Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
philip
Regular User

Default Disposable diapers more earth friendly

A UK report is apparently being hushed up as it sends the wrong message as apparently disposable diapers are more green than reuseable diapers.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4969413.ece

The next thing we will may find out that driving a Porsche to work is better for the environment than owning a horse.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Mattk
Regular User

Disposable ones are more environmentally friendly. This sort of research has been around for a long time. They are also potentially more hygeinic.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
SinRS
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
Disposable ones are more environmentally friendly. This sort of research has been around for a long time. They are also potentially more hygeinic.
They are just more user friendly. Anyone who has kids and have used disposable diapers knows that those mountains of dirty diapers you have to carry to trash bin are not any way economical. I'm sure they bring in the picture all the water that is consumed by washing the reusable diapers and shit, but that is just bs (baby shit).
SinRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

How is burying billions of tons of baby shit in landfills environmentally friendly? At least with cloth nappies you flush the crap into the toilet and then wash/bleach the cloth ones.

Wash with lukewarm water and air dry.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
SinRS
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
How is burying billions of tons of baby shit in landfills environmentally friendly? At least with cloth nappies you flush the crap into the toilet and then wash/bleach the cloth ones.

Can I say that I'm surprised if you have been using reusable diapers with your kids. Respect!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

What happened to the bleach? Or washing powder? That can't be environmentally friendly. If you don't use it, well it just won't be clean enough. It's all in the chemicals used to continually wash the diapers.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
philip
Regular User

The report deals with your carbon foot print since even though the earth has returned to its 1979 temperature in the last six months that seems to be what every liberal is worried about. In order for a reused diaper to equal a disposable diaper in carbon, you have to wash it in cold water and air dry it on a clothesline and use it for two children before retiring it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

What happened to the bleach? Or washing powder? That can't be environmentally friendly. If you don't use it, well it just won't be clean enough. It's all in the chemicals used to continually wash the diapers.
What happens to the "chemicals"? The same thing that happens the "chemicals" used when you wash yourself and your jeans and go to the toilet... the liquid and solid waste is flushed down the drains and goes to sewege processing plants and the water is processed.

Originally Posted by SinRS View Post
Can I say that I'm surprised if you have been using reusable diapers with your kids. Respect!
I think the secret was potty training our daughter sooner than later. However, I will not lie, disposable diapers are what you do when away from home - you dont need or want a leaky cloth diaper when out and about at eh store LOL

And it is very difficult to air dry laundry in most Houston subdivisions, neoghbours seem to associate air dried laundry with redneck behaviour for some reason...

Last edited by RC45; 10-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
pitfield
Regular User

Lukewarm? Surely a boilwash?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
philip
Regular User

What happens to the "chemicals"? The same thing that happens the "chemicals" used when you wash yourself and your jeans and go to the toilet... the liquid and solid waste is flushed down the drains and goes to sewege processing plants and the water is processed.

I think the secret was potty training our daughter sooner than later. However, I will not lie, disposable diapers are what you do when away from home - you dont need or want a leaky cloth diaper when out and about at eh store LOL

And it is very difficult to air dry laundry in most Houston subdivisions, neoghbours seem to associate air dried laundry with redneck behaviour for some reason...
RC, Did you ever sit out at the Inn on the Park hotel (Four Seasons) pool deck at Riverway (610 and Woodway) before it was an Omni hotel and have a drink.

The lady who lived in the house across the lake from the hotel would still hang her undies on the clothes line in her backyard that faced the hotel. They were paid about 10 million dollars for the land for the hotel and the office buildings, but got to keep the acre that the house was on for as long as they wanted it. The owner of the hotel finally had to buy her a dryer and have it hooked up. They died a few years back and now there is a 30 story condo on the former house site.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
SinRS
Regular User

Yep, I know. We had the strength with the first child to use reusable ones, but with the second child we turned to environmental haters just for the sake of our own mental health.