Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default After the EF 70-200 F2.8L IS USM, 17-40 F4L reserved

Well, finally I entered the SLR world myself! Actually tomorrow since the battery grip had to come from another store, so I decided I will pick up the whole bundle tomorrow evening, anyway today I paid for

Canon 350D
18-55 mm lens
70-300 mm tele lens
battery grip
polarizer (obviously)
backsac

Can't wait to test it out!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
No.1
Regular User

Can't wait to see your new pics with this camera too 8)

There was nothing wrong with the Pro1, but the 350D is a dream for me at the moment

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you in total for the whole package? And what are you going to do with the pro1?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

Nice TT, glad you can eventually join the 350D club Getting used to mine took a little while but after a few weeks u know exactly where everything is and a complex camera turns into your best friend.

Image quality is superb.

I would give you some advice though - save up for some L lenses instead of buying regular/3rd party.

When you stick an L lense on your 350D you WILL notice the difference, and it REALLY makes the 350D alive. You really aren't unleashing this camera's full potential unless you go for high quality L lenses. I suggest the 80-200 F4L, possibly with an 1.4X extender for track stuff and a smaller L zoom lense - possibly the 350D specific L lenses they do for close up work. This is all you will need for at least a few years

Happy snapping
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Well for now I will stick for some basic lenses, and maybe in 2006 I will pick up a "pro" one

As for the price, all included it costed 2100 CHF (www.xe.com for conversions)
Old 11-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

I am deciding between the 350D and D50 ..... can't wait for ur shots TT, I am sure they will make my decision much easier.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Darkel
Regular User

As I already said, congrats :good:

Mindgam, you're right but the problem is : as soon as you own such a camera you want to be immediately equipped for all circumstances and you don't really care about your future pro-config
IMO that's some good stuff to begin with; he'll probably sell a few things on ebay one day and buy himself a killer lens like the one you're talking about
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Well for now I will stick for some basic lenses, and maybe in 2006 I will pick up a "pro" one

As for the price, all included it costed 2100 CHF (www.xe.com for conversions)
Yeah, thats not too shabby considering what you got.

I haven't go any L's myself yet (can't quite afford it) but i'm always playing around with my dads lenses, and they really make a difference across the whole camera - not just image quality - but focus speed and flexibility etc.

As soon as you can, get one
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
No.1
Regular User

^^^ Thx for info - xe.com is my preferred currency converter
Old 11-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
TT
Regular User

LOL I hope so. I guess I will still need to learn something, so maybe at first I bet carry both cameras with me, just in case
Old 11-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
dingo
Regular User

Congrats, a nice choice.

What made you decide to buy a new camera, any particular reason?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #11
TT
Regular User

Uhm, difficult to explain, I am the kind of guy that can pass in front of a given item at the store 10'000 times without feeling the need to own it, then one day, I am like ZAPPED from the heavens and I KNOW I can't resist.

It happened for my second PS2 (PAL model while I had already an US one). One day I saw an offer at the store. I say to me I don't need it. Came back home, sit down on the sofa and after 10 minutes I was again in my car.. and came back home with it.

And well, this morning I was in town and saw a bundle with 350D, 18-55 and 55-200... no idea why, I flashed... again I tried to be strong. Came back home and first thing I did was fire up the PC to check reviews about that 55-200 which turned out to be quite crap. Instead of beeing happy and stop the frenzy, I went back in town in a specialized little store, talked with the seller for a while and ended up with an offer.. basically for the same price I got the much better 70-300 and amost all the accessories. It was impossible to say no.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
MIHALS
Regular User

wow, congrats Matteo!!! I just bought my A200, so my 350D is still waiting somewhere on the drawing sheet .... I need to learn use this cam first and then maybe in 2 years I'll go for SLR... at this time, my camera has too many features compared to my 2 Mpix cam and carrying the user manual with me is a daily routine ....

so, enjoy your new toy, play with it a LOT, so we can see your fantastic pickies and mainly, have fun with it!!! (I know you will )
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
TT
Regular User

Oh boy I will luckily it shouldn't be too different from my Pro 1 just a bit better
Old 11-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
MIHALS
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Oh boy I will luckily it shouldn't be too different from my Pro 1 just a bit better
luckily for you, but unfortunatelly not fo me . but everybody has to get through those first days of learnig, so tomorow I'm going to do some hunting 8)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #15
TT
Regular User

Sure! it would be totally wrong to start shooting with an SLR, it's better to go step by step