Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Rayman: Raving Rabbids

Blows Mario Party right out of the fucking water wait...lemme backup..

So, my girlfriend has a buddy who works at a GameStop, or something like it.. which menat he could get his hands on the new Nintendo Wii. i went to visit her for the Ritual Turkey Genocide and he dropped it off, along with the Rayman game.

Now, for those of you who don't know, the Wii's controller set up is pretty unique, in that you aren't just pushing buttons. You're tilting, twisting, shaking, swinging and flicking the remote and nunchuck adapter to create movements. Right away you can tell this is something you do when drunk with your friends and look like complete jackasses trying to throw a cow by swinging the remote

The whole premise of the game is that the Rabbids have taken over and captured Rayman. Everyday he gets a series of 5 tests to complete. pass the first 3 and the 5th one opens up. You can either do that one or play the fourth before completing the day. The tests are baisically mini games in which you must do things like deliver a package with a burning fuse (think Jokey Smurf), whack Rabbids on the head with a shovel, or find which Rabbid is singing off key and smack the little bastard. And of course, they love to dance, so there is always a DDR style game to play.
this clip has some of the typical games. And controls are all demonstrated by the psychotic looking bunny before each game.

progression of the game depends entirely on how fast you can finish the tasks. But it's really more the entertainment value of the game than it is the plot that will keep you playing it. The game also gives you a good preview of what FPS games are going to be like on the system.

For 250 bucks, the Wii is a fucking bargain. It comes with a remote and nunchuck, and a Sports disc that has Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golf and Boxing, which for a demo disc is also insanely entertaining. Having completely sold out around here, i think it's a pretty good indication that Nintendo is going to be making a strong comeback

Oh, and let's not forget it's backwards compatible with the Gamecube games AND controllers, uses SD memory cards, and you can DL the games from the previous systems but you'll need a controller adapter to play them, remotes are wireless and easy to sync to the console. What Nintendo has sacrificed in graphics, they have made up for in other areas, and made up for it well

There are a few downsides to it though:

1) because the remote is IR, there is a sensor bar that affixes to the top of the TV. At certain times of the day, depending on the glare coming from outside, it will interfere with the sensor and cause the remote not to work so well. Simple repositioning of the TV or covering the window solves this easily.

2) Stretch before playing a game like Rayman. You'll pull something if you don't

3) it seems to be a teensy bit over sensitive to movements, so actions that require you to shake the remote or nunchuck may interpret your coming to rest as another movement. This generally happens at critical moments in the game

Other than that, i'd say why are you still sitting on your ass reading this? Go buy a Wii

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote