotshoe team-mate Fernando Alonso.

The French-Canadian lost a couple of tenths with a lock-up at the chicane but was an impressive 0.8s faster than Alonso in the first sector, which comprises a very demanding series of S-bends behind the paddock.

Ninth and 11th places were emphatically not what Renault boss Flavio Briatore had in mind, however, especially with arch-rivals BAR several rows ahead. The pendulum in the season-long battle for second place in the constructors’ championship may now have swung decisively in the Brackley team’s favour.

Olivier Panis set himself up for a potential points finish in his final grand prix by rounding out the top ten in his Toyota. The popular ‘Ollie’ will hand over the keys to Brazilian Ricardo Zonta for the latter’s home race in two weeks time.

Juan Pablo Montoya was made to pay a heavy price for a poor showing in pre-qualifying that left him third man out after only the Minardis.

The Colombian had to cope with a treacherously damp track, and only just managed to keep his Williams on the island when he hit a puddle and the back end stepped several metres out of line at well over 100 mph through turn four.

Ferrari’s Rubens Barrichello fared even worse after missing his braking point at the chicane and taking to the run-off area. The Brazilian, who has taken pole and victory in each of the last two grands prix, will start this afternoon’s race from a lowly 15th place.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:32 AM   #24
saadie
Regular User

just saw the race .. was really awsome ...
jacques with some nice moves 8)
Mschumacher just doin his job ....
Ralph did pritty nice ..
Button again 3rd ...
Sato broke his neck
montoya died
so did barichello

Old 10-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #25
5vz-fe
Regular User

Looking at today's result, it is safe to say that JV prolly won't be competiting with top teams next year.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:53 AM   #26
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by saadie
just saw the race .. was really awsome ...
jacques with some nice moves 8)
Mschumacher just doin his job ....
Ralph did pritty nice ..
Button again 3rd ...
Sato broke his neck
montoya died
so did barichello

Funny - Jacques "Two step" Villeneuve did shows his moves ... only problem was that the moves took him backward.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:54 AM   #27
initiala4
Regular User

daaamn Schumi won again....
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:58 AM   #28
saadie
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Funny - Jacques "Two step" Villeneuve did shows his moves ... only problem was that the moves took him backward.
ummm we can blame the car for that ... ops: :cry: ..... lol

Originally Posted by initiala4
Old 10-10-2004, 03:58 AM   #29
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Looking at today's result, it is safe to say that JV prolly won't be competiting with top teams next year.
Peter Sauber must be praying that Jacques gets stolen by some other team as - A. He will get paid for it and B. His cumulative driver talent in the team will improve immeasurably.

I never thought that JV was all that special all these years. I was prepared to cut him some slack over his pathetic performance in China - as it was his first race and he hadnt tested and yada...yada.. yada.

He qualified well and I thought .. Okay perhaps he's back in the saddle again. His performance can be quantified by one word - pathetic.

Flavio must be eating his words now - Villeneuve will help us in the race to get second poition in the championship. Yeah Right!

Old 10-10-2004, 03:59 AM   #30
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by saadie
Originally Posted by sameerrao
ummm we can blame the car for that ... ops: :cry: ..... lol

Originally Posted by initiala4
No as read my post above ... Alonso overtook him pretty easily. So Alonso has once again made him look second rate...

Alonso's fastest lap in the race 1'34.279 while Villeneuve was 1'35.290