Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #31
TT
Regular User

Good boy

Just try to resist long enough to check out a couple of stores: sometimes prices can different quite a lot
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #32
c0wb0y007
Regular User

Dingo,

I hope you can get your hands on a good DSLR mate, good luck with it already. Like I have said before; A Canon or a Nikon it doesn't matter at all. It's all about what people are used to. Canon users will say go for Canon and Nikon users will prefer their brand. The most important thing here is that both brands make the best DSLR's availible on the market today so the camera which you will end up with is great anyway

The main rule in photography is, that it isn't the camera that shoots the picture but the person behind it, a great pic is a great pic ... that's it.

I would like to end with saying this; The advantage that the D350 has over the D70s or D50 is that you can buy a battery grip for it. These battery grips are as far I'm concerned not a waste of money. They add more stability and better grip as well + you are able to shoot constantly a whole day long 8)

Lots of luck with your purchase Dingo, you will end up with a great camera anyway!

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/
c0wb0y007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #33
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
What are peoples thoughts on this kit?

http://www.camerastore.com.au/Nikon+D50+Twin+Lens+Kit+(Black)+18-55+%26+70-300-details.htm

I assume that 70-300mm lense is a cheap one if included in a kit like this....

I'm looking at about $2K for the 350D with 70-300 IS, so this would be a cheaper alternative - but what is the tradeoff?
The 70-300mm is a lower quality lens. Not great, but not bad for the price. I think bought seperately it is only about $100 - $150 US. The same could be said about the 18-55 because it is a slower lens at the zoom end, but nevertheless the optics in that is on par with the 18-70mm. The 18-70mm is better from about 25mm-70mm though.

For an all in one Nikon solution, you might want to look at the 18-200mm w/ Vibration Reduction.

Overall, Nikon's kit lenses allows you to take quality pictures. I have not seen anybody knock Nikon's image quality in regards to its kit lenses; 18-55mm and 18-70mm.

Originally Posted by TT
Originally Posted by sameerrao
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page15.asp

Actually your lens has 36mm-432mm focal range which is phenomenal. It has IS built in which is also great. The aperture range is F2.5-3.5 which is very good.

It would take very expensive lenses for an SLR to match this range and feature capability. If you merely intend to take car shoots which are mostly stationary anyway then your camera should be more than enough. I don't see you getting much better pictures from an SLR.

If you go for races or maybe more low light scenarios then perhaps the SLR will start to make sense.

I would save my money if I were you.
I am sorry, but yes, on paper the specs are impressive, but SLR quality will definitely improve his pics a lot! Not only having a bit more than F3.5 could always help, but also the picture quality in a general way will be MUCH better, no more noise or almost and his camera IMO has too much noise quite often... faster operation times and blah blah. IMO there are just a few bridges that could really make you doubt for a while, but if you have the money and want to go around with a bigger camera, definitely an SLR is always worth it
It's all about SENSOR SIZE! Well 90% of it anyways.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 AM   #34
dingo
Regular User

I DID IT.....as expected I couldn't resist. ops:

I won't get the 70-300mm IS lense until tomorrow but the rest is home with me.....still reading the manual ATM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #35
TT
Regular User

LMAO! battery grip? Back pack or bag?

Well done! Now be sure to practice a lot with your car or less important "sightings", with the 18-55 and especially with the 300. You really want to master it before going to an important event or before your first photoshoot with it
Old 06-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #36
dingo
Regular User

No battery grip, I spent enough and will get that at a later stage. I already have a suitable backpack so no need for a new one.

I have a trackday on Friday and a couple of photoshoots on the weekend so I will be busy before then practising......if I can find time around work. I'll probably go to the carpark soon and try a few night shots just for the hell of it.....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #37
TT
Regular User

Oh you'll see how annoying night pics are without an LCD screen (even better if it's a rotating one) to use

As for the battery grip, if you don't have microscopic hands you'll soon want it because the 70-300 is quite heavy compared to the camera and the grip isn't as good without it
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #38
dingo
Regular User

Yeah I'll miss my rotating LCD screen, not only for night shots but taking high or low angle pics during the day......not sure how I'll get around that.

I'll see how I go without the battery grip for now, but again I'll probably end up buying one sooner rather than later.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #39
TT
Regular User

Oh yes, low on the ground pics are almost to be forgotten. Or you just have to be inventive and use the location at your advantage (steps, walls...)..

Some time ago I had to take this pic:

And I had to take like 10 pics before having an acceptable framing (and anyway I had to heavily reframe in PS)

Good luck
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #40
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Hah, just lay flat on the ground or get an anglefinder.....
Old 06-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #41
dingo
Regular User

Lying on the ground might be an option for photoshoots in quiet areas, but I won't be doing it on a busy main road.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #42
dingo
Regular User

I just went down to my apartment buildings carpark for a few trial shots, my neighbours 1-series probably turned out the best.

Already a noticeable decrease in the level of noise in the photo compared to the S2, thats without really playing around with settings too much.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #43
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

My dad has a PowerShot S2 IS and I used to have a 350D, so I'm well aware of the differences. You'll love yours.....

I would however keep the S2 for movies.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #44
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
Hah, just lay flat on the ground or get an anglefinder.....
something i do periodically... people look at me funny :spaz:

an angle finder would help nicely for those situations

also, Dingo, you hvae the stock 18-55?

one recomendation that will help a lot... never open up to 18mm... go to at least 20 mm, and distortion will be much less noticable
Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #45
dingo
Regular User

Yep I have the 18-55, with the 70-300 on the way tomorrow.....thanks for the tip.