Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #91
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Just try and read, try and read, try and read, etc. Try to understand how a camera works. The lightmeter for example isn't some magic machine inside the camera, it just tries to make everything with the metered range 18%.

Jonh Freeman has written some excellent books about photography, that are also easy to read for a beginner. And they can be had in a Dutch translated edition!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #92
c0wb0y007
Regular User

Sameerrao,

The 1.7 teleconverter in combo with the 70-200mm 2.8 VR is superb 8)

The 1.4 teleconverter doesn't have as much loss as the 1.7 of course. The reason I went for the 1.7 anyway was because, I geuss you will only use a teleconverter when there is enough light availible to take clear images. When this isn't the case you will get too much loss with the 1.4 as well and you would better shooting without one anyway

Although that there is a possibility that I will purchase the 1.4 as well. But the 1.7 is fine.

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/
c0wb0y007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #93
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by c0wb0y007
TopGearNL,

Congrats with your new camera mate. The more you shoot the better you will get. Analyse the pics you take and be hard for yourself 8)

The thing I did after I had bought mine, was reading the manual about the different programs which you can select on the camera.

Martijn has made a good point there, step away from shooting on AUTO. It sucks !!! I like shooting on "S", "A" and "M".

Happy snapping

Cheers
Thanks Cowboy, that really stimulates me. Already found out that you can shoot better pics when stepping out of the AUTO mode. Will read the manual more carefully though!

What did you mostly practise on in the beginning? I can't seem to find anything to make a panning shot.

Just try and read, try and read, try and read, etc. Try to understand how a camera works. The lightmeter for example isn't some magic machine inside the camera, it just tries to make everything with the metered range 18%.

Jonh Freeman has written some excellent books about photography, that are also easy to read for a beginner. And they can be had in a Dutch translated edition!
Thanks martijn for the tip! Do you have it or do you know where I could get it?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #94
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

For panning shots use the S-mode and set the shutter to 1/60-1/125.

I've got his complete serie. Got the books from Scholtens, a local *)-bookstore. Bol.com also has them: click
Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #95
sameerrao
Regular User

Congrats on the camera purchase .... I agree with the others on getting out of the Auto mode. You cant learn anything and it doesnt work well in all circumstances.

When I started out two months back, I used the preset shooting modes - E.g portrait, landscape, etc.

Now, I use the Aperture mode for the most part. I use the F2.8-F5 for those shots where I need to blur the background and F9-F11 for those shots where I want the whole car sharp. Make sure you are not in lowest or highest aperture of your lens to get sharper pics.

When I am in a rush, I use the preset modes to play it safe. For panning, you can use the S mode with shutter speeds of 1/100-1/250. Start with 1/250 and go down to slower shutter speeds as you get the hang of it. The slower the shutter speed, the greater the background blur effect.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #96
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo

I've got his complete serie. Got the books from Scholtens, a local *)-bookstore. Bol.com also has them: click
Not bad his books, and the prices aren't too http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSH...9t8psY6IySnJEc Thanks Martijn!

Bit silly, but would you know a good place or training to train on panning shots ops: 8)
Old 07-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #97
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo

Not bad his books, and the prices aren't too http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSH...9t8psY6IySnJEc Thanks Martijn!

Bit silly, but would you know a good place or training to train on panning shots ops: 8)
First off, congrats on the new camera! 8)

When I first starting taking panning shots, I just went out to the closest road and took pics of cars passing. They don't have to be going very fast, so just a road where cars are going 20-30mph (50km/h). Start from there to get some practice, and then you can move onto more difficult shots, etc. Have fun!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #98
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Congrats on the camera purchase .... I agree with the others on getting out of the Auto mode. You cant learn anything and it doesnt work well in all circumstances.

When I started out two months back, I used the preset shooting modes - E.g portrait, landscape, etc.

Now, I use the Aperture mode for the most part. I use the F2.8-F5 for those shots where I need to blur the background and F9-F11 for those shots where I want the whole car sharp. Make sure you are not in lowest or highest aperture of your lens to get sharper pics.

When I am in a rush, I use the preset modes to play it safe. For panning, you can use the S mode with shutter speeds of 1/100-1/250. Start with 1/250 and go down to slower shutter speeds as you get the hang of it. The slower the shutter speed, the greater the background blur effect.
Thanks, all of your guys tips and figures really help me alot

First off, congrats on the new camera! Cool

When I first starting taking panning shots, I just went out to the closest road and took pics of cars passing. They don't have to be going very fast, so just a road where cars are going 20-30mph (50km/h). Start from there to get some practice, and then you can move onto more difficult shots, etc. Have fun! Very Happy
Might do that tomorrow, Ill see what comes out of it, Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #99
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Another option to try panning is a parkinglot along the highway. But everything that moves will do fine, I also practiced on bicycle driving outside my house.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #100
ae86_16v
Regular User

Agreed. Since I am still relatively new (6 months) with SLRs, I am still trying to understand most of the functions. Right now I am using mostly the pre-set program modes. I am also experimenting with A - Mode, Aperture Priority. That seems to work out pretty well.

I have used full Manual one time, and that was a bit overwhelming . Pretty much none of the pictures turn out at all .

Anyways, read the manual a few times, try to understand as much as you can. Go out and play around with the settings, then come back and read it again.

Like they said, practice makes perfect .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote