Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 11-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default BMW E63 M6

BMW E63 M6

So, after many months and a long wait, finally two weeks ago my boss gave me the key of his M6 and waved me goodbye while I was leaving his driveway. He promised me the ride in July, but his schedule is quite busy and when he isn't working he is away for holydays :bah: I basically have up by november when he finally told me he was ready.
First sunny WE I decided to stay here in Lugano instead of going to Lausanne and spent half a day with the BMW!

More pics :arrow:

Specifications

Engine - V10, 4999 cc
Power - 500 hp @ 7750 rpm
Torque - 520 Nm @ 6100 rpm
Weight - 1785 kg
Fuel Tank - 70 l
Max Speed (declared) - 250 km/h (limited)
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 4.2 s
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) - 22.7 / 10.2 / 14.8 l/100 km
Tranny - 6 gears manual

Seats - 2+2
Doors - 2
Lenght / width - 4871 / 1855 mm
Height - 1377 mm
Boot -

Exterior

Well, I don't think I'll waste many words about is as it's basically a matter or love or hate. Most ppl don't have the bangle generation BMWs but honestly I never had a prob with them and IMo the 6 is such a proportioned car. In M form it's mean while at the same time someway stealthy, especially in such a color as grey. Only problem for hardcore ppl is probably that it's too similar to a 645, especially when black, but all in all, it's a nice thing to see in the morning in your garage IMO. Those 4 big exhaust pipes, that carbon roof, the big rims. It's a good design job IMO, but I know some will disagree.

Interior

Brillant. Strong German feeling. I wouldn't mind some more colors IMO while this car was black/grey inside too, with piano finish. But it's quite classy, especially this last touch. Plenty of buttons, big screen for GPS and other infos, good supportive seats. I had time to play with the infamous I-drive system and IMO there is nothing wrong with it, but not sure if earlier versions were trickier. Didn't try the back seats, but well, it's a 2+2, no need to tell you they are just for emergency situations or kids.

How does it drive?

So, this part is not so easy. There are to distinct parts to be considered. First, the engine, one of the marvels of the motor industry, free revving, screaming, torquey and coupled with a pretty good paddles system. Second, the car itself, the steering and so on.
If it was just for the engine, this would be one of the best cars ever, but sadly the engine afterall, especially when you have the car for more than half a day, fades away into the picture since you can't keep it constantly above 30 liters/100 km... the M6 isn't as accomplished as I was hoping for. Of course it depends on what you are looking for, but honestly, since there is an M5 in BMW's lineup, I would expect the M6 to be more hardcore than what it really is. It's difficult to explain, because with such a monstruous grunt under your right foot, it is not like you are not temped to give it some gas, and even on small twisty roads, the car is agile when you need it, and storming quick. And yet, when pushing, you feel somewhere inside you you are beyond or beside what this car is meant to do. It is not an autobahn cruiser only, that's for sure, but it's not a sportcar that makes you feel in total control and totally connected. The problems are the usual ones you find in modern cars: terribly overassisted wheel. Really too light IMO, but it has to be said it's quite direct and very precise. Also, the thickness is ideal too. But well, it's just too artificial in the way it turns. Suspensions are quite hard, but the masses at play are very important and even if kept in check, you feel them.
What about the paddles? not bad at all: quick in reactions and easy to use, but when turning they tend to be a problem while a stick will always be in the same place if you would need it (even if you'll have to take a hand away from the steering, i admit it). Downshifting is nice of course with automatic blips of throttle filling the air with high-res screams.
The braking is good, I didn't notice anything wrong in the pedal.
Ah yes, auto mode is awfull!! Slow, vague, imprecise. Downshifting doesn't seem to be considered by it, and even in the sportier modes it's not rewarding at all, actually FRUSTRATING! Did probably 3 km and had to switch back to full manual.
The driving aids? At first I was quite scared by the brute force driven through the wheels, but I soon noticed the traction control was set WAAAAAY too conservative. even at relatively slow speed exiting a second gear hairpin the light start flicking and power is drastically cut. You end up for a second or even 1.5 sec with almost no power pushing you forward.. it's really a disgusting situation, with your head falling toward the steering wheel when the thrust is cut. And it keeps happeneing, making it basically impossible to exit a corner at decent speed. it has to be said the tires on his car where about to be changed, so grip is sure better with new ones, but still.. (BTW, max 8000 km the tires and then they are gone).
So I just decided real men don't need such silly things and turned traction control off. Forgot to say: no idea how the car drives in 400 hp mode, I set it at 500 right away and never went back.
So here we are, 500 hp, hardest setting for the suspensions, no TC, M button depressed on the steering wheel for good measure and also quickest shifting mode even if I think it automatically comes with M..
Well, it's totally different and finally the car starts to make sense. Sure, try to give the stick at a red light and you'll have wheelspin off the line, grip managed to come back but when second is slotted in the wheels loose it again and more screetching
Coming to the twisties finally you can attack a corner like you would in most cars, and you soon discover there is quite a lot of grip, LOT more of what the system seemed to think some minutes earlier. Obviously you need to be carefull in the first two gears and a powerslide is just a few mm of foot travel away, but you can go MUCH faster with no TC.
I did some passings in the same string of corners before deciding I absolutely had to see what happens when you let the rear go.. there was a wide and constant radius uphill hairpin with limited risks involved right before reaching his house in the mountains abouve Lugano, and at the third try I finally dared to just floor it in second and prey
Well, you'll laugh but the way it all happened was quite similar to my old BMW 320i. Not scary at all, just much easier (mine was quite hard to slide on dry tarmac) and easier to control thanks to a very quick steering (now suddently quite handy even if aseptic ). Did it only once since the tires were already pretty much gone, and sadly it was time to take it back, and to explain him why he haeard tires squealing only 2 minutes earlier :roll:
I didn't talk much about pure acceleration, but it's beyond words. Sure, a Lambo or F will always feel quicker thanks to the noise and so on, and probably more dramatic, but the way this car charges to 100 km/h, 150 and beyond is almost unbelievable. And when the needle reaches the redline the world is filled with one of the great sounds you'd want on your i-pod!
Whenever I gave it the stick I could see ppl looking back at me from so damn far away it seemed almost impossible, but it's really LOUD when working hard.
I did some short highway km out of curiosity and I had some incredible luck. two lanes and a red stop light. me in the right lane and what pulls up in the left one? a black M6! LOL, the guy waved at me and so I wondered if he wanted a race luckily he didn't really want to burn rubber, but was enthousiastic enough to accelerate strongly up to 120 kmh (80 kmh zone at first). I decided to sit 2 or 3 meters behind and beside him,, window down, buildings on both sides... what a soundtrack!! rarely enjoyed a straight line dull acceleration like that!! Some minutes later I crossed ways with a german plates black M6.. was definitely an M6 day!

What are the most positive features of the car?

One of the best engines evre

What are the most negative features of the car?

Not enough car around that unbelievable V10

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Trying to fight Porsche at it's 911... uhm... already lost. Sales are proving it. as exciting as this M6 can be, on the long run it isn't definitely as cool as it might seem, and that's a pity because it has enormous potential..

Conclusion

Despite all, I'd like to own an M6 ... I'd just drive it rarely not to be spoiled revving this V10 is one of the most addictive actions ever!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Great write up I would love this car, but I expected the difference in performance between the M5 and this would be more.

Very nice of your boss to let you take it out for a beating
Old 11-15-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Nice review TT, I read it with great pleasure!

Your right revving that engine must be one of the most addictive feels in life, you get the sense your Schumi when you do that I presume

BTW did your boss check the profile on his tyres when you got back, no matter he'll just take it out off your wages
Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
ARMAN
Regular User

Nice write up Matteo I feel your emotions from the writing... you deffinitly need a camera kind of hat on your head while doing tests like that I wanna hear that V10 tooooo :cry:

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
gangajas
Regular User

Great review. I have to say that I like Bangle's designs and that the M6 looks fantastic in that colour. Maybe it's not a perfect car, but there's something about it.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Nice review TT, I read it with great pleasure!

Your right revving that engine must be one of the most addictive feels in life, you get the sense your Schumi when you do that I presume

BTW did your boss check the profile on his tyres when you got back, no matter he'll just take it out off your wages
The profile was already at its min basically, so no biggie
Old 11-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
StanAE86
Regular User

Great review TT. Lucky you!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Exterior

Well, I don't think I'll waste many words about is as it's basically a matter or love or hate. Most ppl don't have the bangle generation BMWs but honestly I never had a prob with them and IMo the 6 is such a proportioned car. In M form it's mean while at the same time someway stealthy, especially in such a color as grey. Only problem for hardcore ppl is probably that it's too similar to a 645, especially when black, but all in all, it's a nice thing to see in the morning in your garage IMO. Those 4 big exhaust pipes, that carbon roof, the big rims. It's a good design job IMO, but I know some will disagree.
Lots of good points. The current M cars are total sleepers. Unless you know what to look for, a debadged M will take you COMPLETELY by surprise. The only M i really have a gripe about is the M Roadster and Coupe. Their hips aren't wide enough whereas their predecessors had the hips of a 50's pinup girl.

Originally Posted by TT
I had time to play with the infamous I-drive system and IMO there is nothing wrong with it, but not sure if earlier versions were trickier.
the E65/6 I-drive system can get a bit hairy because all 8 positions of the compass are used instead of the 4 on the other systems. and really the only thing that makes that one a pain is when you try and slide diagonally and actually slide laterally. Once you sit down and navigate within either system, it gets pretty easy.

in regards to everything else:

Auto mode on SMG takes a lot of getting used to. In the M3 they said lifting off the throttle when it makes it's shift would mess with the system since it already anticipated and compensated for everything. But now with the Drivelogic 3, they are saying if you ease off prior to the shift, engagement of the clutch is much smoother. This system will never be the same as a true automatic though.

The handling of these cars is as predictable as you could ever hope for and in a 500hp beast like the E60/3 and 4, you wouldn't want it any other way. it's almost as if the degree of accelerator pedal is the same as the degree the rear end has stepped out. Lifting slightly brings it back in line and you're good to go again. And yes, the DSC thresholds are too high. But for inexperienced people who buy these things, it's a lifesaver.

The noise the S85 illicits is almost as pure of an aural orgasm as you can get without going to it's F1 inspiration. Especially when going into decel from 7K

I'm sure you still have a stupid grin on your face just thinking about it
Though your neck must be sore as hell fom those Program 6 upshifts

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
TT
Regular User

Thanks for the details, and yes, the quickest shifting setting is a bit brutal, but I compared to what Ferrari can do is lot smoother afterall.. still remember the pain the F355 F1 caused on my neck in sport mode.. just too much to be funny...
Old 11-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
blue8
Regular User

great review! with regard to the exterior, i have no problem with it as well. i'm probably in the minority, but i actually love BMW-bangle designs!!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
yg60m
Regular User

Thanks TT; another welcome and great review
Old 11-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
cooperluke
Regular User

Great car!! Great Review!! Thks TT

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 AM   #13
ae86_16v
Regular User

Another good review. Thanks TT.

I know exactly what you mean about BMWs and the feel when you relate this car with your 320i. Having owning a few of them now, whenever I hop into them, I know exactly I am in a BMW. The "feel" is translated from a simple Z3 all the way up to the 7 Series. It is the same BMW feel, I mean depending on the model and such, some are heavier, some are sportier, some are faster, but you always get that same "feel".

I've driven the new 7 Series, the new 3 Series, and the Z4, and all of them are unmistakable BMW. With the exception of the Z4, I didn't like the exterior styling too much on all the cars. But the engine, chassis, and suspension are a great improvement over their respect old models.

So I am not at all surprise that this M6 is up to par. It is just so. . . Ehh. . . I don't know, I just don't like this design. But underneath all of it, BMW is still an engineering company and they still made a great product!

Thanks for confirming it TT .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote