Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default ** MONZA ** 2004 FORMULA ONE GP - Practice, Qualifying, Race

Race Background
Monza (Autodromo Nazionale)
They call it La Pista Magica - the magic race track - and as soon as you arrive in the old royal park at Monza you know why. The ghosts are there in the woods. The buildings talk of legends and of heroes, of great races and shocking accidents. You can feel your spine tingle with the excitement that emanates from the thousands of tifosi, the Ferrari fans who flock to Monza every year to watch the red cars from Maranello. For them, nothing is impossible. There is always a little magic to help them. Of all the racing tracks in the world this is the one to visit for it the embodiment of the joy and thrill that is always in the background when racing people gather.

You have to forget the bad points - and there are many. The traffic is awful, the pickpockets are busy, the policemen are lazy or frenetic but rarely anything in between. Fans drool at the gates, they jeer at Ferrari's rivals. They have even been known to throw rocks.

But go out into the woods and see the tree trunks with nails hammered into them so that the fans can climb to a perfect viewing point, or stay up all night with them and watch them dance on the track the night before a race and you begin to understand. If you've ever watched John Frankenheimer's movie Grand Prix you will know Monza - it hasn't changed much. It is where Jean-Pierre Sarti's Ferrari goes out of control on the banking and smashes through the trees onto the track below. It is where James Garner stands on the main straight in the early morning on the day after the race, mulling over his victory. The camera pulls gradually and majestically away into the sky.

But it is more than just the passion and the history. Monza is all about the brave. If you sit around long enough in the Formula 1 paddock you will hear people talk about Formula 1 being boring. Wander out along the muddy paths through the woods to the Lesmo corners and you will never again say that F1 is dull.

Monza dates from the years immediately following World War I when the automobile was new and exciting and those who had survived the fighting were keen to live life to the full.

The work began in February 1922 when racing stars Vincenzo Lancia and Felice Nazzaro laid the first stone. Two days later local conservationists stopped the work and it was not until May that the 3500 workmen were able to go back into action. The 6.25-mile track was finished by the end of July. It was an amazing feat. At the time it was only the third permanent racing circuit in the world, after Brooklands and Indianapolis. The first race was in September with Pietro Bordino winning in a Fiat. A week later Monza held its first Italian Grand Prix and 150,000 turned out to see it. Bordino won again. Ever since then the second weekend in September has been the Monza weekend.

The track has been rebuilt on several occasions but the basic design is much as it was. The original flat banking was replaced by the fearsome high banking that can still be seen today, built in 1955 but used for only a few years before drivers began to boycott the event on the grounds of safety. Stand on that banking and you will know why the bravest of the brave lost their nerve. Monza was always a high-speed track and while chicanes have come along to slow the cars and the old days of Monza slip-streaming battles are a thing of the past, the essential element of speed is still there. And when there is such speed there are always accidents.

Until the horrible Le Mans disaster in 1955 Monza was the place where racing's worst accident had occurred, Emilio Materassi crashing his Talbot opposite the pits in 1928, killing himself and 27 spectators. Wolfgang von Trips cartwheeled into the crowd after a brush with Jim Clark in 1961. The German and 13 others died.

In 1933 three top drivers (the opera-loving Giuseppe Campari, his protege Baconin Borzacchini and the Czech aristocrat Count Stanislas Czaykowski) died on the same weekend. In 1955 the sport's top driver Alberto Ascari died at the wheel of a Ferrari sportscar while testing in the corner that now bears his name. No-one knows why. In 1970 Jochen Rindt was on his way to the world championship when a brake failure sent his Lotus smashing into the wall at the Parabolica. He died before they could get him to hospital. Eight years later the start of the Italian Grand Prix ended in a cataclysmic accident as the drivers jockeyed for position on the run down to the first corner. Ronnie Peterson died. The list is long, longer than anywhere else other than Indianapolis.

And yet the track has seen some incredibly heroic moments as well. In 1956 Peter Collins was in a position to win the World Championship in his Lancia Ferrari but 15 laps from the finish, during a routine pit stop, he handed his car over to team leader and rival Juan-Manuel Fangio to let the Argentine take the title. Collins said that he would get his chance another day.

It was at Monza that Niki Lauda returned to racing in 1976 just a few weeks after his fiery accident at the Nurburgring. The frightened, bloodied figure, disfigured by his burns overcame his fears and created a legend.

If you read through the record books you will find that Monza is still - and probably always will be - the venue of the fastest ever Grand Prix and the one with the closest finish - the Italian GP of 1971 when Peter Gethin popped out from behind Ronnie Peterson to cross the line just 0.01sec ahead of Ronnie Peterson after averaging 150.754mph from start to finish. It was the last of the great Monza slipstreamers before the chicanes arrived.

It was at Monza in 1988, a few weeks after Enzo Ferrari's death, that McLaren was beaten for the first and only time that year when Ayrton Senna misjudged a maneuver as he tried to lap the Williams of Jean-Louis Schlesser with only a few laps to go and ended up in the sandtrap, allowing Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto to score an amazing 1-2 finish for Ferrari. That was magic. There is no other explanation.

Monza's fame lies more than anything with Grand Prix racing but the track has long been the venue of other great races, including the famous Monza Lotteria, when the young drivers were able to grab a moment of glory and, perhaps, a Grand Prix drive. The Monza 1000 sportscar race was another classic with stories which could only have happened at Monza. In 1985 the racing had to stop after 800km when the frontrunners arrived to find that a very large tree had been blown down across the track and Hans Stuck tried to convince his fellow drivers that they could lift the tree out of the way and get on with the racing.

Monza was the venue in 1957 and 1958 for a pair of curious Europe versus America races known as The Races of the Two Worlds in which Indycar roadsters battled with Formula 1 cars.

Everywhere you go at Monza there are stories - even in the camp sites. It was in one of these that Frank Williams used to have his head office when he was wheeling and dealing in his early days and where a Ferrari sportscar came over the wall while it was being tested and landed next to his tent.

The track is gradually being upgraded as F1 demands more and more but thankfully the great Monza grandstand remains where it has been since 1938, witnessing the amazing events in the park. In 1945 it was filled with Allied soldiers who watched tanks parade down the main straight. One can only hope that they will never tear it town, nor the curious Pirelli "scoreboard" towers which stand on either side of it.

Stand on the top of one of these - if you can convince someone to let you in - and on a clear day you will be able to see down to the Curva Grande with the Italian Alps visible away to the north and the old Monza banking curling away into the trees and you will get as near as heaven as you can at a motor racing circuit.

Magic.

Source: www.grandprix.com

Key Statistics
http://www.f1-fansite.com/circuits/monza.asp

Winningest drivers:
Nelson Piquet, Michael Schumacher - 4 times
J M Fangio, Stirling Moss, Ronnie Peterson, Alain Prost - 3 times

2004 Friday Practice times
Session 1
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
1 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:20.526
2 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.861
3 35 Anthony Davidson BAR-Honda 1:20.902
4 6 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.637
5 8 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:21.778
6 9 Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:21.904
7 7 Jarno Trulli Renault 1:22.052
8 37 Bjorn Wirdheim Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.065
9 4 Antonio Pizzonia Williams-BMW 1:22.159
10 3 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1:22.232
11 10 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:22.245
12 5 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:22.248
13 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:22.259
14 11 Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 1:22.460
15 17 Olivier Panis Toyota 1:22.487
16 16 Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:22.607
17 38 Ryan Briscoe Toyota 1:22.815
18 14 Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 1:23.071
19 39 Timo Glock Jordan-Ford 1:23.333
20 40 Bas Leinders Minardi-Cosworth 1:23.696
21 15 Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 1:23.723
22 18 Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford 1:24.000
23 19 Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford 1:24.412
24 20 Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 1:26.062
25 21 Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth 1:26.161

Session 2
1 6 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.846
2 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.899
3 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:21.080
4 9 Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:21.124
5 4 Antonio Pizzonia Williams-BMW 1:21.264
6 10 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:21.313
7 3 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1:21.419
8 35 Anthony Davidson BAR-Honda 1:21.544
9 8 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:21.630
10 5 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:22.052
11 7 Jarno Trulli Renault 1:22.191
12 38 Ryan Briscoe Toyota 1:22.197
13 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:22.258
14 16 Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:22.298
15 11 Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 1:22.302
16 39 Timo Glock Jordan-Ford 1:22.332
17 14 Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.392
18 17 Olivier Panis Toyota 1:22.813
19 37 Bjorn Wirdheim Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.914
20 15 Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 1:23.199
21 19 Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford 1:23.818
22 40 Bas Leinders Minardi-Cosworth 1:24.045
23 21 Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth 1:24.063
24 20 Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 1:24.225
25 18 Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford
Source: Formula1.com

Practice comments: http://www.formula1.com/race/news/2178/728.html

- Michael is the fastest overall based on his time in Session 1. His time was approximately 0.5 secs
- Pizzonia clipped the wall and damaged the rear end of his Williams ... it is uncertain if the engine needs to be replaced for the QLF session. It was caused by brake disk failure

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
mindgam3
Regular User

hmmm, thanks sameerrao, i was just about to post this
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

Predictions for the race anyone?

Pole: Schumi
Win: Schumi

He let the Spa race get away from him and damned if he is going to let this race slip thru his fingers ...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 09-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Toronto
Regular User

fast track, i think sato might to well,
but schumi or alonso to win.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Renault may be hurt by the lack of horsepower. So I personally doubt it.

They are about 5 KPH slower in the straight line unless they make up for it in the curves --> Lesmos, Ascari and Parabolica

http://www.formula1.com/race/result/...ap/728/10.html

But then again Button scored the 6th quickest lap in Practice 2 with a speed 10 kph slower so maybe I am talking shit here

Old 09-10-2004, 08:14 PM   #6
robruf
Regular User

Watch out for Kimi, as he really wants to win and even Button is saying to watch out for McLaren at this track, hell, he won the second practice, so watch out Schmacher.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Predictions for the race anyone?

Pole: Schumi
Win: Schumi

He let the Spa race get away from him and damned if he is going to let this race slip thru his fingers ...
overtaking... none!

Fans drool at the gates, they jeer at Ferrari's rivals. They have even been known to throw rocks.
i am the only one that thinks that kind of behaviour (throwing rocks) is fucking stupid, and pathetic, why not let the score's be settled on the race track!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

If it was 2 races ago, I would say schumi for sure, but after Kimi clinching the win last race, I am not sure, might be a close race. The thing is, Ferrari stop developing the F2004 while Mclaren constantly putting new stuff in.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:02 AM   #9
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

I was at Monza for the 98 GP, it was awesome

Hopefully a Schumie win for all us tifosi
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:23 AM   #10
sameerrao
Regular User

I don't believe it ... no one has posted the QLF times or talked about it ... C'mon people wake up.

I got back from a trip to Dallas for an Italian Car festival. So missed qualifying as a result. Just finished watching on video.

Good to see Barrichello on top. Its his 11th pole. He was really smooth all the way. Michael had some issue on the Parabolica ... on one onboard the car seemed to hesitate when shifting and also he got off the throttle to correct the car. He lost 0.4 on the last sector. That cost him dearly allowing Montoya to slip past him into P2. Still P3 is better than P2 as it is on the clean side of the grid. Hope to see a fight between the top 4 cars... Just no mayhem into the first chicane after the start.

Montoya did a stunnign 1'19.525" in pre-qualifying but must be on really low fuel to be last to do actual qualifying

All following data from www.formula1.com

QUALIFYING

Qualifying Results

1 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.089
2 3 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1:20.620
3 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:20.637
4 8 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:20.645
5 10 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:20.715
6 9 Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:20.786
7 6 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.877
8 4 Antonio Pizzonia Williams-BMW 1:20.888
9 7 Jarno Trulli Renault 1:21.027
10 5 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.049
11 16 Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:21.520
12 14 Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 1:21.602
13 17 Olivier Panis Toyota 1:21.841
14 15 Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 1:21.989
15 11 Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 1:22.239
16 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:22.287
17 18 Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford 1:22.301
18 19 Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford 1:23.239
19 21 Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth 1:24.808
20 20 Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 1:24.940

Driver comments

From fastest to slowest

Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari (1st, 1m 20.089s):
“I am so happy with this result. The car was really good and I got the most out of it. It felt better through the Lesmos than in the last section and even if you can never do a perfect lap, I think it was very near the limit. But at Monza the important thing is to get it right rather than be on the limit because a tiny mistake can cost you half a second. It was an exciting lap for me from inside the car. I won here in 2002, I like Monza and while in the past, all the support we got here would distract me, now it gives me a boost. I am quite confident for tomorrow, when we will see what the weather brings.”

Juan Pablo Montoya, Williams (2nd, 1m 20.620s):
“The team did a very good job today and we had two good qualifying sessions. My final qualifying lap was not the best, because I pushed very hard and made too many mistakes, but even if it had been perfect I still think Ferrari would be ahead, Rubens put in a very good lap! It is a positive result for our team, especially because the top times are very close together here. We will see how the race goes and what strategy Ferrari are on. I also started second last year so I really cannot complain! We had three good days of testing here last week, and they seem to have really paid off.”

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari (3rd, 1m 20.637s):
“My lap started well with a good time in the first sector, where before I had been struggling. Then I lost the time in the final part, but Rubens did a perfect lap and I could not have matched it anyway, so I cannot complain. As for tomorrow, I am not so far away from Rubens, so we have a strong chance of transforming today’s performance into a good result. Coming here having won both championships, it would be great to do it in style. It would be the perfect way to thank our tifosi.”

Fernando Alonso, Renault (4th, 1m 20.645s):
"I am quite surprised to be fourth on the grid. We knew things would be very tight, and I managed to take advantage of that to get a place on the second row. The timed lap was quite difficult because the car was understeering in the first part of the lap, at the second chicane and the Lesmos, but then handling really well in the fast corners in the final sector. Overall, though, the balance of the car was good and I am pretty confident tomorrow. I think we can run an aggressive race and fight for a podium position as we had hoped."

Takuma Sato, BAR (5th, 1m 20.715s):
"This is not where we felt we could be on the grid here, but the close lap times at the front of the grid have shown that it was a very competitive qualifying session. I think we can be happy with our performance today and it's good that we have split the Renaults. We tested successfully here last week and the team have really progressed well through the weekend so far. I believe that we should have a strong strategy, and as a result, a good race here tomorrow."

Jenson Button, BAR (6th, 1m 20.786s):
"I had a good balance in pre-qualifying but when it came to the actual qualifying run, the car was very different. I had a lot of oversteer - some big snaps as soon as I got on the power at the exits, especially at Lesmos and Ascari. So it was pretty tough and quite disappointing, but I'm sure we can do something from there."

Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren (7th, 1m 20.877s):
"It was an OK lap. I think I was a bit too quick coming into the last corner and possibly lost some time, but otherwise it was good. Rubens is a lot faster than everybody else, but apart from him we are all pretty close. It will be interesting to see what happens in the race when it becomes clear what strategy other teams have chosen. In addition the weather might play a role as some say it could rain."

Antonio Pizzonia, Williams (8th, 1m 20.888s):
“After a very good pre-qualifying I had a slightly less successful final qualifying lap, but I am still quite happy because I know I have a good race car. Eighth is still a good position to start from and still a reasonable gift for my birthday. The top ten positions are very close. Unfortunately I made a small mistake in the middle sector which cost me probably a few positions but still I know that we have a consistent pace for tomorrow’s race and a good strategy.”

Jarno Trulli, Renault (9th, 1m 21.027s):
"I am really pleased with my qualifying performance. I pushed to the limit and managed to put in a good lap. I still do not feel completely comfortable with the car, and it was nervous and difficult to drive on the lap, so I took a lot of risks and they paid off. The car is quite competitive here and from what we have seen so far, we should be consistent on the longer runs. I will definitely be aiming for a good points finish tomorrow."

David Coulthard, McLaren (10th, 1m 21.049s):
"A very close qualifying session where a few tenths of a second made a big difference to where you are on the grid. My lap was a tidy one. However, I did lose a small amount of time in Ascari, but because we are so close this cost me some positions. We believe that our strategy will allow us a strong race."

Ricardo Zonta, Toyota (11th, 1m 21.520s):
"I am very pleased with my qualifying lap this afternoon. We have worked very hard in preparation for this race, both at the test session last week and in the free practice sessions. The Michelin tyre evaluation work we carried out yesterday was beneficial for qualifying and I think the tyres will be consistent in the race. I would have liked to get into the top ten, but I am satisfied with eleventh - it is a good position from which to start the race and I hope from there we can get a positive result."

Mark Webber, Jaguar (12th, 1m 21.602s):
“We had a good morning session today when we worked on both balance and race set-up. Going into qualifying this afternoon I was happy with the work that the team had done in preparing the car. I really enjoy driving this track here although there are probably too many straights and not enough corners, as I would like. The first chicane can be quite tricky though and you really need to have a perfect lap to get those extra tenths out of the car. I am pleased to have split the Toyotas and certainly, I will be doing what I can to make the most of any opportunities tomorrow. The team and I worked hard last night and we are pleased with our tyre decision and strategy ahead of the race. I think there is some rain forecast for tomorrow so it could be an interesting race. This track is incredibly fast and it is specifically tough on brakes and can also punish the rear tyres. We have come here well prepared though and we will be doing what we can tomorrow to score some more Championship points.”

Olivier Panis, Toyota (13th, 1m 21.841s):
"I cannot say that I have enjoyed a trouble-free weekend up to now. After the problems we faced in yesterday's practice sessions, we were forced to change the gearbox on my car just before pre-qualifying today. The team has been working hard to fix the car quickly, but I am still not totally happy with the car. Considering all the problems that we have encountered, I think we should be content with 11th and 13th places on the grid, even if I personally expected us to be more competitive at this high-speed track. Now we simply have to be focused on tomorrow's race and hope for our fortunes to change."

Christian Klien, Jaguar (14th, 1m 21.989s):
“We made some good tyre decisions last night which has made today much easier for us. I managed to complete twenty-six laps this morning in free practice that allowed me to fine-tune the car ahead of qualifying. This afternoon the car felt good and I was generally pleased with how my final qualifying lap went. However I made a slight mistake at the Ascari chicane and this probably lost me a couple of tenths. Despite that I was pleased with where we have ended up given our strategy and the race-pace of the car. I am very much looking forward to this race tomorrow, as I am sure that there will be some excitement on track. The high speeds make it exhilarating and I will be doing what I can to make it to the chequered flag and score some more points.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Sauber (15th, 1m 22.239s):
"My lap was not so good. Obviously we had a fair amount of fuel, but while the first sector was very good I was too conservative in the second and then braked too late for Parabolica and got into a lot of understeer. That cost me at least three-tenths. We are, however, optimistic for the race because we know how consistent the car is on long runs."

Felipe Massa, Sauber (16th, 1m 22.287s):
"There was a big difference in the balance of my car between its pre-qualifying configuration and the qualifying set-up, and this caught me out a little under braking for the first part of the first chicane. I locked the rear wheels a little and ran in wide, so after that the lap was ruined. It's a pity because the rest of it was very good. I probably lost two, maybe three, positions. Now I just have to exploit the car's strong race form as much as I can."

Nick Heidfeld, Jordan (17th, 1m 22.301s):
“Obviously it was a disappointing day for me although it was clear already that I would be starting the race tomorrow ten places back because of the engine change yesterday. I was not able to do a quick lap in pre-qualifying as I had a gearbox problem and we were not able to rectify it before qualifying so we chose to jump in the spare car. In the circumstances, I was quite happy with the lap.”

Giorgio Pantano, Jordan (18th, 1m 23.239s):
“I was expecting better from qualifying. I lost two or three tenths of a second when I went off slightly at the exit of Ascari - I think I was pushing a bit too much. Apart from that mistake I think it was the maximum.”

Zsolt Baumgartner, Minardi (19th, 1m 24.808s):
"The accident this morning was very unfortunate, and I was lucky, as the speed differential between my car and the car that hit me was much higher than at Spa two weeks ago. As for my qualifying run, I locked the brakes up going into the first chicane and slid across the first part of it, losing time in the process. Otherwise, the rest of the lap was better than on the previous run. In any event, I am happy with qualifying today and with the fact I didn't suffer any injuries in the accident."

Gianmaria Bruni, Minardi (20th, 1m 24.940s):
"My qualifying lap was good and the car felt fine considering the strategy we have adopted for tomorrow, when it may well rain. I didn't make any obvious mistakes on my flying lap and the time was quite good, so I'm very happy with the work we've done today."

Old 09-12-2004, 09:19 AM   #11
sameerrao
Regular User

RACE RESULTS

1 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari Winner
2 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari +1.3 secs
3 9 Jenson Button BAR-Honda +10.1 secs
4 10 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda +15.3 secs
5 3 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW +32.3 secs
6 5 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes +33.4 secs
7 4 Antonio Pizzonia Williams-BMW +33.7 secs
8 11 Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas +35.4 secs
9 14 Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth +56.7 secs
10 7 Jarno Trulli Renault +66.3 secs
11 16 Ricardo Zonta Toyota +82.5 secs
12 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas +1 Lap
13 15 Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth +1 Lap
14 18 Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford +1 Lap
15 21 Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth +3 Lap
Ret 8 Fernando Alonso Renault +13 Lap
Ret 19 Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford +20 Laps
Ret 20 Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth +24 Laps
Ret 6 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes +40 Laps
Ret 17 Olivier Panis Toyota + secs

Fucking Incredible Race ....

If you only watched the first few laps you would have thought "Ferrari sucks big time" ... Michael had slipped all the way back to 14th while Rubens who had a massive lead in the first three laps started being passed by Alonso.

What happened was that there was huge amount of rain prior to the race and the track was drying as the race started. Rubens was on intermediates while everyone else on the frist three rows were on dries. Rubens moved mid pack after his pit stop. Michael spun on the first lap. Two factors were responsible for this:
- Bridgestones take a long time to warm up
- The dry tires are very poor on damp comditions

But then slowly the magic appeared ... Michael passed his way back from 14th to eventually finish second behind Barrichello.

Rubens was shortfilled in the second stop and everyone thought that Ferrari screwed ... but Barrichello drove supremely to eke enough lead to squeeze an extra stop without losing the lead.

What about the other contenders:
- Montoya was awesome for the first two thirds but then started to struggle and fall backwards.
- Kimi retired after a superb first stint considering that the Mclaren was on minimal downforce compared to Williams and Ferrari.
- Alonso spun out and was beached in the gravel. Although his engine was still running the marshals refused to restart him. Note that Michael was helped by the marshals in Germany last year when he was in a similar situation.
- Button drove supremely but had no answer for the Ferraris

Old 09-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
sameerrao
Regular User

Post race quotes - courtesy www.formula1.com

Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari (1st):
“I have had a few wins, but this is the first time I win twice at the same race and it is just as magic as the last time at Monza. Some people say F1 is boring but there was nothing boring about today’s race. It is an unbelievable feeling. This has been the best season ever and all that was missing for me was a win. It came because we have a fantastic team and I say a very big thank you to all of them and all our tifosi. Thanks to them, I loved every moment of this weekend. When it is your day, it is your day! It was a difficult decision regarding tyres at the start, but I was worried I might be caught up in an accident with people spinning so I felt it was better to fit the rain tyres and push as hard as possible and try and escape the pack. I had actually chosen a set-up that slightly favoured the wet. Maybe if I had come in to change to slicks one lap earlier, my middle stint would have been easier. Then when Michael and Pizzonia passed me I thought all was lost. But when my fuel load came down I was just pushing all the time and it was a good call from the team to change the strategy. I said to myself, ‘just push the throttle and go.” Then I saw I was P4 and I could see the other three cars ahead so I knew I had a chance. I could not believe it when the team told me I was P1 and said something rude in Portuguese!”

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari (2nd):
“It was an interesting race with interesting battles. I never thought I could go from almost last to second. At the first chicane I could not stop the car in time and then at the second chicane, I got into a nice four wheel slide but Jenson was outside me, we touched and it spun me round. It was very frustrating waiting for the cars to go past before I could start again. But the car worked fantastically well. As for my tyre choice at the start, I knew that really there was no right choice, so when I saw that Rubens had gone for rain I decided to go the other way, so that at least one Ferrari got it right. But with this result, it seems that both decisions were good. Rubens deserves this win as he drove a great race after a fantastic qualifying.”

Jenson Button, BAR (3rd):
"It's fantastic for BAR to move into second in the Constructors' Championship after such a great result today. We came very close to our first victory here but third and fourth for myself and Taku is amazing and I dedicate this podium to the team who have done a great job all weekend. I didn't think the Ferraris were going to be that strong from what we could see earlier in the race, but all credit to them for turning things around in the closing stages. We did a good job to get into third place by the first stops and we had a strong race, but unfortunately not as strong as the Ferraris. In the end I focused on looking after the tyres and extending the gap between myself and Alonso. I think we have an exciting end to the season ahead of us and I now look forward to the challenge of a new race in China in two weeks' time."

Takuma Sato, BAR (4th):
"It was a very spectacular race. We started in damp conditions with half the circuit still wet, so I think everyone seemed to struggle a bit in the beginning. My start was good but I could not pull away at the exit of the first chicane, so I lost quite a few places. Once the conditions improved though I was able to get back on the pace. The most important thing is that the team have come home second in the Championship and the momentum from today must be carried forward for the last three races of the season, which will be extremely exciting."

Juan Pablo Montoya, Williams (5th):
“I didn’t have enough grip at the start and I lost one position to Alonso. My car was pretty good in both the first and the second stints when we were close to the cars in front and quite competitive. However, in the last stint the car became very difficult to drive. After the pit-stop I dropped from 3 rd to 6 th position and I could not keep up with the cars in front anymore because of a gearbox problem. Today we collected some more points, which is good, but you would expect a better finish when starting from the first row.”

David Coulthard, McLaren (6th):
"Considering the circumstances, we have to be relatively satisfied with sixth place. Based on my experience from last week's test I thought it would still be damp in the forest section of the track and decided to start the race on intermediates as did Rubens. However it already became clear on the installation lap that dry weather tyres were the right choice and I went into the pits to change. As a result the team changed my strategy to a one stop. Towards the end of the race Pizzonia hit me from the back whilst he was trying to overtake me under braking. To be honest I was ready for it as I knew he would try something like that and managed to keep the car on the track and salvage three points."

Antonio Pizzonia, Williams (7th):
“My race was basically compromised on the very first lap, when I got hit from behind and spun off. I was very lucky to get out of the gravel and that my car wasn’t damaged but still I dropped to 19 th position. After that, I basically spent my race climbing up the field and I eventually finished in 7 th position behind Coulthard. We were very close and I hoped that I could overtake him but he had more speed than me on the straight and I just couldn’t pass him. I had a good opportunity with a couple of laps to go when David made a mistake in the last corner and I got very close to him coming out of the Parabolica, but we both locked our wheels and hit each other going in to the first chicane, luckily with no consequence for either of us.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Sauber (8th):
"A point was what I expected, but also not what I expected, given the unusual circumstances at the beginning of the race. I was always confident overall that we could score, but to begin with I lost vital time through the combination of low downforce, a high fuel load and dry tyres. But once the track began to dry I felt more confident and was able to start pushing hard and have a very good race. At the end I saw Pizzonia and Coulthard collide and hoped momentarily that I might get even more, but I am satisfied with a point for eighth today."

Mark Webber, Jaguar (9th):
“The rain overnight managed to change the track conditions quite considerably by this morning and so starting the race today was a bit of a lottery on the tyre front. We made a good decision though and I am pleased with how our start went. I was keen to stay out of the collision zone of the second chicane and I managed to do so. The car felt good out there although we were suffering slightly from under-steer that was making it more challenging to drive. The boys have prepared the car well this weekend and I am pleased with ninth position. We have had good reliability all weekend and this is as a result of the hard work that we have been doing. Looking ahead to the final three races, we are all keen to finish on a high and thus will be looking to score as many points as possible between now and the end of the season.”

Jarno Trulli, Renault (10th):
"This was a very tough race for me. I struggled in the opening stages when the grip levels were low - I could not find a good pace and could not feel how the car was handling. As the circuit dried out, the handling improved slowly but the car was still difficult to drive. I was quick towards the end of my stints though, and particularly at the end of the race, but by then it was too late to make up any positions."

Ricardo Zonta, Toyota (11th):
"The start was good. I just took care not to make contact with anyone because I was not sure how slippery the track would be after all the rain that we had during the morning. It was difficult to increase the temperature of the tyres at the beginning when the track was still damp. Every time I was behind another car, I lost downforce and the tyre did not perform. Throughout the whole race, I suffered from low grip levels and I simply had to try and retain my position. I am not pleased to finish in 11th position after all the effort we have put in this weekend."

Felipe Massa, Sauber (12th):
"I had a good start and I think it was the correct decision to go for intermediate tyres on my car. I made up a lot of positions and got as high as sixth at one stage. Once I had switched to dry tyres I got on to a damp patch and slid into the back of Nick Heidfeld. That was annoying because I wasn't even trying to pass him, and it cost me my front wing. Overall, however, the car was very quick and I could match the pace of the leaders. Without my problem I'm sure I could have scored more points this afternoon."

Christian Klien, Jaguar (13th):
“My start was good into the first corner and fortunately through the first chicane cleanly. Although it was not raining at the start of the race the track remained quite damp and it was actually quite tricky at times to drive. For me the beginning of the race was really enjoyable and the car felt very good. I enjoyed racing and the Michelin tyres were working well with the car. We did change my front flap slightly however to help with the balance and some under-steer that I was suffering and this seemed to help. My second stint was a bit tricky with the under-steer and it made the car more difficult to drive. However, going into my third stint I made up some time and aimed for the chequered flag. I did have to do a drive-through though of the pit-lane as it appears that I was speeding in the pit-lane during one of my pit stops. I did overtake the Renault of Jarno Trulli at one point though and that was great fun. Overall I enjoyed the race and I am pleased with finishing. I am now looking ahead to the final three races with the goal of scoring points to help the team finish seventh in the Constructors Championship.”

Nick Heidfeld, Jordan (14th):
“I am relatively happy with what we achieved, as I think we managed to get the maximum from our resources. Early on I had problems overtaking the Minardi because he seemed to have better top speed than me but once I got past, my pace was good. Then Felipe tried to overtake me and ran into the back of my car which did a little damage but thankfully it had no big influence on the balance. We converted to a one-stop strategy which worked out, although it wasn’t easy with a heavy fuel load and having to really look after the tyres. While I would always be happier with a better position, I think we did everything we possibly could have so I’m satisfied with our efforts.”

Fernando Alonso, Renault (DNF):
"The first thing to say is that we will bounce back from this result. Monza was the worst circuit of the year for our car but I was competitive and fighting with BAR. I hope the next Grand Prix will see us climb back up the table. As for the race itself, we made the right decision on tyres at the start, I made a good start and then everything went as normal. Jenson overtook me during the first round of pit-stops, but I was keeping up with him. My spin occurred when I took too much kerb in the second chicane and lost control of the rear end of the car but after that, I was surprised that the marshals decided not to push me, as the rules allow them to. But that's life: we now need to focus on the last three races to re-take second place in the championship."

Giorgio Pantano, Jordan (DNF):
“I don’t know exactly what happened but at Parabolica very soon after my second pit stop, I think perhaps I found some water or something on the track and the car just suddenly spun. I saw Nick running wide there as well, just ahead of me. Once I had spun there was nothing I could do and it was quite a big crash. I’m really disappointed and it’s a shame to retire from my home Grand Prix like this.”

Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren (DNF):
"I think we could have been in a strong position for a podium finish today. However it was not to be, as after only two laps it became clear that my engine was losing water pressure. It was a shame as I made a good start and gained a few places. Things were looking good and this is not the way I would have liked to finish the European season, but at least we now have the pace to fight for victories."

Olivier Panis, Toyota (DNF):
"I am extremely disappointed with the outcome of today's race. I think the team made a good strategic decision to start on slick tyres despite the damp track conditions. I gained a place into the first corner, and I was racing closely with Pizzonia at the second chicane with the field very tight. I picked up a bit of understeer and ran into the back of his car, which broke my front wing. I then ended up in the gravel and my race was over. It is a real shame after what has been a difficult weekend for me."

Old 09-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #13
5vz-fe
Regular User

*EDIT*
Old 09-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #14
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
*EDIT*
LOL - it was becoming too long so I decided to split it

Old 09-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #15
possessed_beaver
Regular User

yes, i was rely suprised by the quality of the race!

i was expecting a shitty race!

i was just hoping that it would start raining.

and i agree with sameerrao what happend with alonso was ABSALUTE BS!!! the marshells are ovisley biast ferrari fans, because in germany, and also indinaplos MS got pushed out by the marshalls, it was a joke!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote