Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
Ziploc
Regular User

Default Fear...

Do not play this in the dark with sound. It scared the shit out of me. I was so pussied out in the dark that I turned the sound off. Its really really short which turns me off about its size (600mg) It is scary. Not jump out scary like doom. But build up scary, fool you scary. Story sucks though.

That's the other side of it, unapparent in Monolith's "core concept" of an action movie FPS. F.E.A.R. is a fine harmony of FPS elements, but narratively it's been heavily influenced by Japanese horror, and that's its other momentous trick. The tension overflows from every fire-fight, and as a result the average stroll down a hallway is an uncomfortable experience. Then you slow down for reasons you can't figure out, and your heads-up-display stutters as audio intrudes from an unknown origin; the sound of a little girl laughing. Then an unmistakable shape disappears around a wall. Move forward and there's nothing there, and nowhere she could have gone.

When you mount a ladder to descend, your field of vision sweeps round with your turning body. When you do this later, you see her again for a split-second. This technique of capturing you in a bubble of tension and then stabbing it with the unnatural is something worth appreciating. And over the course of one level F.E.A.R. demonstrates its potential to do this a lot.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10167.shtml
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote