Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #931
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Martin Brundle is being sued by FIA

F1 Soap Opera Gets Even Uglier: FIA Worked Into Lather Over Criticism, McLaren in Limbo

LONDON — Formula 1's governing body has stirred up a hornet's nest with its handling of two incidents of corporate technical espionage. Now the FIA has pledged to press libel charges against a prominent motorsports journalist who alluded to the group's actions as a "witch hunt."

Martin Brundle, a former Grand Prix driver, wrote in September in the Sunday Times of London that the treatment of British team McLaren "has all the feel of a witch hunt, driven by the very people who have a primary responsibility to the sport."

The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) on Saturday asserted that it will sue Brundle for defamation.

That word came in the aftermath of a hectic week in which McLaren and Renault came under scrutiny. Renault, facing its first action before the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) on charges that it had stolen technical data from McLaren, was found to be guilty of violating the FIA sporting code, but no punishment was meted out.

McLaren received similar treatment when it first appeared before the WMSC on charges of being in possession of technical data from Ferrari, but later, the FIA determined that McLaren had benefited from the information. For punishment, the body levied a $100 million fine and excluded McLaren from the 2007 constructor's championship.

Further, on Friday, the FIA announced that the 2008 McLaren racing car had not been approved for competition because of suspicion that its design incorporated elements of the Ferrari data. Officials postponed validation of the car until February 14, only a month before the season is scheduled to begin in Australia, leaving McLaren in limbo.

What it means to you: This past season's compelling battle for the F1 championship was tainted by on- and off-track controversies; now the 2008 campaign has been spoiled before it could get started. — David Green, Correspondent
-edmonds
On a side note, this Renault Salt/Pepper shaker set costs $2250
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #932
acmarttin
Regular User

What'll they think of next?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #933
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by acmarttin View Post
What'll they think of next?
The salt shaker or the Martin Brundle case?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #934
acmarttin
Regular User

LOL, I suppose my comment was applicable to both cases
Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #935
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Poor Fisichella and Kovalainen. They can possibly look for spots at... Force India... since Ralf doesn't want to go there.
yeah, both are great drivers, heikki might need some more experience... i think that the renault deal is pretty much f'ing em up... but what else can you expect from Flavio?
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 AM   #936
Pokiou
Regular User

Im just curious... cant they use last years car ??
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #937
blue8
Regular User

Heikki Kovalainen has been confirmed as Lewis Hamilton's new teammate at McLaren for next year.

The Finn joins the Woking-based outfit on a long-term deal after an impressive debut season with Renault, and McLaren management are convinced that he and Hamilton will make a 'formidable' combination for 2008.

The team have also confirmed that Pedro de la Rosa will remain as third driver, with Gary Paffett staying on board as tester.

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said: "We had a number of options open to us and as always we want to make sure that we have the most competitive driver line-up and I think that Lewis and Heikki will be a formidable combination.

"Both enjoyed great rookie seasons in 2007 and share a genuine passion for winning and being the best. Heikki made a strong impression and Lewis' performance so far has been outstanding and speaks for itself.

"I am confident that they will push each other on track and work well together off track. In addition with Pedro remaining our primary test driver alongside Gary, we really have a strong package and look forward to 2008."

Kovalainen found himself out of a job at Renault after the team opted for Nelson Piquet Jr. to be Fernando Alonso's new teammate. But he is delighted at his new opportunity, especially as it means he will follow in the footsteps of compatriots Mike Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen.

"I am so excited to join a team like Vodafone McLaren Mercedes," said Heikki. "So far I have been blown away by the dedication and commitment to winning which is clear through the entire organisation and I am really excited about our joint future.

"As a Finn it's an honour for me to follow in Mika and Kimi's footsteps. I haven't really spent a lot of time with Lewis so far but from what I know I think we will work well together and do our best for the team."

Kovalainen's new teammate Hamilton is equally looking forward to the arrival of the Finn, having endured a few tough moments with Alonso last year.

"As soon as the chequered flag went in Brazil I began to count down the days until Australia," said Hamilton. "I am really looking forward to 2008 and working with Heikki as my teammate.

"Together with the team we will do everything we can to ensure that our Championship challenge is as strong and focused as possible. My first year in Formula One was incredible and I was so fortunate to spend it with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and I hope that Heikki will enjoy his first year with the team as much as I did mine."
I'm quite excited about next year's line-up. I think Force India is the only team that have yet to confirm their drivers.

Last edited by blue8; 12-14-2007 at 11:40 AM.
blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #938
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Excellent! Another Finn for McLaren.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #939
sameerrao
Regular User

Excellent news!

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #940
novass
Regular User

Very cool! I like Heikki so hopefully he will have a chance to shine.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #941
5vz-fe
Regular User

Good choice for Mclaren. Heikki has been very consistent in 2007 with a slow Renault
Old 12-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #942
acmarttin
Regular User

Kimi vs. Heikki ?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 AM   #943
ae86_16v
Regular User

Ferrari launching the F2008 on Jan 6th.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/25/f...f-f1-launches/

And to follow:

Toyota will be unveiling its car on January 10, BMW Sauber on January 14, Honda on January 29 and Renault on January 31.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #944
Mattk
Regular User

Kovalainen is one of the better prospects out there. Should fit right into McLaren.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #945
blue8
Regular User

Official 2008 Entry List (only Force India has yet to confirm their other driver):

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
1. Kimi Raikkonen
2. Felipe Massa

BMW Sauber F1 Team
3. Nick Heidfeld
4. Robert Kubica

ING Renault F1 Team
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Nelson Piquet

AT&T Williams
7. Nico Rosberg
8. Kazuki Nakajima

Red Bull Racing
9. David Coulthard
10. Mark Webber

Panasonic Toyota Racing
11. Jarno Trulli
12. Timo Glock

Scuderia Toro Rosso
14. Sebastien Bourdais
15. Sebastian Vettel

Honda Racing F1 Team
16. Jenson Button
17. Rubens Barrichello

Super Aguri F1 Team
18. Takuma Sato
19. Anthony Davidson

Force India Formula One Team
20. Adrian Sutil
21. TBA

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
22. Lewis Hamilton
23. Heikki Kovalainen

Other news:
Ferrari CEO Jean Todt says that seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher turned down an offer to replace him as boss of the Formula One team.

Todt moved on from his role as sporting director at the Maranello team at the end of last season to make way for Stefano Domenicali - with the team having held lengthy talks with former technical director Ross Brawn throughout last season.

Speaking in an interview with German publication Auto Motor Und Sport, Todt claims that his ideal replacement was the team's most successful driver.

"He would have been the best candidate for this job, but he did not want it," said Todt about Schumacher.

Speaking about why in the end the team did not reach agreement with Brawn, Todt said: "Ross is a very good man. His successes with Ferrari speak for themselves.

"We spoke with each other for a long time - about what was best for Ferrari and what was best for him. But it was better for both parties, on a long-term basis, that he went to Honda and we occupied the team boss position internally.

"Ross is now a competitor, but he will remain a friend of Ferrari and myself."

Todt has said he intends to visit a few races next year, although he has not yet finalised exactly how much involvement he will have.

"In the last 15 years I dreamed of being able to watch a grand prix on television in peace," he explained. "But no matter whether I am at the track or not, for me a grand prix will always be stressful. That will only change if I do not work no more for Ferrari."

Last edited by blue8; 01-04-2008 at 12:34 PM.
blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote