Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 04-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Shinigami
Regular User

Default Test drove new Lotus Exige S and older model Elise

I'll have some pictures of the Elise later tonight (TT was there during the Exige ride, so I hope he'll post his pics as well sometime), but what can I say.

The Exige hauls some serious ass. The ~220hp makes it quite fast, with the supercharger whine adding some panaché, and it's a really nice looking and handling car in general 8)

Too bad it's a bit on the expensive side... for an extra 30%, you can buy a similar SLK AMG like mine, and IMO, it's just a bit more "car" (but admittedly, some don't like all the extras of the SLK, and would prefer a more "true to heart" track car like a Lotus).

The older model Elise, which was a British Racing Green, had 170hp, and also was very, very quick. However, the horrible, totally scary brakes kinda ruined it. I mean, even planting down hard on the brakes while going 30kph, would still take more then 30 meters to stop =(

After warming them up a bit (and possibly getting rid of the layer of rust), they got a bit more effective at stopping the car, but you really need to downshift in order to stop the car... otherwise it just goes on and on...

The noise it makes was also a lot louder, less comfortable, etc... I say, if you want a Lotus, and you get to choose between an older model, and a newer one. If the price is not a problem, get a newer one. It just feels more solid, makes a more reassuring noise, less wind noise as well, better insulation, etc... etc...

In fact, I'm not sure if I broke that car during my driving session, because during some hard accelerations some 10 minutes into the drive, the engine began making a windy noise, somewhat... like empty, as if a hose broke off or something? =\

Still a cool car, but noway would I use something like this as my only ride. A newer Exige maybe, but not this older model Elise... just didn't feel "safe" and "reliable".
Old 04-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

did you go into a dealership or was it someone else car?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
TT
Regular User

Thanks for putting down on "paper" your impression and thanks for bringing me along in the Exige S! Many Lotus fans complains the suparcharger flattens the power curve and they are missing the kick in the ass the NA Lotus gives you when entering the warp zone.
From the passenger side I someway prefer the linear and never ending shove the S can provide. I was in a normal Exige already and while the upper reach of the revs curve is really mad, down below it's a bit hollow while the S seems to be a killer already at 3500-4000 rpm! And I kinda like the sc whine behind your head

Bloody nice color too sadly not enough time for a proper indepth but very sexy car to take pictures of

Old 04-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Shinigami
Regular User

Thanks for the photos TT. I seem to have left the cable for transferring photos off my Camera Phone, so the MK1 Elise pics will have to come later...

Anyway, the cars we tested were demo's from the dealer. A factory rep drove down with the Exige (thus the British plates) and left the car at the dealership for the weekend.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

Im thinking about trading in my G35 for a Lotus Elise. I first wanted the exige, but from what I read, (even on their website) the Exige is slower in acceleration. I dont plan on tracking all the time, so I guess I'd get more fun on the Elise right? Besides, I get electric windows (dont like the handles on the Exige, but the plain interior on either car is OK by me).
Old 04-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
Wutputt
Regular User

Thanks for the pics and the review!
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
AAlcHemY_
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
However, the horrible, totally scary brakes kinda ruined it. I mean, even planting down hard on the brakes while going 30kph, would still take more then 30 meters to stop =(
It takes a while to get used to the non servo assisted brakes. Stopping distance from 100 is somewhere between 35-40m.

The noise it makes was also a lot louder, less comfortable, etc... I say, if you want a Lotus, and you get to choose between an older model, and a newer one. If the price is not a problem, get a newer one. It just feels more solid, makes a more reassuring noise, less wind noise as well, better insulation, etc... etc...
It's also less of a drivers car, with all the extra weight, different setup etc.

Originally Posted by DeMoN
Im thinking about trading in my G35 for a Lotus Elise. I first wanted the exige, but from what I read, (even on their website) the Exige is slower in acceleration. I dont plan on tracking all the time, so I guess I'd get more fun on the Elise right? Besides, I get electric windows (dont like the handles on the Exige, but the plain interior on either car is OK by me).
Drive them both and see what you like most, never let some internet forum posts change the opinion you have.
AAlcHemY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
sentra_dude

Wow, really cool car to test drive and nice pics TT. 8)

Interesting about the brakes, that would definitely turn me off to the car, maybe the old brakes could be upgraded to some proper brakes?

Btw, thanks for the great write-up Shinigami!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
gucom
Regular User

thx for the review, and thanks for the pics TT! amazing looking red exige 8)
Old 04-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
stmoritzer
Regular User

Thanks Shinigami and TT for your impresisons and pics
damn sexy little toy

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

sounds like fun! thanks for the review.. too bad about lotus and their prices.. i think they ask too much for a celica motor and some aluminum.. :roll: great car, looks GREAT, i love it, i really do! but not at those prices..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
360modena
Regular User

Default Re: Test drove new Lotus Exige S and older model Elise

Thanks to share your impressions now waiting for the pics. I love these kind of cars, especially the abillity to beat much powered cars. I remember a vid where a guy with a 111 beat a porsche GT2 and a F40...

Originally Posted by Shinigami
The noise it makes was also a lot louder, less comfortable, etc...
Tell me you record it
360modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 AM   #13
TT
Regular User

Pics already posted : http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=640479#640479
Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 AM   #14
AAlcHemY_
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Interesting about the brakes, that would definitely turn me off to the car, maybe the old brakes could be upgraded to some proper brakes?
Brakes don't need upgrading, the driver does. No offence Shinigami.
AAlcHemY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
Pehtren
Regular User

Nice review, i also like the looks of this little adrenalin go-kart.

And nice pics TT, thanks
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote